1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Texas appeals ruling on polygamists' children

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by DevilFin13, May 23, 2008.

1. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24793293

State supreme court is asked to block lower court order to release them

DOLPHAN1 and Celtkin like this.
  2. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    While I disagree with what may be happening inside the compound, we can not allow the government to run amok with unlimited powers to seize property and persons without due cause.

In the immortal words of Cheech and Chong: "Bailiff!; Whack their pee-pee"

Ohiophinphan and DOLPHAN1 like this.
  3. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

This case, indeed the whole history of the gvernment regarding Mormon polygomy has come close to trampling on the non interference portion of the freedom of religion question. I think what is happening there is an abomination as a Christian, but as an American I want to see them convinced by force of persuasion and not by force of law.

DOLPHAN1 and Celtkin like this.
  4. DevilFin13

DevilFin13 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Its a tough issue. If it wasn't for kids being involved I would come down pretty easily on letting these people practice whatever they want. But I've seen what just a normal divorce can do to a kid. I'm not sure I want a kid to go through something with multiple adults involved.

5. Darkoak

Darkoak Gone for good.

Apr 4, 2008
    I will forgive the government on this considering what the implications of doing nothing could be.

6. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

indeed. it is a double edged sword. once there was an unfounded decision, then it should be up to the local authorities to put things back as best as they can. but also keep an eye on them for the children's sake.

7. Celtkin

Celtkin <B>Webmaster</b> Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    46.73° N, 117.00° W
    The problem is that we have the Exclusionary Rule that disallows any evidence discovered as a result of an illegal search or seizure.

We may collectively dislike excluding evidence that has been obtained illegally but it is the necessary 'evil' that protects the other 99.9% of us.

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Punish the guilty let the rest go free ASAP, the State of Texas has largely manufactured this episode, now they wish to drag it out for months and steal the property owned by the Church to pay for the situation that they have created.

Texas's problem is they are punishing the just and unjust exactly alike, and such tactics are anathema to our Constitution.

Celtkin likes this.