1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thank God the NFL combine is this weekend

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by mommabilly, Feb 18, 2013.

1. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Having no football is driving me insano nuts. Whats on now amounts to blah blah blahblah. When I turn on the NFL network and its shows its going to air the 10 best things about Tim Tebow ? Or the 10 best this or that or blah blah, I know they are dragging the bottom of the barrel for something. LOL

GMJohnson likes this.
  2. Joe Robbie

Joe Robbie The Patriarch

Dec 24, 2008
    Miami Gardens
    I personally would rather watch paint dry.

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Yeah I don't watch the combine but I'll check out the results.

4. oakelmpine

oakelmpine New Member

Oct 16, 2012
    It's the Underwear Olympics. I will only watch if there is nothing else on.

5. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Plenty of meats to Fap too....

SICK and Paul 13 like this.
  6. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Love it, will watch every second, these are our future players were talking about here, things they do at the combine can solidify many different things.good and bad, and were not in any position to make mistakes, more data the better, this is about football movements, position specific athleticism, genetics, fluidity, grace, confidence, and most importantly determine how much space can the player cover.

Paul 13, MrClean, Killer Bees and 4 others like this.
  7. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Wow, before DJ answered I was saying to myself, tough crowd to please. LOL. I too like to watch these guys especially the Oline. I love putting faces to names outside of what the talking heads have up. I will miss John Lott at the 225lift though. He is the strength coach for the Cardinals. He has been doing the 225 lift for years, loved watching him urge the players on to push up one more. I read someplace the teams were complaining because he screamed at the players. Thats BS all he wanted to do was help the kids throw one more rep up. If they did good he slapped them around and complimented them.

I guess they will now have a guy that says " Hey, if you wish, please attempt your best to push that bar with 225 lbs of weight on it up one more time. BUT, if you feel otherwise thats OK " LOL the entire planet is being watered down before our very eyes folks.

Alex44 likes this.
  8. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    All of which Vernon Gholston had. Don't put too much stock in it DJ.

9. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I'd like to say that it will be nice to unplug from the sports world for a month or two....... But my brain goes into dolphins over-drive once the bowl is over.

I'm sure the feeling's mutual.

Combine:
    I really miss the Al Davis jokes during the 40 times. Rich Eisen needs to move on to bench reps. He runs like a girl.

Also, I predict right now.... that Cordarrelle Patterson never lasts until #12.

10. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    That's 1 example......... perhaps the worst one possible.

A lot of players got where they are thanks in part to showing their rare blend of size/ability at the combine. There are no busts once you get down to the nitty gritty of the mid-late rounds.

11. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Yup, ok. There are numerous examples supporting both arguments. Everything changes when in a game, pads are on etc. Some players can't transfer their superior physical measurables to the game and end up inferior players to slower, weaker players.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  12. NolePhin15

NolePhin15 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2010
    Jupiter
    Yesterday was VERY depressing. I got home from the gym around 12:30 and had absolutely zero idea what to do.

13. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah I really watch it for what MB said, putting faces to all the names we've been hearing about and where they went to school. I like to know as much as I can about all the future players coming in. I don't really watch much tape so this introduces me to all the smaller name guys. It also makes draft day more interesting when it comes to the other teams around the league. I enjoy hearing Mayock and Charles Davis breakdown all of the players, respect those guys. Im excited.

14. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Translation: It's a chance for DJ to check out a lot of ***!

15. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I can't wait....

16. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Aren't most actual Olympic uniforms glorified underwear? This is a pretty dumb saying.

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

17. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Personally, having done the bench press for over 30 years, I never cared for a spotter that yells like he does. I mean it doesn't hurt anything but it does not help either. Not to me anyway. I would rather have dead silence where I can focus internally on what I'm doing with no distraction. His standing over me yelling would be nothing but a distraction though one I could deal with if I had to. My body tells me when I have done the last rep I'm capable of for that set. His screaming "one more" does not change anything.

I considered Lott's style as just entertainment for the TV audience.

18. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ugh, the combine is painfully boring.

19. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    The combine is where borderline players get elevated due to running in underwear.

Anyone remember Chad Jackson? Although I do recall Vernon Davis having an excellent combine, bumping him up a little.

I've always said to myself, if I were a scout, the combine would only solidify player rankings, or move them down. Never up. Their original rankings should be based on what is on the tape.

20. mommabilly

May 3, 2010
    Having never lifted weights in my life I myself. would enjoy my own private cheerleader. Was a stone mason my entire life since I got out of the Army. Lifted heavy crap all day and never had a need to lift more in my spare time. When you lift, butter and set 200 cinder blocks a day ( in my youth ) the last thing you want to see is something that weighs no more then a bottle of beer at the end of the day LOL.

MrClean likes this.
  21. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Personally I like a spotter that motivates you. I think it gets a few more reps outta' ya for sure, a lot of training is all mental. To each his own though.

22. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Not true tone, your never gonna every eval correct, Quickness to decipher scheme is not something that it can determine, but the game is about being right more often than wrong, Gholston was a fraud before the combine..the combine does show more than strength and speed...for me it's about really getting clear on what you have as a skillset, a foundation.

Tone_E likes this.
  23. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Lol..you got that right!!!..

Seriously, I believe there are things that can be projected off the condition, overall definition, and genetics of the body..

24. Clark Kent

Clark Kent Fighter of the Nightman

May 9, 2008
    Agreed 100%. I want my attention focused on form, proper breathing, and all technical aspects of the lift. Not on some moron yelling. If he has a critique, such as, "lock out" because the lifter isn't getting reps counted, fine. Makes sense. Otherwise, no...

And I wish the NFL combine would actually start making these athletes do weight lifting that demonstrates practical strength, like standing shoulder press, squats, and dead lifts. The bench press is not a bench mark of practical strength. Never saw a player on his back doing anything of note in any sport. One reason I put no emphasis on bench numbers at the combine.

MrClean likes this.
  25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I've heard it said, and have no reason to question it really, that the power clean is the one lift that best reflects on field functional football strength.

Clark Kent likes this.
  26. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    As a previous trainer, you assess each client, and act accordingly..if your barking out the same sh&$ to each one then you really aren't doing your job correctly, and you could be affecting some in a negative way.

MrClean likes this.
  27. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    By the way if your so bored at this time and your active a lot around the forums. Try out ThePhins GM League next year. I'm having a blast and it's a nice time filler.......even if your stuck GM'ing Buffalo.

28. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    People calling Vernon a combine bust really don't understand what they are talking about. Because if they didnt have a combine, he still would've been a top pick. The guy DOMINATED Jake Long in college and was one of the best DE's in college football.

So it wasn't his "combine" that pushed him into being a top pick, wich is what "combine warriors" are.

29. keithjackson

keithjackson Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I wish we could somehow watch the team interviews; that would be riveting.