1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team has collapsed; Hope for 2012?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Dolphins1Beatles, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    It's crystal clear, the coach is defeated and knows he will be fired. The players know there will be a new staff in Miami come January and that they won't be in the playoffs...so deep down they aren't going to play their hardest. Some will, but not all.

Even the talented players are playing like dog****. We have more talent than in 2007, but will probably still finish 1-15 or 2-14. Something happened that sent this team downward starting in December 2010. From 11-5, a tough 7-9 and then beating the Packers and getting screwed with the Steelers and all of a sudden it was like everything came crashing down and the team forgot how to play? They went from being a tough game on every schedule from Sept 2008 to November 2010 to being flat out awful starting in December 2010? There are big holes and we don't have a QB, but coaching is probably the biggest blame.

So when a new staff comes in here with a fresh, winning attitude and hopefully a great system, does that instantly bring hope of a turnaround? They'll get rid of those overpriced Ireland players, sign some new free agents, will have high draft picks, possibly Andrew Luck...does hope return? For me it does. It happens every year in the NFL. We saw it ourselves from 1-15 to 11-5.

We've really hit rock bottom. It can only go up in 2012....right?

2. Mrtree

Mrtree Juan Huron's agent

Dec 8, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Hope returns instantly with Andrew Luck and a competent coaching staff. QB play and coaching are the cause of 90% of our woes.

3. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Once Ireland and Sparano are gone, my hope will reappear. I have no doubt Ross will do whatever he can to bring in a quality GM and HC in 2012. I think with how lousy Ireland has done in bringing in talent, it will take about three years for the new regime to get the Dolphins into playoff contention. As long as I see the team is headed in the right direction and showing improvement, I am always hopeful. I just don't see this with Ireland and Sparano running the organization.

4. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    There will be hope, but this won't turn around overnight.

5. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Hope for 2012, and all the subsequent years after? Not a real fan imo.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Depends, for example the Bills went 4-12 but finished strongly and that set them up for good sucess this season.

7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Yeah, but we all remember 2005 winning final 6 games into 2006 disaster with the Dolphins.

The NFL is probably the most unexpected league. Big changes happen year to year. The addition of Harbaugh to the Niners has them closing in on a division title after being 6-10. And they played some tough teams during this 5-1 record.

That is why Cowher/Gruden/Whoever should bring instant hope, especially with Luck. I wouldn't expect anything more than 8-8 or 9-7, but we can be surprised. It's easy to have hope when you hit rock bottom and have a shot at one of the best QB prospects.

8. Larry Little

Larry Little Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Getting a franchise QB is what will turn this team around. Us getting Pennington, and the Pats losing Brady, was the difference for us in '08. I think it may be more important than getting a great head coach.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Just wanted to point out about the 49ers...they are loaded with high rd draft picks if one things about it.

Off the top:

Alex Smith #1 overall
    Davis #6 overall
    Ginn #9 overall
    Willis #11 overall
    Iupati # 16 overall (iirc)
    Crabtree #16 overall (iirc)
    Aldon Smith #7 overall (and with 5.5 sacks, the experts were wrong again)

We are not in that situation, we've moved back and away from the top talent, something I do hold against Ireland, you needed playmakers, we have blue collar guys...by design.

10. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    The thing is, all the current players have a lot of incentive to play well. Their play will be seen by the whole NFL, and if they want to get paid well, or even get paid at all for that matter, they have to play well. Their current play greatly impacts their future in the league.

11. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I don't think anything will bring the Dolphins instant success, not Luck, not Landry or any of the high profile coaches. It would be great if it happened but I wont let myself be lulled into a false since of security or success, it will have to be proven to me. What happened after the 11-5 season was a huge reality check. Nothing is guaranteed, and nothing is a given. It will have to be earned and proven by the new coach and his staff.
    This has been a long frustrating and stressful period in the history of the Dolphins with enough disappointments to last a lifetime. Somebody has got to bring back pride and respectability to this team and I think Cowhar, Gruden or maybe Fisher gives us the best hope for that.