1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Terra Nova

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by maynard, Sep 28, 2011.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    anyone see it? im not really sure what to think about it. environmental dystopias annoy me. they got around the time travel paradox by calling it a different "time stream."

the dinosaurs are ok i guess. the effects arent that great. seems like the dinosaurs are just going to be used as a plot device more than anything else

i was expecting a little bit more from the opener

2. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I'm interested to see where they are going with the Stephen Lang's kid story line. And for a TV show, I thought the effects were pretty damn good.

3. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    ^^ That.

When they panned across the city in the future, I thought that was amazing effects for a TV show.

4. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    I was actually pretty friendly with Stephen Lang back in the last 90's. We used to work out at the same gym and he was a really nice guy. He even invited me to a party at his house (I should have went). Anyway, we used to talk about film and TV all the time. He always said that TV presented so many more challenges than film because of budget and the much smaller camera angles. I bet he has a little bit of a different view a decade later.

I hope the massive budget doesn't kill this show. It has a lot of potential and I really like Lang as an actor.

5. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I loved it. I like seeing what people's interpretations of the world might be like so far in the future. Thought the effects were good (Not as good as Jurassic Park obviously)...but are those actual Dinosaurs, or did they make up their own? Will we see T-Rex & Triceratops, or do they want it different from Jurassic Park?

6. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    The "carnotaurus" is a made up dino, actually stolen from the Disney movie "Dinosaur". And the "slashers" are also made up. Looks like they're gunna probably do that with some, while keep others like the brachiosaur legit.

*EDIT*

I stand corrected. It would seem that the carnotaur actually was a real dino. Who knew?

7. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    the slashers looked like chickens. i just found the actions scenes really not believable. i can usually suspend disbelief without much of a problem, but it seemed a little crazy to me that those kids would not have been all eaten before the convoy came. the fact that the one girl survived is crazy.

i thought those pulse weapons they shot at the really big dinosaurs from the base were pretty cool

i just hope there is some real substance behind the mysteries being drawn in the story. i have been strung along with series too many times

ill tell you one thing though: you couldnt pay me any amount of money to go outside that fence lol

texanphinatic likes this.
  8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    ...after careful consideration, I've decided not to endorse this show.

9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yeah them picking up the one kid after she ran off was irritating, no way that happens. I can buy a last second rescue of the other kids, but not Ms. "Should no longer be part of the gene pool." The chicken thing doesnt bother me to much - many paleos are of the opinion that dinosaurs were a lot more birdlike than we thought, so it make's some sense, though their lack of killer instinct was silly.

I felt the scenes before getting to Terra Nova were godawful. Why the hell would you have a third kid if it is illegal? It is to easy not to, and what benefit is there? The explanation was "we thought it was a good idea at the time" - are you kidding?
    The police shakedown was horrifyingly bad - they are flipping over tray tables and stuff that could barely hide a cat, but ignore the giant air vent without screws in it? That is hiding place #1 anyone with a brain would have looked.
    And the "maximum" security prison? What a freaking joke!

Fortunately it got better in Terra Nova itself. The rebellious teen story line is far more believeable than a lot of other family side plots (24's). We then have the sixers and what they are about, Taylor and what he is up to, his son and the strange markings, lots of directions.

Hopefully they keep it tight and focused, and I will remain interested. Very easy to just try and let special effects carry this kind of TV, and if they slack off on the writing/acting it will be dead quickly.

maynard likes this.
  10. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Unless they improve the scripts this high budget series is not going to last very long .I am going to give it a few more episodes to decide if I will continue to watch .

texanphinatic likes this.
  11. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    While I do agree in part, shows often start off slowly. If it isn't humming along after 4-5-6 episodes, this will be the one and only season.

They just need to be more careful about stupid **** that make people say "wait, wtf that wouldn't happen!" Like ... oh the wife slipping a high powered laser to her husband in a maximum security prison, or that a vicious and deadly predator cannot finish off a panicking teenage girl. It was pretty decent aside from that kind of stuff.

12. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    This epidode is a direct ripoff of Alfred Hitchcock thiller The Birds right up to the buildup of the drama.How unoriginal.:no:

13. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    yeah. it feel like there is a hole in the story

14. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    It's called paying homage to something. I doubt highly they were trying to pass it off as original.

15. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    I'm going to continue to give it a try. It beats other stuff out there. They need to plug away at some of the other things going on now a little at a time to keep people's interest. Like who the leak is, the sixers ....

16. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    the show is going along ok, but for some reason i can't get past the idea that small band or single person on foot can possibly survive outside of those gates

17. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I thought the most recent episode might have been the best so far. We saw a pretty big development in the sixer story line there. And the possibility (or eventuality rather) that Taylor is not all he is cracked up to be. He seemed pretty worried about what the leader of the sixers might have told the cop/father. Then you have the mystery from the first episode about Taylor's son and what he was doing by the waterfall with all those drawings. It's got promise but they definitely need to keep developing the main story line rather than focusing too much on the individual episode stories.

18. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    You make excellent points. There needs to be a good main story line (the real purpose of Terra Nova, Taylor's role in it, etc.). If it becomes a series of fighting dinosaurs, I will get bored quickly. My least favorite episode was the one with the reptilian birds. Yawn. I like the last two a lot though. And I really like Stephen Lang as an actor. He plays the part perfectly.

Paul 13 likes this.
  19. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i agree. when it feels like just another serial drama, i get bored.

it really makes you wonder if the purpose of Terra Nova was not for a new start, what else could it be? if you can't return through the portal, what do you do? maybe my imagination is limited at the moment, but im not finding a lot places for a sinister plot yet

if we keep getting strung along, viewers will drop out.

Paul 13 likes this.
  20. pennphinfan

pennphinfan Stelin Canez Arcade Scorz

Dec 13, 2007
    Los Angeles
    once they start running out of ideas they'll 'discover' a way to go back. Some new portal or something.

Paul 13 and maynard like this.
  21. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    very true