1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team captains announnced

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    The Dolphins have selected their five captains for the 2017 season, and they include three holdovers from last year along with two different players.

Wide receiver Kenny Stills and defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh got the nod for the first time, joining repeat captains Mike Pouncey, Cameron Wake and Michael Thomas

Players voted for the captains — two on offense, two on defense and one on special teams.

“It’s an honor always,” Stills said after practice Thursday. “Since Coach (Adam) Gase has been here, I’ve just been trying to do things the right way and lead by example. I guess my teammates rewarded me for that.”

For Thomas, the honor is particularly significant because of the road he took to get to this point. Thomas was undrafted out of Stanford and spent a year-plus on the San Francisco 49ers practice squad before the Dolphins signed him in December 2013.

“It’s a huge honor,” Thomas said. “Two years in a row, special teams captain, that means a lot to me, especially coming from where I came from to enter this league. In this game you earn the respect from your peers across the league, but it’s big when you get it from your own teammates, (and) they see you as a leader.”

Before practice Thursday, offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen talked about Pouncey’s leadership and its importance for the offense.

“We’re still a young unit,” Christensen said. “We still have a lot of young guys. We’re still stressing what a pro looks like, and he is that. He knows how to walk through. He knows how to take notes. He knows how to study. He knows how to be ready to go. He has his fun when it’s fun time, but when it’s football, the guy’s all business, and we need that. We need that on our unit and more and more guys are starting to fall into that role, (and) really, he’s critical for that.”

2. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Was this announced Friday? I am grabbing at straws, but I wonder if this could be related to Timmons?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    Apparently this isn't a team issue, it's a personal issue. Something outside the team upset him and he left to go deal with it or responded badly to it.