1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The 2010/2011 MLB Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Ray Finkle, Nov 3, 2010.

1. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Agree with this mindset:

Garza would join Ryan Dempster, Tom Gorzelanny, Randy Wells, Carlos Zambrano andCarlos Silva in a crowded Chicago rotation. If the Rays-Cubs deal goes through, it wouldn't be surprising to see Cubs starters appear in trade rumors before long.

If any team can afford to part with a starting pitcher, it might be the Rays, who still have David Price, James Shields, Jeff Niemann, Wade Davis and Jeremy Hellickson. The return from the Cubs probably won't impact Tampa's Opening Day roster, but it will add depth to the Rays' already impressive farm system.

2. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [video=youtube;TuWoLBhnJ1g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuWoLBhnJ1g&feature=player_embedded#![/video]

3. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    According to MLB.com's Jason Beck, the Tigers have agreed to terms with Brad Penny on a one-year, $3 million contract.

Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com reports that the Yankees are stepping up their pursuit of free agent right-hander Justin Duchscherer. (Several other more interesting RUMORS are making their way regarding Yanks trading with CUBS and possibly HOU to acquire SP for farm system talent (most likely C position being shipped off). Some are saying CUBS acquired Garza with sole intent to set up trade with Yanks which would possible include Garza, or Zamrano, or another SP from the extra arm or two Cubs now have. Wandy Rodriquez is also being mentioned in a move). Time will tell which of these if any happen.

Padres signed SS Jason Bartlett to a two-year, $11 million contract extension with a vesting option for 2013.

Red Sox re-signed LHP Hideki Okajima to a one-year, $1.75 million contract.

And in perhaps the most important offseason news:
    Kris Benson told Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com that he has decided to retire. (We all will miss his wife)

4. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I wonder if the media who covers the Yankees will bring up Justin Duchscherer's 2009 season (or lack of season) like they did everytime Zack Grienke was brought up this offseason.

I can't see the Cubs flipping Garza to the Yankees unless they're getting back a big haul (just a guess but Joba, Montero, 2 of the 'B' pitchers, maybe even Gardner) since the Cubs gave up a lot for Garza in the first place. You normally don't see a package of prospects for prospects deal which that would esstentially be. If anything the Cubs would trade Tommy Gorzelanny, Carlos Silva or Randy Wells which all 3 would be a disaster in the AL East, or Zambrano if they simply want to dump salary and a headcase.

Wandy Rodriguez would be an interesting name. I think I mentioned him earlier in the offseason but again he'd cost a lot too in terms of prospects.

5. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Yeah, dont know if CUBS will flip Garza, but they have extra arms to ship.....fact is both HOU and CHC are in a position to get what they need only....and dont think they will price themselves out of market for C depth and others that Yanks have.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Well the problem is the Yankees might not match up well with either the Cubs or Astros, since the Yankees best 'position' prospects are catchers (although again there are a lot of questions about whether Montero and/or Romaine can actually catch at the MLB level) and the Cubs and Astros have Soto and Castro.

7. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The Twins agreed to a one-year deal with Jim Thome, the team announced. The SFX client gets a $3MM guarantee with incentives based on plate appearances, according to MLB.com's Kelly Thesier (on Twitter).

8. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    My god, if TB doesnt come out soon with a DH im going to go nuts.

Good news for TB though is Grant Balfour signed with Oakland. I think we have 23 first rounders now.

9. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    :lol:

The Royals have agreed to sign Jeff Francis to a one-year deal, the team announced. ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick first reported the deal and adds that it's for $2MM guaranteed plus $2MM in incentives (Twitter link).

10. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Between Manny, Damon and Vlad I'm sure TB will sign one of them especially since there aren't a lot of teams that need DHs now.

TB has I believe 11 of the first 89 picks in the draft next year (9 before the start of the 2nd round).

Nappy Roots likes this.
  11. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Vlad would be choice #1, followed by Manny and then Damon.

If we could pull out Vlad and Fuentes, then I then we have a chance to compete for playoff spot.

12. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    It is crazy regarding TB and upcoming picks, but a nice way to rebuild the offense or pen quickly.

