1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ted Ginn: Statistics on Him Being Open

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Rhody Phins Fan, Sep 15, 2009.

1. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    There is a constant talk of whether or not Ginn gets open and how this affects his overall numbers so I rewatched the game and kept track of each pass play and whether or not Pennington looked Ginn's way and what happened when he did.

Here are the results (some pass plays were called back due to penalty but I counted them if they were played out)

Ted Ginn was on the field for 32 plays. Of those 32 plays, Pennington:

Never looked to Ginn's side: 18 times
    Passed to Ginn: 3 times (caught 2)
    Tried to pass to Ginn but pass rush prevented him: 4 times
    Looked at Ginn but didn't pass to him: 4 times
    Looked to Ginn's side but went with first read short pass: 3 times

So when Chad did look Ginn's way he threw to him or tried to throw to him 7 times out of 14.

I did my best to be as accurate as possible. I'm sure I missed a couple looks and what not but overall I think it's pretty accurate. On the plays that I deemed that Chad was trying to throw to Ginn it was very obvious that he was as he. On one he threw it away behind Ginn because he was about to get hit and on the other three he pumped towards him but had to pull it down and scramble. On those plays it is very clear that he is looking towards Ginn.

So basically Ginn was a viable option on 50% of the passes where his side of the field was where the first reads were. I don't know if that's good or not but he was clearly a target for Penny more than just the two catches he had.

2. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    yeah but i believe pennington looks at ginn and thinks "he just ran out of my safe zone." Then he makes a safe throw.

3. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    It would be nice to see more plays called for Ginn like they did in the Bills game. I understand the coaches want to spread the ball around but they never show a true commitment to getting any of our best offensive players the ball.

gafinfan likes this.
  4. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    would be interesting to see tom brady to moss numbers or other qb/#1 receiver #'s

5. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    Not sure but I do know that Moss and Welker were each thrown to 16 times each. That is 60% of the team's passes going to those two players.

phinnhedd likes this.