1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tedd Ginn compared with other #9 picks

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ncfinfan69, Jan 3, 2008.

1. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I posted this elsewhere but wanted to get input from other finfans.Fire away: This talk of ted Ginn being a bust is asinine.Compare him with the #9 picks from the last 10 years. 1997 Tom Knight CB played 8 years,nothing special,out of the league now 1998 Fred Taylor RB no comment needed 1999 Chris Claiborne LB drafted by Cleveland,bounced around the league,currently a backup for Jags 2000 Brian Urlacher no comment needed 2001 Koren Robinson currently must be considered a bust 2002 John Henderson DT starting for Jags,a pretty good player 2003 Kevin Williams DE drafted by Vikings,had a great 03-04,pretty pedestrian since 2004 Reggie Williams WR,OK but nothing special,borderline bust considering draft position 2005 Carlos Rogers CB Redskins,starting but nothing special 2006 Ernie Sims LB,looks to be a pretty good pick The 9th pick is like all the others including #1, a crapshoot.All in all Ginn has contributed more to his team than anyone on this list in his 1st year with the exception of Urlacher,Sims,and Taylor.Not Rookie of the year stuff but way too early to be labeled a bust.

2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I honestly dont have an issue with Ginn as much as I do with us NOT taking Pat Willis or OKoye...

Ginn is gonna be a nice player, I just think we missed on the other two guys

3. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    apples and oranges

Fair enough.We need playmakers on both sides of the ball obviously and last year we went offense.I suspect this year given Parcells history we'll go defense.

4. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    True with that.

Actually, I suspect we will go defense on 3 of our first 4, unless some incredible offensive players fall to us...but nope that aint gonna happen.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    One thing that can be said about Ted Ginn jr that cannot be said about the players listed:

Ted Ginn: Pro Bowler*

I'm not 100% certain about Urlacher, but the rest of the players never made the pro bowl as a rookie.....

Kudos to Ted Ginn jr :hi5:

* he made it as an alternate Kick Returner...I think that is our first rookie Wr to make it as well....:thumbup:

6. Betters75

Betters75 New Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Ginn is allright, could be a pro-bowler some day. Willis is a beast and could have been a great fit. BUT, we passed on a franchise QB! Thats why Cam and Muellar got waxed!!!!

7. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    that aint gonna happen

Neither is my wishlist likely to happen. I'd love to trade out of the #1 pick cuz there isn't anyone at our need positions that's worthy of the pick. But you have to have hope and maybe Parcells and Ireland can swing a deal with someone.JJ and Huizinga's friendship may bear some fruit if his supposed mancrush on McFadden is as true as is being rumored.

8. sweeper

sweeper New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    he isnt a PB from what i recall buddy, he was 3rd on the list for kick returns.

9. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't know how you can compare a #9 pick with previous drafts when every year the draft grades per position are different.

The only fair evaluation you can give Ginn is the draft in the year he was drafted. Everything else, the past or who the #9 pick will be this season gives no balance to grade how early or late Ginn was drafted and whether it was the right pick or not.

By the way, there are some pretty good players on that 9th pick that you listed. lol

10. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007

Sorry man. NO WAY Dallas is trading up for McFadden. Why would they?:confused2:

11. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Agreed. The depth at WR is incredible in this year's draft. It is a position that we need to fill with a playmaker, preferably a tall and physically adept WR that can make an impact, especially in the red zone. With that being said, I believe one of our top4, if not top 3 picks will be at WR. More than likely with SD's pick.

12. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    A Franchise QB? Who?

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Coaches and Players voted him in as an alternate mi amigo, ahead of the Jet's Washington even...nice...

14. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    NEVER gonna happen. We have way to many other GAPING holes to be going after a WR with a high pick. IF we pick up a WR in FA I wouldnt be surprised (Bryant Johnson from here in Arizona would be a great pickup) but I wouldnt put my hopes on Parnsips going after a WR earlier than round 4...and probably not even then

15. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That's why it's a wishlist

I didn't say it was likely just that I was wishing and hoping.

16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Ginn was not our problem....and taking into account the two flags that called-back return TDs he did as advertised as a returner, and more importantly he produced as a WR and made defenses change how they defended us.

Zero issues with him, and its pointless to discuss who we passed on in some folks eyes since you cant state how they would have actually changed the season or production (offense or defense)

17. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    Thats cool...

The ONLY way I see any teams trade up would be to grab either Dorsey or Long (Chris not Jake) and that would only be a couple of spots....which would probably only net us a third rounder...

Trading out the the Number 1 spot is almost impossible, especially without any top-QB's in the draft, which is definately the case this year..

18. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Well, if we address WR in free agency I would have to agree. If not, what are the chances that Parcells/Ireland go BPA? I mean, if the best player on the board is a WR, why wouldn't we take him in late 2 or early 3?

19. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ted Ginn:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3163328

20. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Earlier this season I thought there was a real possibility of getting a team w/o a good QB to trade up but now I'm not so sure.Some teams that might have been looking have uncovered some gems.Shaun Hill in SF(assuming A. Smith was on the outs),Matt Moore in Carolina, Troy Smith for the Ravens,and now Atlanta might be content with Chris Redmon too.In fact if the Chiefs are willing to gamble on Croyle and the Jets are happy with Clemens there isn't a team in dire need of a QB until the Bears at #14! That would be a real shocker although some team would probably take Ryan/Brohm higher than that even if they didn't need them.

