1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bible is apparently too liberal.

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Frumundah Finnatic, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    http://news.aol.com/article/bible-too-liberal-conservatives-say-yes/706054

2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

What a joke! What gifts/skills do the new writers have in Hebrew and/or koine Greek?

If the text they are talking about is Jesus picking up the slave child and putting it on His lap, the original Greek, from Jesus mouth, is "it" not he or she. An astute preacher will then note the distinction being made regards class and power and will report the story accordingly.

It reminds me of a former state department official who approached me in DC years ago wanting to know how to get the King James Bible translated into Spanish because the Spanish Bible in the countries where he had been working was "too liberal". When I tried to explain that he needed to go back to the original languages he declared I was another communist like all those other Christians in South America and walked away!

Are there mistakes in the translations? Sure there are. Some is the fault of the the translators and some is the limitations of language. I am told, for example, that there is no distinction in Spanish for the Biblical words for justice and righteousness and thus liberation theology has a Latin American flavor. Is that liberalism or simply linguisitcs?

Finally, it was just annouced recently that the NIV translation is about to undergo a major upgrade. Every twenty years or so language changes enough to require such a revision. Maybe this one will meet with Schlafly's approval?

gafinfan and dolphindebby like this.
  3. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    That conservapedia article the site links to gave me a few laughs.

It makes them come off as incredibly paranoid if anything.

4. Miamian

Miamian Senior Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Jerusalem, Israel
    Sometimes those misinterpretations appear deliberate. In both Hebrew and English there are distinctions between the concepts of killing (הרג) and murder (רצח). The Ten Commandments state that "you shall not murder."