1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TE JAMES CASEY- the unspoken Wildcat Weapon

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ToddsPhins, Mar 17, 2009.

1. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    This is my first thread here. :thumbup1:
    Through draft talk so far, Pat White has received much, if not all, of the consideration for adding an extra dimension to Miami's Wildcat.... however, the man we should be talking about is Rice TE, James Casey, arguably the most athletically gifted talent this year (also an Academic All American). IMO he is the best TE in the draft, and we have yet to see his best football.

He's an ex QB who has lined up everywhere from running back to WR. Casey can catch and run routes like a receiver and do all Sporano would ask of him as a blocker. In 08, he had 111 catches for 1,329 yards. James would potentially become the most valuable, dangerous weapon on our offense (alongside Ronnie) and will provide great leadership/attitude as a future "core" player.

White's career as a QB/WR in the NFL is uncertain, where as Casey has proven that he can be more than just an added wrinkle to our offense. They will both aid the Wildcat, but Casey has a more certain long term career and should become a tremendous replacement to the aging Martin in a year or so.
    Thoughts????

2. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    sounds good to me. Are you willing to spend our 3rd on him if we don't trade Satele?

3. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I went to Clemson and am a huge fan of the Tigers, so that would be a reallllly tough call if I were the boss!! Scott can be as versatile on our Dline as Casey can be for our offense.... and both are hugely underrated. Dorell played DT, so that's how most have rated him... but as a 3-4 DE, he will have a huge NFL career. He's the perfect guy for our Line rotation: he's big, quick, and strong with a great motor and leadership/character value who can stuff the run and help collapse the pocket, which Cameron Wake would love on his side of the field!!

IMO they would both be key pieces to the puzzle and I wouldn't want to miss on either of them.

If it came down to it, IMO, I'd draft Casey over NT Ron Brace in the 2nd due to his injury history....especially since Scott has the frame to play at 330 pounds where he can potentially move to NT.

4. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    yea i like the casey pick in the 3rd i don't think he'll be there and i also like or would prefer depending on the 3 picks b4 the 3rd another ol or dl.

5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Thanks DW. How do you feel about taking Casey in the 2nd over slightly injury plagued Ron Brace and using the 3rd on Dline (Dorell Scott).

Con brought up QB Zach Miller from U Nebraska Omaha. Very similar in terms of physical skills and player type.... just one being a college TE and the other being a college QB, but both can run like a powerful back.

That would be an interesting debate on who would bring the most value to the table VERSE the round that we would have to draft them in.
    Thoughts?????

6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    There are some of us who are in love with this kid, and have been talking him up for a while, me being one of them, for me its come to casey or white in the third. Casey is a strong strong kid, physically and mentally, that boy has been thru a lot and i respect him tremendously.

As far as his game goes, well, we are an offense that is taking diversity to the next level, the combination of smashmouth/ wildcat is something that this league has never seen before, and with casey on board, his ceiling is endless, this offense fits him and he fits us..."like a glove". Guy runs a 4.55 at 245 lbs, 0 fat on his body, can run, catch and pass..

I would spend our third on him in a second. He's one of the surest players in this draft. worthy of a grade a lot higher then a third.

As far as pat white goes, i think his makeup is right there with Casey, were talking about a high quality human being who is an all around football player, their only difference is size and strength. They both bring unique skills to this offense and i will be really dissapointed if we dont get one of them, especially considering where this offense seems to be going. Its obvious to me that the F.O, coaching staff and players are on board to imbrace it, these two players are PERFECT for what were trying to do here, on many different levels, physically, emotionally, mentally.

late again and ToddsPhins like this.
  7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Great post, DJ. Thanks. Dig the hand like a glove quote. I'm glad there are others out there like me who love this kid for us. Regular draftniks dont really think about him this way.... only White really. Con showed me a good article that sealed my desire for Casey over White because of his physicalness (even though it was about Zach Miller). I'm not sure if you read it.... but it basically summed up the fact that if you want someone who really only can "break one off", then you might as well pass the ball, where as James can provide us the tough yards more consistently.