Here’s a rough estimate of where they’ll be picking come June and how they got each pick:
    24 (Red Sox’s pick for Carl Crawford)
    31 (Yankees’ pick for Rafael Soriano)
    32 (Rays’ own pick)
    38 (Supplemental pick for Soriano)
    41 (Supplemental pick for Crawford)
    42 (Supplemental pick for Balfour)
    51 (Supplemental pick for Joaquin Benoit)
    55 (Supplemental pick for Randy Choate)
    58 (Supplemental pick for Brad Hawpe)
    59 (Supplemental pick for Chad Qualls)
    75 (A’s pick for Balfour)

Oh, and the Rays also have their own second-round pick, which is 88th overall, giving them 12 of the top 88 picks.

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Manny fits the team better as a high OBP guy. Vlad was pretty bad the 2nd half of the season and playing half his games in Texas certainly helped his numbers. Granted Manny showed almost zero power last year but he got on base which would help the rest of the TB line up.

Unless Fuentes is your LOOGY, you probably don't want any part of him due to performance vs. RHH and the money invovled. You're better off (especially money wise) using one of the stud minor league pitchers as the closer or going cheaper with a John Rauch type.

14. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    I agree. I was under the impression we may be able to get Fuentes cheap.

I would rather have Vlad because he is probably going to provide more power at this point. Which is something we are lacking at this point.

Id be very happy with either. Less happy about Damon.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Last I heard on Fuentes was he was looking for a 3 year 15 million dollar deal. I can't see TB spending 5 million on a closer, especially one with such big platoon splits. Their FO is smarter than that.

16. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    A's reach 2-year agreement with Brian Fuentes

Entering 2011, Oakland now boasts a rather fearsome bullpen to go with an already young and talented starting rotation. For a team that gave up the fewest runs in the American League last season, the A's greatest strength has become an even greater strength. And it will need to be if the team has any chance of displacing the Rangers atop the American League West. Fuentes is expected to serve in a setup role behind closer Andrew Bailey.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (via Twitter) reports that the deal is expected to be for two years with an option for a third at more than $5MM per season. Meanwhile, Jon Heyman of SI (via Twitter) reported that the two sides were working on a two-year deal worth roughly $10.5MM.

17. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    The TORONTO BLUE JAYS have signed RHP JON RAUCH to a one year deal worth US $3.5 million, with a club option of US $3.75 million for 2012.

Dodgers have reached an agreement on a contract with Marcus Thames.

MLB.com is reporting that the Cubs have agreed to trade SP Tom Gorzelanny to the Nationals in exchange for three minor-league prospects. Chicago will receive OF Michael Burgess, right-hander A.J. Morris and lefty Graham Hicks in the deal.

18. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    **** what is TB doing. Should have gave rauch 4 mil.

19. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Maybe they are punting 2011, and going hard on even numbered years? They will still have all those draft picks!

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    That's never been TB's style though. Do you really want to Rauch at 4 million to be the 2nd highest paid Ray next year? And be paying from 10% of the total budget (rough estimate from me here) to throw 70 innings or so when he's not a sure thing? At 2 million yeah sign him, but 4? No thanks, maybe Jake McGee or Adam Russell could be a better option anyway.

Nah I don't think the Rays are punting 2011, they're still going to have a good team because they have good replacements in place for Crawford and Garza in Jennings and Hellickson. Their front office just can't afford to spend big money on RPers who may or may not pitch well. The Red Sox and Yankees can bury a 4 million dollar mistake, while it would hurt the Rays big time. Plus we're talking about Jon Rauch here, I mean its Jon Rauch. Watch Tampa Bay go out and sign Manny Delcarmen in another week for less than 2 million and watch him save 35 games with an ERA under 3.

21. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Gil Meche has announced his retirement from the game of baseball.

A major surprise, given that his salary this season would have been a whopping $12 million. The 32-year-old Meche did not give an exact reason for his sudden retirement, but it might have something to do with his chronic shoulder problems.

22. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    One day after agreeing to terms with him on a $2.3MM contract for 2011, the Tigers have designated Armando Galarraga for assignment. The team announced the move on Twitter, while making its deal with Brad Penny official.

Galarraga's contract is non-guaranteed, though the Tigers would owe him termination pay if they were to release him.

23. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
  24. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Its not our style and we have been shaky at the end of the game every year except when JP Howell was healthy and on top of his game and when we paid our closer 8 million last year. I would of rather gave Rauch 4 million then spend 2 million on a reliever that isnt going to compete for the closers role. hes not great, but when you have the possibility of sending our kyle farnsworth in the 9th inning, which would be a disaster. i would agree 100% with you had i said we should sign Rauch for 2 years at 4 mill per, but just for one year, a gape to next season, we would have to over pay, which we would. 4 mill is nothing considering our payroll is at like 38 million right now...Our bullpen is just in shambles right now...we need help there.

25. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    have the mariners done anything since my last post? what is there some can't miss prospect in the next draft that they're aiming for? I mean seriously............

26. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Still that's more than 10% of your payroll right there for Rauch. That's not a good allocation of money. There's just too much uncertainly with RPers year to year so a team like the Rays giving multi-year deals to RPers is probably the last thing they should do. Yeah your pen on paper is in shambles but no one thought Benoit or Soriano would pitch as well as they did last year. Who's to say someone like Russell, McGhee, Howell or one of the kids in the minors can't pitch just as well for a quarter of the price?

27. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Way too early to tell about next year's draft, but the 2011 draft is absolutely loaded with talent. Not that it helps your question.

28. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL

i agree 100%, theres no way i would give a multi-year deal. and im not saying we cant have someone step up. but Howell isnt going to be back till end of may at the earliest. and at least our pen before had some of the same guys year in and out.

Its no cowencadence that in 2008 we had of the best pens in baseball...we won the division and went to the world series. 2009 we had one of the worst, we finished 19 games back. 2010 we had one of the best again and we win the division again. if a few guys dont step up to the plate, we will not compete.

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yet didn't you have mostly the same core guys in the pen in 2008 and 2009? And in 2008 Percival was the closer yet was only average, if my memory is right. Just goes to show how unpredictable RPers are.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  30. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Bill Ladson of MLB.com reports that Jerry Hairston Jr. has agreed to terms with the Nationals.

31. King Felix

King Felix Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    it seems like they aren't trying to get better. ackley better be good

32. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    What reasonable moves would you have liked to see Seattle make? They're just not a good team, putting a bandaid or two wouldn't help much. I'd probably be happy they didn't go out and spend big money on a random RPer or an average bat. They're going to have a nice core of Felix, Smoak and Ackley soon. That's definitely a good start.

33. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Tim Brown of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Rays are nearing a deal with free agent outfielder Johnny Damon.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Mike Napoli is being traded to the Blue Jays for Vernon Wells. Wow. How did the Jays ever get anyone to take Wells off their hands? He has about 86 million left on that deal. I'll be the first to question what the hell the Angels are doing. Not only failing to sign Crawford and Beltre but now taking on Wells, who's overrated and not really good anymore at the plate and in the OF. Just a strange strange move.

EDIT: Ken Rosenthal is saying Juan Rivera might be in the deal too but it doesn't matter who else is coming, it's a win for the Jays no matter what. Seriously what is LA doing? Do they even know?

Double EDIT: LA is only getting 5 million back. That GM should be fired yesterday. What a terrible trade.

35. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Rays also signed Manny Ramirez for 2 million. Shocked Manny signed for that low but it's definitely a great move by TB. The AL East is going to be fun.

Also Orioles are talking to Vlad Guerrero.

Nappy Roots likes this.
  36. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Agreed, seems quite desperate. Its easy to rip it.....but.......I think Ken Rosenthal of FOXsports sums it up for all of us:
    “Most teams try to get younger, cheaper and better. The Angels got older, more expensive and possibly worse.”

Rays have agreed to terms with both Johnny Damon and Manny Ramirez (oh joy in Tampa town)

and Vlad in BAL would be fun.

37. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    So, from Crawford in left, to Damon in left....quite a falloff in defense.

But Damon can still hit, so it's not too bad.

38. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    GO Rays!

Signed Damon and Manny combined for less then Derek Lee and Carlos Pena signed. great move by Friedman.

39. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Yankees just signed Bartolo Colon to a minor league deal. If he makes the team, the Yankees food bill (between him, Sabathia and Joba) for the year will be more than the Marlins' payroll.

40. BigDogsHunt

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Wonder how many Caterers are bidding on that contract...wow.

Hey, you turned us all on to Keith Law. Hear his annual CLUB rankings are out for farms, etc. I dont have ESPN access. Do you have the details?