1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Ginn Jr. I officially put you on notice

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Hobiesailor, Sep 22, 2009.

1. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I just want to mention why do you expect a Receiver that has top class speed to be turned into a 10-15 yard route runner and someone who goes up for jump balls? Ginn obviously does the best that he can do he doesn't have 40 inch Vert nor does he weigh 215.

Ginn is the home run threat a guy that will burn a defense however were not using his strengths because we have a QB that does not take enough risks. So to put the blame on Ginn for the reason we loss is just being stupid.

The fact is as long as we have Pennington Ginn will never be used properly. I think its awesome that finally were getting him involved in the passing game but when we were pounding that rock I wish were would have utilized the PA instead of using the PA when it didn't even matter.

Boomer and cnc66 like this.
  2. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Because he isn't that type of player. He is a pure deep threat not a possession Receiver. He showed Monday that he could possibly be but thats not his strengths as he avoids contact. He doesn't have the body to take body shots over the middle.

3. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Actually from what I have seen Ginn is great at holding onto the ball as he takes a shot. He did it against the Colts. He just doesnt initiate contact.

Stitches likes this.
  4. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Ok...then what do you suggest we do with him?

Because as of right now, he's looked better as a possession receiver than he has as a play maker..

5. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ

I agree and i was one that loved the Ginn pick ,but to smart enough to realize he should not be our number one reciever and we should of pick someone up.

Its not about hating our own team we all have different views and I say to wait and see what Ginn does this season but Im 100% he will not turn into anything we thought he would.I say hes a good 2nd or 3rd at most..

6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yes but overall I think he would rather not take a hit.

Umm well you start him because he is the best Receiver on this team thats what you do.

That really isn't fair considering it was 1 game. Now lets see what he can do in 14 games.

7. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

That dude probably had the best arm of any catcher I'd ever seen in his prime! :up:

jetssuck and Alex44 like this.
  8. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Sometimes, I wonder if we would even be having this discussion if Ted Ginn was on a different team. Because quite frankly, I think that had he been drafted by a team that can actually go deep we'd be talking him up as one of the better receivers in the game.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    In my opinion, if he ever plays with a QB who can push the ball down the field he will be dangerous. I actually believe this time has made him become a much better all around threat. We just can't see one aspect of his game. When he can get the ball down field it will open up his underneath routes even more.

Anonymous and Silverphin like this.
  10. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    In fact, not taking a hit seems to be his number one priority

lol..well yeah but I mean as far how do you use him? Keep sending him streaking down the sideline for Penny to ignore or use him like we did vs the Colts?

11. Lt Dan

Lt Dan Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Eglin AFB, Fl
    who in their right mind WOULD rather take a hit...that's completely stupid

12. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Again why risk an injury?

Well maybe CP should hit Ginn in stride instead of throwing up a jump ball to a 5'11 175 pound WR?

13. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Why play in a contact sport?

Now you're just gettin carried away...lol

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The history of the draft says, no, you shouldn't expect a pro bowl WR there. That expectation is unreasonable. Those who follow the draft know that there are only about 5 or 6 elite prospects in any draft. If you're picking after that, there is a clear drop in talent and therefore there should be a drop in expectations. So if you look at WRs drafted after the top 6 picks but in the first round over the last 10 years you get the following list.

1 7 Ike Hilliard Giants
    1 15 Yatil Green Dolphins
    1 16 Reidel Anthony Buccaneers
    1 27 Rae Carruth Panthers

1 16 Kevin Dyson Oilers
    1 21 Randy Moss Vikings
    1 30 Marcus Nash Broncos

1 8 David Boston Cardinals
    1 13 Troy Edwards Steelers

1 8 Plaxico Burress Steelers
    1 10 Travis Taylor Ravens
    1 21 Sylvester Morris Chiefs
    1 29 R. Jay Soward Jaguars

1 8 David Terrell Bears
    1 9 Koren Robinson Seahawks
    1 15 Rod Gardner Redskins
    1 16 Santana Moss Jets
    1 25 Freddie Mitchell Eagles
    1 30 Reggie Wayne Colts

1 13 Donte Stallworth Saints
    1 19 Ashley Lelie Broncos
    1 20 Javon Walker Packers

1 17 Bryant Johnson Cardinals

1 7 Roy Williams Lions
    1 9 Reggie Williams Jaguars
    1 13 Lee Evans Bills
    1 15 Michael Clayton Buccaneers
    1 29 Michael Jenkins Falcons
    1 31 Rashaun Woods 49ers

1 7 Troy Williamson Vikings
    1 10 Mike Williams Lions
    1 21 Matt Jones Jaguars
    1 22 Mark Clayton Ravens
    1 27 Roddy White Falcons

1 25 Santonio Holmes Steelers

1 9 Ted Ginn Jr. Dolphins
    1 23 Dwayne Bowe Chiefs
    1 27 Robert Meachem Saints
    1 30 Craig Davis Chargers

Of those 37, I count 7 that have made pro bowls. That's basically 19%. I may have missed somebody that got in as an alternate or on STs, like Ginn did, but that number is pretty close. No matter what it's not most or even half.

Further, I would guess that if you actually break down the yards these guys produced in their first two years you find that Ginn's production would easily be in the top half.

So, no, it's not reasonable to expect a pro bowl WR at #9. A reasonable expectation would be that Ginn would be in the top half of similarly drafted players and he has been.

jetssuck likes this.
  15. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Drafting Ginn wasn't so much the problem as was drafting a WR in that spot......or in this case, Camoron drafting a KR in that spot.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Man I wanted Lee Evans so bad in 2004. Him paired with Chambers...

CHAMPION-SHIP!

(that was the mindset at the time mind you)

17. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

So we should just resign to the fact that Ted Ginn, Jr will never be as good as those WR's you highlighted that were chosen in the 1st round? We should not expect and demand more from him? That's a loser's mentality, imo. Being an all-time Miami Dolphins fan, with our traditions and legacy, I think we should hold our players to a higher standard.

We are the only "Perfect" team remember. :up:

18. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    As a fan I don't think anyone should demand anything in regards to a players performance. That's like being a kid and demanding your parents' get you a toy or else you'll throw a tantrum; it's silly. Hoping/wishing they play at a higher level is fine. Expecting every player we draft to be elite is unrealistic though. Jake Long you could expect him to be elite, he was #1. #9 is not a spot that screams elite prospect though.

And who's to say he will never be as good as the WRs that were bolded (he is already better than many listed)? It is certainly possible for his career to be around the same ball park statistically (or better) than any of those WRs not named Moss. Hell, if he puts up seasons like Lee Evans has in his career, or Roddy White, yet never makes another pro bowl I will be happy with him.

And our team may have gone undefeated at one point in time, but no team is/was perfect IMO.

19. CashInFist

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

17-0 and a Super Bowl Championship is perfect in my book...

20. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Why try to get an extra yard when your going to get hit anyways?

:lol: how so? Ginn is the only Receiver on this team with any real speed to strike fear in defenses. WE wont be able to repeat as Division champions if we just dink and dunk our way to 3 points.

21. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's fine, that's why I said IMO.

I would probably say that season overall was perfect, considering the results, but that team was not perfect (which you said we were the only "perfect" team). No way IMO.

22. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    You can hope for whatever you want but when a player out performs most of the others drafted in a similar range its unreasonable to say you're disappointed in his production based upon where he was drafted.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  23. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    Really? I hear it all the time. Chris Mortenson tweeted on Monday night: The 9th pick in the draft has to make that catch. It's all over these forums. People are bringing it up often. Perhaps you choose not to see it.

24. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I've been clearing up after your mess throughout this thread. Let me know when you actually have a point.

25. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

There were lots of people who were pro Ted Ginn pre the draft. Mainly those who actually understand the game.

26. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Yet again you seem to ignore the fact that the throws being made to him are those of a possession offense. 95% of his career catches in Miami have been possession catches. When the rare opportunity comes down the field to make plays, he makes plays.

It's interesting to see that all those people knocking Ginn for the two catches he didn't come down with, fail to mention that on the first he's victim of aa blatant and yet uncalled illegal contact that knocks him out of the timing of his route. Would he have caught the ball untouched? I can't answer that. But what should have happened is that Terry McCauley should have called for pass interference and Ginn would have gotten us a first and goal at around the 5.

jdang307, GridIronKing34 and gafinfan like this.
  27. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007

Well done Alex. You spotted the deliberate mistake.

