1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Big Red Mock 1.0

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Big Red, Jan 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Round 1 (12) - ILB Rolando McClain 6-4 256 Alabama (junior)
    With this one pick our defense would improve drastically. Much like Patrick Willis, Jerod Mayo, James Laurinaitis, Rey Maualuga, or our own Zach Thomas, Rolando McClain would have an immediate impact. As fans we often have to be patient and wait for players to develop. Wouldn't it be nice to see immediate results for once?

Round 2 (43) - WR Arrelious Benn 6-2 220 Illinois (junior)
    The reason we should not draft Dez Bryant in the 1st round is because there are so many great receivers coming out this year we should be able to nab one in the 2nd round. No less than eight junior wideouts have declared which pushes everybody back a few spots. If Benn is off the board then Brandon LaFell or Demaryius Thomas would be excellent options.

Round 3 (74) - NT Torrell Troup 6-2 310 UCF
    We could go a lot of different ways in the 3rd round but nose tackle is our most pressing need after ILB, WR, and FS and I have a plan for the safety position. With Dan Williams and Mount Cody off the board Troup is the best option. Like McClain he would also start immediately unless Ferguson signs for one more year which would be fine. Troup could spend a year learning from one of the best and there are no guarantees Ferguson will make it through the entire season even if he does re-up.

Round 4 (~108) - OG John Jerry 6-5 332 Ole Miss
    Peria Jerry's brother. He has been impressing people at the Senior Bowl and has the potential to beat out Smiley or Thomas for the starting gig. If Jerry is off the board Sergio Render would be an excellent pick.

Round 6 (~178 from Kansas City) - FS Myron Rolle 6-1 217 FSU
    This is my plan for the safety position. Nobody is going to confuse Rolle with Ed Reed but he is a hell of a lot better than Gibril Wilson. Definitely smart enough to start day one.

Round 6 (~179 from Washington) - ILB Josh Hull 6-3 240 Penn State
    Wouldn't be the most gifted athlete on the field but he has great instincts and he is a tackling machine.

Round 6 (~184) - RB Keith Toston 5-11 210 Oklahoma State
    Ran a little bit of the Wildcat at Oklahoma State. Rushed for 1218 yards and 11 touchdowns his senior year. Tough kid who can run inside the tackles.

Round 7 (~214 from Kansas City) - QB Joe Webb 6-3 223 UAB
    Actually rushed for more yards than Toston as well as Mark Ingram, Noel Devine, and Jonathan Dwyer. The problem with Webb is he doesn't really have a position in the NFL. Is he a QB or a wideout? As far as the Dolphins are concerned he could be a better Wildcat trigger man than Pat White. At the very least the selection of Webb would push White to get better.

Round 7 (~221) - C Kevin Matthews 6-4 310 Texas A&M
    Bruce Matthews' son. You got to love the pedigree.

There you have it. I really believe that is how the 1st, 2nd, and 4th should play out. If we somehow luck out and sign Vince Wilfork as a free agent the 3rd round would be wide open. Maybe an outside linebacker like A.J. Edds, Brandon Lang, or Jermaine Cunningham.

Skeet84, Striking, Zanno and 3 others like this.
  2. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I like the 1st two picks. The one glaring need that doesn't get filled there though is OLB. The Dolphins MUST draft at least one pass rusher and probably two. There are some good ones in this draft too.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  3. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Love the Joe Webb pick Big Red...come on...we know what you are thinking about Webb:

"The next Josh Cribbs"..

:D

I think we find a Lb to push Erik Walden, EW plays on all 3 ST units, but he hasn't shown improvement in any particular phase of the game, ST is sort of being a utility player in MLB, you are expected to push for playing time on the other units as well.

4. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Let's assume Joey Porter isn't a Dolphin next year. If we re-sign Jason Taylor we are all set at the weak side with him and Cameron Wake. All we need is a guy to play the strong side. It sounds like the triumvirate wants Philip Merling to drop a few pounds and take that spot. He could certainly set the edge. :yes:

5. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    :lol:

Hull would push Walden. :up:

padre31 likes this.
  6. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I can't imagine Rolle lasting that late given what he has done this week, especially if he tests out well. I'd be happy to have him on my team though, even if it meant a 4th round pick.

7. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Rolle is a top 64 pick.

8. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Top 90 IMO.

9. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Looks like we're going to have to ask Bob Barker in this Showcase Showdown!

