1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Ginn is the new Chris Chambers

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 22, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/columnists/hyde/blog/2009/09/is_ted_ginn_now_chri.html

Hyde nails the boy blunder...:lol:

Eh, I find myself in partial agreement, "perhaps" 11 catches 108 yards is what we can expect from Ginn, but then again, he came up big in the Jets Game and kick off back for a TD in the national title game, Ginn is not afraid of the spotlight, however it is yr 3, what Ginn does this season is what we should come to expect from Ted Ginn.

He still has 14 games to go though.

2. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    If Ginn has around 90 catches and 1000 yards this season I wonder what everyone's opinion will be of him then?

But Chambers comes down with that catch last night.

Xeticus and steveincolorado like this.
  3. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Hyde needs to rewatch the film then. It didn't "slip through his fingers" and he surely doesn't have the mental lapses that Chambers had. Ginn didn't come down with two tough grabs in the endzone, both of which were a little off the mark from Pennington, and suddenly people think he sucks.

People need a reality check, there's really no way around it, IMO.

4. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    It's almost like its a requirement to bash a player. The guy had a good performance last night, drops what, two balls? and he's given hell. Almost like there's zero positive side to him. Nobody wants to mention the one hundred and some even number of yards or how great his route running looked, how he separated using his upper body or how he came back to the quarterback to extend some drives. It's all about those two passes he dropped.

Rocky Raccoon, Bpk, Bumrush and 8 others like this.
  5. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    The sentiment makes sense.

However, the one thing Chambers did do if nothing else was come down with catches like that. And he was fantastic toeing the sideline.

Look at that big comeback game against Buffalo in '05 for example. Granted that was the best game of his career, finishing with 238 yards. But the final play of the game was the 4th down jump ball fade in the corner of the endzone with the DB draped all over him (which was called PI). Ball game.

Perhaps if we had a vertical QB Ted's redeeming qualities would shine. He has definitely gotten better as a route runner. His hands alone are quite good. And he does get open deep, even if the ball doesn't come his way. But even with that, he is not a #1 WR.

Not bashing the guy. Just calling it like I see it.

6. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    I'm not a huge Teddy Ginn supporter. But, I'm not gonna hang last night's loss on him. Defense and coaching cost us that game. Period.

Could he have won that game for us by making that catch. Absofrickinlutely! But, he didn't. Why? Well, in part because he isn't an elite WR. Simply put, he lacks the size, strength, and physicality that most of the elite WR's possess. So, from that standpoint...yeah, what you see is what you get.

I still say he has a role on this team and in this offense though. If we can ever get a true #1 WR (either in the draft or in FA), not to mention a QB that can stretch the field, then I think Ginn and The Dolphins will be better because of it.

JMHO...

7. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    You expect your NUMBER ONE WR to make that play when the game is on the line........if he can't. Then you need to find a new #1.......bottom line.

Ginn is turning into a good possession receiver who's supposed to be our big play guy....

Xeticus and dirtywhiteboy like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Because those two drops were game winning plays potentially, not some dinky 2 and 7 drop, those two mattered to the outcome of the game.

To me the attempt to minimize that makes -0- sense, call a duck a duck, Ginn flashed some great receiving skills, so did Chris Chambers, CC fans for years said "be patient, he will come around" and he never quite did, Hyde is merely saying Ginn promises a lot with his talent, he rarely delivers, ala Chambers.

The difference is Ginn still has 14 games to show he is better than CC, if anything Hyde is making the comparison far to early, if he had written the same thing in December than maybe he is right.

dirtywhiteboy and Bpk like this.
  9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Chambers would make the outstanding catch, and drop the routine one.

Ginn was money on 3rd downs yesterday, what are the chances Chambers drops a couple of those and we don't even get a chance to win with a catch at the end?

Either way, we knew who Ginn was when we drafted him. I don't think Ginn has ever teased us with his potential like Chambers did, nor do I think we've begun to tap Ted's full potential.

NaboCane and resnor like this.
  10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I fail to see your point here when I think a good number of us agree that he's not a number one; he's a number two that is playing the number one role due to the lack of elite talent at the position and I think there's a good number here that would say we need a number one wide receiver.