I also like Casey's upside as a TE better than White as a WR/QB, and I don't see any bust factor there what so ever. :knucks: I'm 34 but I'll give ya the knuckles. LOL. This is hard for me to say b/c White is one of my favorite FB players this year. I hope more than anyone else coming out that he has an awesome Pro Career.

Now comparing him to Miller: I think I'd still take Casey over Miller b/c of what he will bring outside of the Wildcat, for which I would spend our 2nd 2nd rounder on....even if we can get Miller in the 5th. I really don't care if we have 2 good TE's right now or not. IMO you become a dynasty by becoming better at every position possible. If that opportunity presents itself, I would always take it if I were the boss. :D Martin is aging and he'd be the perfect complement to Fasano in BP's system IMO... not to mention bringing the extra physicalness needed to the receiver position if we can split him out at all. ??

djphinfan likes this.
  8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

You're right about the size issue. The Wildcat is made for a bigger back running the ball, not so much for the smaller, quicker guys, although a smaller, quicker guy who can take the pounding in the middle would be the ideal guy.
    But Casey does bring some versatility that Sparano craves...giving him that many more options off of the Wildcat formation...I'd do the 3rd on him...and who knows, he may even be a decent 2nd TE opposite Fasano...

ToddsPhins likes this.
  9. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Hahaha. I was typing that the same time you were. Beat ya to it though. LOL.
    Ummmm can I sum it up that we can get Time Tebow this year rather than next.... only wearing a different name and possibly a few rounds later. :D.... ooops, almost forgot- who can catch, too. YAY!!

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I think if a gun was put to my head, i will take casey for the reasons you suggest, his potential at the tight end h back positions seem to be higher then white trying to get playin time from ginn, bess, or cammy. when casey is out in route catchin balls, he kinda reminds me of a bigger stronger anthony gonzales, uncanny way of finding seams in the zones, knows how to sit, has great hands and fights for yardage. The excitement of a player like him in the backfield in wildcat formation, has me freakin pumped. i would take him with our 2b as well, the thought of losing him would break my heart, yes, iam that attached to this player. The only thing that would mend it would be pat white though,lol.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    I like your posts dj. You have a way of allowing people to enjoy what you have to say. ;) In all honesty, if there were no one really worth taking in the 1st, I'd take him there (besides Barwin LOL). I really dont care what round I take a guy in if he's a huge contributor to the foundation of my team.... even if he's a consensus 2-3 round grade. But that's just me.... I mean, where's the unwritten rule that you have to pass on a guy who you really like only to not be able to draft him later on? :headscratch: I guess if it were an unwritten rule, no one couldn't show me!! hahaha.

I feel the same way about Connor Barwin as you do about Casey.... and I'm beginning to feel this way about Casey now that the idea of him in the wildcat finally clicked in my head.

If it's my team, I'm taking Barwin 1st, Casey 2a, DE Dorell Scott 2b to get the guys I really know will contribute.... and figure out the rest later. Isn't it accurate that 3 guys from a draft who contribute is considered average? Well there's 3 right there! LOL. I think I need to ammend my Phins draft. :D

djphinfan likes this.
  12. dwhorton

dwhorton New Member

Mar 6, 2009
    well i'm not real high on ron brace so dorell scott, sammie hill ,terrence knighton,and myron pryor maybe better options later in the draft oh and roy miller. i don't know that any of these guys can play the nose though. here is a little tidbit on myron pryor though. during the combine charles davis was talking about how some of the SEC olmen were saying pryor gave them the most trouble.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  13. BIGOLDTACKLE

BIGOLDTACKLE New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    I watched one of James Casey's interview and he said he had a private workout with Miami at Rice and it went well.:up:

ToddsPhins and djphinfan like this.
  14. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Thanks. Thats awesome to hear! Phins going to rice....even better. :up: I'd welcome him and/or Jarrett Dillard to Miami.

Is it Bi Gold Tackle, or Big Old Tackle? LOL. j/k.
    That's an IOU to crack on me whenever I leave myself open.