1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Art Of Route Running

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by anlgp, Nov 6, 2008.

Tags:
  1. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

2. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Fantastic article.

This quote by Pennington,
    is the answer to so many people's questions about why he avoided Ted Ginn so much in the first part of the year. Last weekend there was another incompletion where Chad seemed upset at Ted, as if he had not done what Chad expected.

If you want to be thrown the ball by Chad Pennington, you better consistenyly prove to him that you will be where you are supposed to be, when you are supposed to be there.

Ginn is improving at this, but has a long ways to go. Greg Camarillo should be working with Ted daily to show him how to run correct routes.

"Quarterback Friendly" ios what Sparano has called Camarillo about a million times, because he does these subtle things. Initially, Ginn did not do things like jockey for position on throws (so as not to be undercut or out-jumped, as at the end of the Jets game).

Ted has, as I said, improved a bitm, but, honestly, I think Chad only truly feels safe throwing to Ted when he is VERY VERY wide open, like getting a ten yard cushion or blowng past people into wide open space. In tighter spaces, Pennington only trusts Camarillo, I think. In tight spaces, WR mistakes lead to interceptions and Pennington hates those.

I think that as Gnne, Bess and London continue to develop, all we need is to add one more receiver to this corps and we'll have a great stable of pass catchers.

I'd love to see what Armstrong could do next year, and either draft a 3rd round WR or sign Devery Henderson.

anlgp likes this.
  3. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Pennington also says that QBs more often than not aren't throwing towards a receiver but more towards spots; which is why he says that if he's nervous he's hesitant to put the ball in those areas.

Bpk likes this.
  4. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    dead on analysis

Bpk likes this.
  5. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Wow...by far one of the best articles I have seen on MD.C....

That one was great. Really makes you understand what our front office looks for in a reciever....they obviously read Davone Bess correctly. Sounds like London is still in development stage...but they must see something in his progress to think he is worth having around.

Also..again...how important is it to have a QB like Pennington to help teach these guys why route running is so important. Man...I dont even see Chad in a Jets uni anymore...hes 100% Dolphin....I want to see him retire here, and go on to be a Phins coach someday...maybe even an OC or Head Coach.

djphinfan, mullingan and Bpk like this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

If agreed with you any more than I do, I'd actually become you.

7. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    i think Chad Pennington is a hot commodity for now and the future for this franchise, i hope we keep him in house.

Bpk likes this.
  8. I dont see chad leaving us until he can no longer play. He has been made to feel very welcomed and appricated here. He is parcells boy and everyone knows it. He is a great QB and everyone respects him. Its not only his talent but its how he openly shares his knowledge of the postion with his team mates. He is almost like an extra coach on the field. He is kinda like our version of the military's warrant officers.

Bpk likes this.
  9. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Eh, I'm not quite sold on Devery Henderson as the cure to our WR ills. I thought the FO was on the right track in looking at nice big target WR's even though they picked the one I didn't want due to underachieving past histories. There's not much in FA or trade for now but there can be some nice projects in the draft.

10. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Henderson drops a lot of balls. I'm thinking Amani Toomer to come in.

11. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Amani Toomer would've been a nice pickup several years ago. Good size and speed but right now, I think he's getting there in age. Probably why they gave Burress that nice extension.

12. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True but he could be the veteran presence that the management may have been looking for from Terry Glenn.

13. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I dunno, he's about one clipboard away from being player/coach. Might bring veteran presence but maybe not so much production on the field. I'd like to have the latter more than the former.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    True.