When we have a quarterback that is willing (or can) to stretch the field, then we are likely to see Ginn become that big play guy. He was a big game guy last night though but there's very little mention of that. He extended a few drives by getting open.

Tone_E and HardKoreXXX like this.
  11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    How do you figure? This post is mind boggling...

The first TD he didn't get was because he didn't have field awareness. He slowed to get two feet in bounds with 3-4 yards of space. That's just a fact...If he runs hard he makes the catch and gets two feet in.

The second TD missed opportunity was plain as day. I've seen the angles too... He had two hands on the ball, and dropped it. The CB had very little to do with Ted Ginn's second mental lapse on a potential TD.

Xeticus and steveincolorado like this.
  12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Some of those dinky plays he came up pretty big in and extended a couple drives IIRC.

He's entering his third year and it's been two weeks. I think we can all agree on the third year being the key one, yes?

I agree with that.

13. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Hurry, someone else start another thread to talk about the same exact thing. My god. It is what it is. Ginn didnt catch the ball at the end. Cry me a river.

If that was Camarillo, Bess, or Hartline, what would the reaction have been?

14. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Someone started a thread because a Dolphins Reporter compared Ted Ginn to Chris Chambers, which is a somewhat valid comparison, if a bit early.

Ginn could easily use this game as a springboard as he was targeted 16 times last night, catching 11, against SD he could go off for even more yards and maybe a couple of TD's...or he could disappear.

15. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    "We should have thrown it to Ginn!!!!" or "you can't expect a rookie to make a play like that!"

16. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Yes but Chambers was also a wide receiver built for the jump ball. He had a ridiculous vertical leap.

What Chambers wouldn't have done was catch that many balls. Ginn caught 70 percent of the passes thrown to him. Chambers was always around 50 percent.

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    More like "Ginn couldn't get open when it counted"

18. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Same reaction... Anytime a wr gets two hands on the ball, it needs to be caught. Simple enough.

19. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    :lol: That is exactly what people would be saying.

unluckyluciano and Alex44 like this.
  20. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    There's also a good number of ppl that have convinced themselves he's something that he'll never be....including our FO.

Ginn will never be a big play guy because big play guys make those catches....Ginn doesn't play with enough heart. A lot of talent and very little in the jock strap.

dirtywhiteboy and CashInFist like this.
  21. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Can you clarify your statement above? It doesn't make sense to me but maybe I'm a little slow. Thanks, bro.

Also, are you speaking on behalf of the FO? Really?

You're questioning his heart based off of two plays he didn't make? No disrespect but I find that silly.

Stitches likes this.
  22. jaxdolfan

jaxdolfan Journeyman

Apr 16, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I like Dave Hyde, but he needs to check his facts.

The year we had Linehan and Frerrotte...Chambers was a stud!!!

Ted Ginn is is more like Troy Williamson than Chris Chambers.

23. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Troy Williamson wishes he was Ted Ginn

GISH likes this.
  24. Agua

Agua Reality: Try It!

Apr 28, 2008
    Robert Ford said this about Chambers, and I think it applies to Ginn as well; he seriously needs some agression therapy (maybe testosterone shots) - he's doesn't have the mindset of its his ball and he's going to get it, no matter what.

dirtywhiteboy likes this.
  25. jaxdolfan

jaxdolfan Journeyman

Apr 16, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    'sup Brett.

26. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I habe a different view of the first Ginn td that could have been. I think he slowed up to keep the defense back, and then tried to jump out at the last second to make the catch. I thought it was a good play by him, but the ball floated a little farther than he expected.

When he has a QB who can throw the deep ball, then we'll see if he's a game changer. Right now all he can be is a possession receiver because we can't use his greatest asset: his speed. The talk of bust, and cut him now, is unwarranted.
    Posted via Mobile Device

27. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    I've seen the plays, I've seen frame by frames of the plays... I don't know what else to tell you other than I really disagree your with analysis of those plays.

28. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'm speaking of the Ted Ginn protectorate......every time one of his flaws ere pointed out, they're the ones shouting from the roof tops every year that " Our boy teddy will show you doubters, just you wait".

And the FO didn't go out and get anyone to compete with him for the #1 spot, he was the only WR penciled in from the get go...obviously they felt he was number 1 caliber.