21. Waldop

Waldop New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    Miramar, FL
    I think Ted Ginn is a good player, I just don't think he's worthy of #9 pick. They could've gotten Ginn in a later round, and still picked up another, more needed player!!

22. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I wasn't trying to make any point with that other than it's too early to label Ginn a bust and that the draft is a crapshoot even for the professionals who get paid to make these decisions.

23. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    complete rubbish, this is nothing more than hateful thinking

24. Dolphins77

Dolphins77 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I think the idea was that our defense was in a good position at the draft, coming off last year, no one had any idea that Dom would somehow blow up the defense this season, hence the reach for a playmaker on offense.

I personally like Ginn, he is a better receiver than Hagan, and a legitimate kick/punt return threat. A few returns for touchdowns and teams have punted away from him to keep him from returning. It's too early to tell just how successful he could be, but he could be at least Santana Moss level, with less drops imho.

25. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    I absolutely love watching Ginn make receptions. He cathes the ball so smoothly that I bet you wouldn't even hear a sound from a Favre pass. His sure hands and speed will make him a viable #9. He just has to learn to beat bumps and run cleaner routes.

There was mention in another thread that Ginn felt banged up against NE, and that he was aiming to put on roughly 10 lbs. What impact to you think that will have on his speed, if any?

26. Dolphins77

Dolphins77 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I think adding weight would be a great thing, the trainers will likely focus on lower body development which could actually make him faster, break tackles easier, less prone to knee injuries. If the trainers know what they're doing. Look at world class sprinters /100 meters, they have legs like tree trunks. Like Santana Moss, his legs are huge because he was a track guy converted wide receiver. The sooner the better imho.

27. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Excellent point, thanks. I know Ginn's top end speed is unmatched, but he could improve on his initial burst. I'm sure this would help.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  28. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    well Ginn was a world class sprinter, and hurdler and he doesn't have huge legs... he still has room to beef up some without losing speed, but i dont want him to add too much... if he was at like 185, i think that would be perfect, thats only about 5-10lbs added and would put him in the marvin harrison, torry holt, size group...

29. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    With the development of Beck will come the development of Ginns stats......Ginn should score at least 4-5 Td's next season with at least 500-600 yards recieving. I dont think thats to unrealistic.

30. Dolphins77

Dolphins77 New Member

Dec 11, 2007
    I'm not saying you have to have huge legs to be world class, I'm just saying weight gain will not necessarily slow you down. If the weight gain is in the right place, i.e. lower body

31. phinfan0715

phinfan0715 New Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I didn't like the pick then, and I don't like it NOW. That is probably why Randy got the boot.

32. ncfinfan69

ncfinfan69 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    That was thoughtful.

33. sabanhater

sabanhater New Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Philadelphia
    "Ted Ginn is a Miami Dolphin..... too bad I am not anymore."

- Cam Cameron

34. twags500

twags500 New Member

Dec 5, 2007
    So you're saying they could've gotten him with the 40th pick? Cause that's just silly, he was clearly the #2 reciever in the draft but he would've hung around after Bowe, Davis, and gonzalez?

35. Dmarino110

Dmarino110 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    wE traded away the best possession receiver in the league. We traded away another good #2 receiver 1/2 way through the season and he ended up as our #1 receiving leader. We did this for a kick returner. We did this for a position WE DIDNT NEED. Cam went out and got rid of people and picked up a speed daemon with "Raw Talent' instead of a need.

You may not take a need at #1 over all but at #9 you do.

Thankfully I think the tuna can get us turned around.

36. burger13

burger13 New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    South Jersey
    sorry but you don't take a need at #9 either. you're 6-10 and heading down hill.....you take the best player (unless it is an obvious conflict with what you already have, ex - don't take a QB if you already have P.Manning in his prime).

I'm not saying that Ginn WAS the best player, but if that's who that's who they thought was the best player, then that should have been the pick.

What NEED could we have filled that would have made us a playoff team, cause otherwise, filling a need for this year, and in doing so passing on the higher graded player, was a mistake if it doesn't result in at least a playoff appearance that year....because needs change year to year.

37. Hugo Guzman

Hugo Guzman New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    1) Ginn will likely never be a big-legged tackle breaking wideout. He's more in the mold of Marvin Harrison or Tory Holt; guys that make plays vertically and avoid contact for the most part. Which is just fine with me, since both of those guys have had long careers and are heading for the Hall of Fame.

2) We did not pass on a franchise QB, at least not by draft standards. Guys that are selected 20+ do not get that designation, and that's what Quinn was.

3) For a decade, the fan base has complained about Miami's reluctance to take speedy offensive playmakers in the first round. They finally do it, and now that's a terrible move.

38. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    here we go again........

Adam Schefter of NFL Total Access reported that the Houston Texans were ready to take him at the ten spot if we were to pass up on Ginn.

39. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007

Shhhhhh. What does Shefter know anyway. :thumbup:

40. Etuoo33

Etuoo33 New Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Melrose FL
    Quinn can't even get off the bench, and when he does, he will have the same problems he had at ND. There's a reason he fell to #22. Ginn on the other hand while it took Chambers getting traded to get playin time, has done quite nicely for a rookie. That kind of speed does not come around all the time and may be productive for a long time, look at Glenn and Galoway.