;)

Alex44 likes this.
  28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Dude, the whole point of the argument is that the offensive system doesn't put him in position to be a playmker. When it does, then generally he comes through.

29. CD13

CD13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Vestal, NY
    I think Ginn is expected to be a #1, but with Penny at QB and the offense currently based on him, it is really hard to judge Ginn. In fact, I think he gets some unfair criticism. He catches most balls thrown to him. Yeah he could have come down with that ball at the end, but it wasn't a gimme, and if Andre Johnson dropped that pass everyone would be saying "wow great play be cb", but since it is Ginn, he is under the gun. Unfair.

Get a QB that can throw down the field, and I think you see more of Ginn...a WR in the second tier of NFL behind the big 6 or so.

30. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Never hurt Marvin Harrison, who, last time I looked, is a first ballot Hall of Famer.

jdang307 likes this.
  31. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    yep, that's what I would have said too...:shifty:

32. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

As a few others have pointed out Ted Ginn is NOT on a team that has a QB throwing 50 times for 350 yards every game or even one game, for that matter. As I've pointed out in those threads saying Ted was expected to top 1000 yards and 10 or whatever TD's this seasion if he was to prove he wasn't a bust. Sorry, it ain't gonna happen on our team!

IF, IMHO, Ted gets any grief from me for any of his plays last Monday it was when he slowed to make sure he didn't catch and be out of bounds.He was thinking to much imo and by doing so gave up on the ball. Would he have caught it and remained in bounds, we will never know but I would hope he learned that it would be better to catch it first while then trying to stay in bounds.:up:

I think Teddy's a winner!:up:

cnc66 likes this.
  33. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    It's actually kind of funny.

Before the draft I was dead set against Ginn, but CK kept saying "NO NO NO he is a very talented receiver". So I went on my own and started watching him. By the time the draft came around I was cheering when we selected him.

He has the goods, now he needs someone to deliver him the ball.

34. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I am curious as to what Ginn would do with a Drew Brees, Payton or Eli Manning, Rivers or a few others who can aire it out? Maybe when Sparono and company figure out Ginn is not a #1 wide receiver and he cost us the Colts game we will find out. :wink2:

35. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    And there in will lie a huge contributing factor to maybe an 8-8 season.

To bad he has failed across the board. He has done nothing. Big deal he helped convert 6 - 3rd downs. Fact is when 14 points were on the line he choked. It's not the first time and won't be the last. Ginn has had 1 standout game in his career, against Buffalo. 2 years and he's traded. He may even go at the end of this year.

We tried in the kickoff and punt area to. Not much to talk about.

I know there are a lot of guys who like the guy....so sorry to be so blunt and truthful.

36. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Yes thank you for giving us the blunt and unbiased truth.

GridIronKing34 and Stitches like this.
  37. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Could you please elaborate.

38. bbqpitlover

bbqpitlover Well-Known Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Maine
    You were in a class by itself if I remember right when Cameron announced this pick there were many boo's in the crowd and the moron said lets turn those thumbs down to thumbs up. Another laugh I get is all the pro Ginn fans on this site like blaming Pennington for his lack of production, but Ginn had other qbs that he played with and I don't recall him getting open and having productive days. Maybe the coaching is the problem here I mean since it's not Ginns fault for not playing like a number one receiver, its because Miami has a qb who can't get it to this guy who is so wide open. Shame on the coaching for not knowing what people know in here.

Let me get this straight people who have followed the Dolphins for 30 plus years and question if Ginn is a bust don't understand the game ? Maybe not all of us know as much as Cameron does I mean after all the dolphins did win one game under his great understanding of the game.

39. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    It's your opinion, not a fact... just like my opinion is that he will wind up being a great #2 receiver or solid #1 receiver, but not elite... but you don't see me praising my opinion as a fact.

Stitches likes this.
  40. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    are you trying to argue penny can throw it long? is that your argument? and fyi ginn gets open hence the 100+ game he had on monday.