I'm basing it firstly off the fact that I have NEVER in my entire life seen a NFL player, play more scared or be so reluctant to make any contact. Never seen a WR in such a hurry to find the ground or the side line.

29. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You need to watch more football then.

Marvin Harrison avoided contact, no one *****ed about that.

30. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    ginn got nailed chasing after a ball ind ouble coverage that penny threw, he also manned up and took responsibility for this. Not sure how you define what is in a jock strap, but maybe you should go read up a little bit more on it. :lol:

GridIronKing34 likes this.
  31. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Firstly, I watched more football before you were born than you have in your entire life...

Secondly, comparing him to Marvin Harrison means you might ought to take your own advice.

32. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I'm expecting Aqua to come in and say "What was wrong with Chris Chambers?"

I'm still wondering why Turner was inactive, isnt this why he was drafted, to make the jump catches?

33. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    If Ginn catches the game winning TD against SD he'll be the next Jerry Rice. Overreaction is rampant after a tough loss, this nonsense directed at Ginn is just another example of that. It's kind of bad when Jets fans on a Jets board are able to see and defend Ginn after last nights game, yet we pick the kid apart with scalpels like he's from another planet.

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Looks like fresh eyes are needed :tongue2:

35. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Hey man I went out and got glasses when things started gettin blurry, give the old guy a break :shifty:

Agua likes this.
  36. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I'm not bashing on him because of last night.......Ginn not making that catch isn't shocking to me.

He's the wrong guy to be throwing jump balls to...

That being said.......he's not a #1 WR

37. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    Squirrels spend alot more time inside of trees than I do, but I think I understand a little bit more about what a tree is and it's place on this planet than the squirrel does. Point being, the argument of "I've watched more football" doesn't necessarily mean that you have a better idea of what to look for from a technical POV.

He wasn't comparing him talent-wise, he was giving you an example of a WR who avoided contact like some are claiming Ginn has done, which personally I don't see with Ginn. He isn't going to run through a brick wall like Welker, but he isn't afraid of contact.

38. like2god

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    That's an issue you'll have to take up with the coaching staff, and I might even agree with you. Ginn isn't 6'4", those are the type of WR's and TE's that you want to throw jump balls to in the endzone. That isn't a knock on Ginn's ability, it's just commonsense that you utilize your players by taking advantage of what they do best. That doesn't happen with Ginn because we don't have a QB who can do that.

39. Linus

Linus Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 9, 2008
    Some of you guys talk like great receivers have never dropped a pass, either. You can look at any "drops" statistic (not sure which is the most accurate) and the "stars" I keep seeing mentioned in all these threads are right up there too. For example:

http://sports.myway.com/nfl/stats/passesdropped.html

Last year....Brandon Marshall, Roddy White, Calvin Johnson, Marques Colston, Terrell Owens, Greg Jennings, Randy Moss, Steve Smith, Santonio Holmes, Desean Jackson all had the same amount or more dropped passes than Ted Ginn Jr. While it may not be the most accurate...at least it shows some of you that the big-time receivers drop balls sometimes too.

To say that every single one of those guys I just mentioned makes that catch in the endzone 100% of the time...is just ridiculous. Most of them (especially Moss) would have gotten an interference call for the defender putting his hand inside his shoulder pads...but not every "great number 1" makes that catch every single time. Michael Jordan doesn't make every game-winning shot, Tiger Woods doesn't make every winning putt, and Randy Moss doesn't catch every single game-winner.

And I've heard 500 times in the past 12 hours "they ALL make that catch." Well, they all don't make that 1-handed grab in Seattle last year. Does that make all of them terrible, horrible receivers? Ridiculous.

Putting that game on anyone (Ginn and Pennington included, whom I have been hard on both personally) other than the defense...who couldn't do what is taught the first day of 2nd grade pee-wee practice...to tackle!!!...then I don't know what game you were watching.

"Ted Ginn is paid to catch the ball!!!" Well, the defense is paid to tackle, and there were sure a lot more missed tackles last night than there were missed touchdowns.

40. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Possibly the best post I've seen since the loss. Though I do have to say those guys caught more balls and were targeted more often, which may be why they dropped the same. Doesn't take away from the fact that everyone drops the ball sometimes.

Linus likes this.