1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ten Years of Second Round Garbage - UPDATED!

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Aug 31, 2014.

1. 77FinFan

77FinFan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 10, 2013
    Buckeye Land
    That's a good reminder.

2. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    You know the funny thing about Smith was that interception he had in the endzone against the Saints in preseason his rookie year. One handed grab extended outward. After that I thought he was going to be an interception machine. He must have had some stickum on his gloves that game cause after that he clearly had stone hands.

He must have been the worst receiver ever!

3. Itsdahumidity

Itsdahumidity X gonna take it from ya

Dec 10, 2007
    [​IMG]

not sure.........

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    He's had quite a few perfectly times pass break ups without making any contact. Absolute textbook plays.

The problem is that as fans we tend to remember what guys to do poorly over what they have done well, because a 15 yard pass is a first down but a break up simply gives the offense their next down.

5. Itsdahumidity

Dec 10, 2007
    idk, guess we view the term "great" differently. Why did Hickey bring in another corner? Can't be solely for his special teams play.

6. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Because you need 5-6 corners usually and Jimmy Wilson will be playing safety as will Aikens.

Also great at times means...at times. If you make two great plays in a game you were great at times.

7. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I see what you did there.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 4

8. Itsdahumidity

Dec 10, 2007
    agree to disagree. Greatness is all about consistency. Anyway, if taylor's '14 season is similar to last year imo he's gone.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    What was his year like last season. I honestly couldn't tell you since he was injured the entire time. He didn't play poorly, he flat out didn't play.

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    he just plays with to much cushion at times, he's got to overcome it..

11. Itsdahumidity

Dec 10, 2007
    really? you want to go that route? Last season, his first season was a huge disappointment. Why b/c in your words: "he flat out didn't play." And if we're to go off of your own words when did you get the chance to see him at times look great?
    Uh a little fyi, pass break ups is in a defensive back's job description. It's not something extra he brings to the table so your previous post boasting taylor had "a few perfectly times pass break ups without making any contact" is irrelevant.

12. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Nobody signed Daniel Thomas after we cut him.

13. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    You have to include the trades we made with 2nd rounders too. AJ Feeley anyone? Daunte Culpepper.

Brandon Marshall was okay.

14. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Right so we shouldn't praise players for doing things correctly based on what you said. Also I didn't say he looked great last season, I said this preseason or at the very least implied.

It isnt my fault if you don't see proper technique as being worthy of praise. Would it be better if he looked worse? Also no...I cant be disappointed in a player for being injured. So Im not disappointed in his year no.

15. MiamiDolphin618

MiamiDolphin618 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 17, 2014
    This doesn't make any sense to me at all. Thats like saying we shouldn't applaud Cam Wake for getting sacks…or Tannehill for throwing touchdowns because thats their "job description".

16. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

While I don't agree with the other poseter that passes defensed well are "irrelevant" it is true that some plays are bigger than others and thusly more worthy of a bigger celebration by fans and players.

For example, a sack is a bigger play than a tackle. If players did a big celebratory dance after a simple tackle, we'd be like "Whatever dude, it's just your job to make that tackle."

Tannehill, similarly, doesn't get me leaping out of my seat and high-fiving people exuberantly if he throws a completion to the tight end for 5 yards on 2nd and 10. That's not a 'big deal' play. The touchdowns are.

For a DB, an Interception is worth some chest thumping. A pass break-up is not, imo... unless it was acrobatic as hell... or you covered a guy who wasn't even your man!

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Totally disagree. Especially in today's NFL.

18. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I don't know, I jumped and cheered pretty loudly when Michael Thomas knocked that ball away from Amendola in the end zone last season.

19. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Right, because the play came at a huge moment in the game.

By the same right if there were a false start by the opposing offense and it caused a clock wind-down that made us win the game you'd cheer too!

Doesn't mean we should categorize false-starts as big plays.

ANYTHING mundane can come up at a big moment in a game. But we're talking about what plays are generally worthy of being treated like they're kinda a big deal. At least that's where I entered the convo. No clue how the conversation GOT there so maybe I have it wrong and we're debating something different.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  20. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    [​IMG]

21. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I would love to know how you put Moore, Martin and Beck behind Daniel Thomas. DT had some good moments for us. Those other three did literally nothing.

22. yayopower

yayopower New Member

Aug 30, 2014
    Yeah not only that, but the Dolphins had two second round picks every year between 2007 and 2009. And you know what, I think that was when our incompetent GM and scouts set the franchise a few years back, because not only they had two second round picks three years in a row, but they had a LOT more picks than that, they had like 30 picks in those three years combined and they barely managed to get three good players and out of those three, I think only Jake Long was really as good as he was supposed to be, all others are borderline backups or decent starters at most and that include the first and second round picks as well.