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Top 64? Top 90? Yall serious? Baised on what? Cause it sure wasn't his play or year off....

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    #1 High School prospect in country?.....1st team Fresh All-American?....... 3rd team All-American as a Junior? Smarter than our entire defense combined. There's not doubt he can play...... but can he fit the bill we need as a ballhawking FS? I'm not sure he can unless he's gotten a LOT quicker.

BuckeyeKing likes this.
  12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I don't see this as a great WR draft. I see Dez Bryant as the only one that is worth a first round pick for sure. Then there's Golden Tate, who doesn't have elite WR size but is probably worth a later first (later than 12). Everybody else has major question marks. A couple may develop but the odds are just as good that they'll be as productive as Turner was this year.

13. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    #1 high school prospect means nothing. And he was perceived to be much better then he was on the field. He was average at best while at FSU. I'm talking about a 4th or 5th round prospect THEN. Much less now after taking a year off.. Book smarts doesn't also equate into football smarts. Its a special kind of smart to be able to read an offense and make your decision in a split second...Rolle is much much more book smart, but let's not forget how book smart Jason Allen. And he's a dumbass football player

14. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'd thought Rolle's problem was he ran a slowish 40 time in 09?

My view on him is as long as he is adaptable, meaning he can learn to play Special Teams, and he is not dead slow, as in high 4'6's, he should be able to play in the NFL, or at least have a really good shot at sticking in the NFL.

Big Red likes this.
  15. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    In theory that sounds good, but I'm not sure you can bank on Merling being a SOLB. He may very well be able to fill that role, but that would be a big gamble to assume he can. At the very least they'll need a backup on the strong side with some pass rush ability.

16. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there are some good ones that will go from the end of the 1st to the 2nd round. There are question marks, but that's the case for most players in the draft. I really want to get Dez, but if not I'd be happy with Tate, LaFell, Benn, Williams, Gilyard, Thomas, and maybe even Briscoe. I think you're looking at some nice upside with those guys.

Big Red likes this.
  17. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    No. Myron Rolle does not fit the bill as a ballhawking free safety. However he is an upgrade and we only have one 1st round pick. We cannot get an elite linebacker, a ballhawking free safety, a force at nose tackle, the next Terrell Owens, and the next Lawrence Taylor all in one draft.

The quickest and most effective way to upgrade our defense is to draft Rolando McClain.

So where does that leave us in the 2nd round? Eric Berry and Earl Thomas will be gone so forget about the ballhawking free safety. Dan Williams and Mount Cody will be gone so forget about the force at nose tackle. Dez Bryant and Golden Tate will be gone so forget about the next T.O. or Hines Ward. Derrick Morgan, Jerry Hughes, and Jason Pierre-Paul will all be gone so forget about the next Lawrence Taylor.

The most likely scenario is that a very good receiver will slide because there are so many of them and not every team needs a wideout.

18. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    I agree. Rolle is helping himself this week but he still has to make a play or two in the actual game. His stock might rise but he currently has a 7th round grade according the Sports Xchange. A slow forty at the Combine could drop him back down if he does rise and when teams look at his tape they will see a very solid safety. Not spectacular but solid.

I believe he could be there at the top of the 6th round. Obviously he could go earlier but once you get beyond the 2nd round projections become iffy at best.

19. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is true every year. :lol:

Wideout is by far the hardest position to evaluate. For all anybody knows Dezmon Briscoe could end up being the best pro receiver of the group. Who's to say?

20. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    True. I would not be unhappy if we drafted an outside linebacker but I believe we have bigger needs. If Merling cannot cut it then we have Charlie Anderson. Plus there is always a chance we pick up a free agent OLB to man the strong side.

21. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Considering he was going in round 1 last year. He has the talent to play.

22. Nappy Roots

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Round 1 last year?? Again...based on what. No chance in hell he would of sniffed round 1 last year.

23. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Yea, Rolle was like a 3rd rounder last year (IMO at least I don't recall him being graded by the pundits).

24. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I disagree that this is true every year. I see this as a very week WR class. I do agree that WR is a difficult position to evaluate and a late round pick could always emerge as the best WR but in good WR years there are 5 or 6 guys who are end up being first round picks. I don't think there's any chance of that happening this year. There just aren't that many good prospects.

25. Big Red

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dez Bryant, Golden Tate, Arrelious Benn, Brandon LaFell, and Damian Williams could all go in the 1st round. If they don't then you are right. However you have to wait until after the draft to find out.