1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Bonnie Blue

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Ducken, May 25, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    I have had a couple people ask what flag is that as my avatar, and Marty asked me to start a thread about her.

I just learned today a little more history about this flag, I knew it pre dated the Civil war, but did not know what it meant for those who flew it. It was first used by the Republic of South Florida after it declared independence from Mexico, for a very short period of time before that territory was annexed into the US.

It then was again flown as the first flag of the Republic of Texas but the color of the star was changed from white to yellow.

That is what I learned today and most of that info came from wikipedia.

The Bonnie Blue is most known form the Civil war. It was known as the flag of succession. Mississippi raised the Bonnie Blue after passing Ordinance of Secession. Georgia along with a few other states flew her in some form. The flag was more popular in the Western theater and was popular with some of the Texas brigades.

The flag became to be known for states rights and the song written by Harry McCarthy very popular only Dixie was more popular. The song says a lot about the feelings for the flag and the way people felt in the South during that era.

We are a band of brothers, natives of the soil,
    Fighting for our property we gained by honest toil;
    But when our rights were threatened the cry rose near and far,
    Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star,

CHORUS.

Hurrah! Hurrah! for Southern Rights hurrah;
    Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

As long as the Union was faithful to her trust,
    Like friends and like Brothers we were kind and just;
    But when Northern treachery attempts our rights to mar,
    We hoist on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah, &c.

First gallant South Carolina who nobly made a stand,
    Then came Alabama who took her by the hand;
    Next quickly Mississippi, Georgia and Florida,
    All raised on high the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah, &c.

Ye men of valor gather round the banner of our right,
    Texas and fair Louisiana will join us in the fight;
    Davis is our loved President, and Stephens statesman rare,
    Now rally round the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah, &c.

Then here's to brave Virginia, the Old Dominion State,
    Who with the young Confederacy at length has linked her fate;
    Impelled by her example let other States prepare,
    So cheer up for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah, &c.

Then here's to our Confederacy, so strong we are and brave,
    Like patriots of old, we'll fight our heritage to save:
    And rather than submit to shame, to die we would prefer,
    So cheer up for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

Hurrah, &c.

Then cheer up boys, cheer, and raise a joyous shout,
    Arkansas and North Carolina have both gone out;
    Then another rousing cheer for Tennessee be given,
    The single star of the Bonnie Blue Flag has grown to be eleven.

Hurrah, &c.

Here's to good old Maryland, although she is not out,
    She's first to meet the enemy and turn them face about;
    She'll join our young Confederacy, that's spreading near and far,
    And link her fate with the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears eleven stars.

CHORUS,

Hurrah! Hurrah! for Southern Rights hurrah!
    Hurrah for the Bonnie Blue Flag that bears a single star.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2F-drjUwNU"]YouTube - BONNIE BLUE FLAG (FULL VERSION)[/ame]

http://history.sandiego.edu/gen/snd/bonnieblueflag.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bonnie_Blue_Flag

I am by far no expert so please feel free to add any other info you may have.

2. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Thanks Ducken, what is so truly amazing to me is that so few southerners know the Southern flag history. I could raise the Bonnie Blue today and there would not be a ripple among my black brothers yet raise the Battle flag and there is a totally different reaction which only shows a lack of true historical knowledge IMHO. Sad:sad:

:hi5:

Ducken and cnc66 like this.
  3. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Thanks Ducken.
    Great history lesson.
    I'm down here in the South and have never heard any mention of this flag. Just the battle flag. :up:

Ducken likes this.
  4. Ducken

Ducken Luxury Box Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    Lower Delaware
    You could also fly the 1st National and I doubt you would hear a peep. It was so much like the American flag that during the fog of war there was several accounts of friendlies firing on each other because they could not tell which flag was which.

Of all the flags of the Confederacy the 2nd National is my favorite.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flags_of_the_Confederate_States_of_America

gafinfan likes this.
  5. cnc66

cnc66 wiley veteran, bad spelur Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Great stuff, glad you started the thread. I was dimly aware of the flag, but not it's history and knew nothing of the West Florida Republic. I just went all over the place as a result of looking into the Bonnie Blue. West Florida to learn more about the historic boundries and then to Reuben Kemper and his brother Samuel;

1804 was 6 years before the actual rebellion....sure would like to know about the "rescue"

to Fulwar Skipwith a diplomat who became the first and only President of the Republic of West Florida. Cool guy, served in France, instrumental in the Louisiana Purchase, later served as State Senator;

Here's how that battle went down;

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKk3Q8CgNCE"]YouTube - jimmie driftwood---the battle of new orleans[/ame]

that led to William Charles Cole Claiborne, the first U.S. governor of Louisiana. He was something else.. reading law at 19, appointed to the La. Supreme Court at 21, elected to the House of Representatives at the age of 22.. you had to be 25 to serve ny US Constitution, he served 5 years in the House. 1801, ahe 26, he was appointed Governor of the Territory of Mississippi. 1804 he became Governor of the newly aquired Territory of Orleans.

It was while serving there that he refused to recognize the independence claim of the Republic of West Florida and assumed control in the name of the United States of America. President Monroe claimed the territory as part of the Louisiana Purchase.. (otherwise Florida would still own it.. stealers)

Anuway, he helped suppress the German Coast slave uprising of 1812.. called the "largest" which brough me back to the Third seminole War where the 365 slaves that revolted "should" have been the largest.. and first sucessful, but that's back to my John Horse, Black Seminole thread.

Anyway, had a blast, thanks for getting me started .. Tokyo for asking, you Jay, for starting the thread.

Themole, Ducken and gafinfan like this.
  6. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Good stuff. Unfortunately, this is the history that people have to find out on their own because the federal department of education has ensured that the true history of the south will not be taught in schools, rather they teach the spin that the northern history writers have put on the south.

Ducken and gafinfan like this.
  7. sking29

sking29 What it takes to be cool

Dec 9, 2007
    East Tennessee
    I respectfully disagree with this. History is viewed through a biased lens by people on every side...I'm not sure there is ever a "true" history of anything.

However, Ducken, I loved the thread. :up: