1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Team Officials push prospects buttons to get a look at there character

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Apr 20, 2008.

1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/football/pro/dolphins/sfl-flspdraftmind20sbapr20,0,6718382.story

Character is going to be a very strong part of what we draft and who we draft," Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland said. "We check everything. We've got guys checking academic people. We've got guys calling the local sheriff. We've got security people, we're talking to the trainers and the strength coaches."

Brooks gained most of her experience during a seven-year stint as in-house psychologist for the Cowboys, where her contributions overlapped Bill Parcells and Ireland's time in Dallas before both joined the Dolphins' front office. From Brooks' standpoint, the troubled players of tomorrow can be identified during the evaluation process, and then Parcells generally avoided players with character concerns.

azfinfanmang, first&goal and alen1 like this.
  2. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Thats really interesting and smart imo.

"One coach asked me where's my gold teeth," said former Hurricanes linebacker Tavares Gooden, a former St. Thomas Aquinas standout. "Another told me, 'You speak pretty good English for a guy from Miami.' And he said it with a straight face. I made sure I pointed out I got my degree last year. I'm no dummy."

:lol:

Ireland's comments :"Character is going to be a very strong part of what we draft and who we draft," Dolphins General Manager Jeff Ireland said. "We check everything. We've got guys checking academic people. We've got guys calling the local sheriff. We've got security people, we're talking to the trainers and the strength coaches."

3. bkbuffet

bkbuffet Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Omaha, NE
    Interesting article. Thanks for the link.

4. first&goal

first&goal Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Charlotte
    Nice articles, thanx for the link John.

5. finsgirlie

finsgirlie break my Luxury Box

Dec 2, 2007
    Fantasy Land
    its funny that character is such a big part in who we draft, but they're already picking up criminals in free agency???? At least 2 of the guys we've picked up so far have been arrested in domestic violence and one was indefinitely suspended from school. Wow, some character screening they got going on there!!!