1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Case and Exceptions for Ryan Tannehill starting in 2012

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Apr 27, 2012.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    Let me first say, Im not advocating Tannehill start. That is up to the coaches, and up to the competition between Moore, Garrard, and Tannehill. I'm simply suggesting there may is a valid case for him starting in 2012. Whether it is week 1 or week 10.

I am an advocate for sitting a young QB until he has learned from the Vets ahead of him. You CAN break a QB by putting him in before he is ready. And I worry Dolphin fans who haven't drafted a QB in the first round since Marino don't have the patience to let Tannehill develop, since they always want to see the young guy play whether it is Cleo Lemon or John Beck.

However there are exceptions to the rule of sitting a young QB .

The 1st exception is if you are selecting a once in a decade Franchise QB with the #1 pick, ala Manning, Elway, Luck. You start him week 1. These players are simply less "breakable" since they have already developed skills necessary to be a starter. Their NFL development is simply to make them elite. Tannehill is not that QB.

The 2nd exceptions are athletic, mobile QBs who can make plays with their feet until they learn to make them with their head and Arm. Vick, McNabb, Newton. Though Vick took a long time to become a passer, he wasn't broken. Tannehill seems to be that QB. Though perhaps to a lesser degree.

The 3rd exception is the QB who was drafted after others, wasn't expected to start early but surprised and seized the starting role in their 1st year. Marino and Andy Dalton come to mind. Time will tell regarding Tannehill. And this is the exception I'd prefer to make if it came to be.

The 4th exception might be Tannehill's alone. His situation is unptecedented. A QB who spent 4 years in college with the same system and coaches who will be teaching and coaching him in the pros.

Think of how much different the learning curve is when you already know the system and coaches while perhaps just as important, they already know you. He is entering year 5, not year 1. I think that and Tannehill's mobility make him less a risk of breaking than a Gabbert or David Carr.

Again, I'm not advocating he start, but if he does, I'm not worried he'll break. So long as the decision is based on the above exceptions, and not fan pressure.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    There have been a lot of rookie QB's who started from day 1 over the last handful of years, and a lot of them had immediate success. Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, etc. Hell even Mark Sanchez had some success early on.

With Tannehill knowing the offense already, and knowing his dedication, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see him playing this year.

3. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    He can also teach the WR's how to run the routes in this system.

4. sleek

sleek Member

Jan 3, 2008
    I think the #4 exception is a big one. Knowing the system and having all your old coaches. That should cut the learning curve down a lot.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    spot on all four points. should make for an interesting season to watch this unfold

6. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Let him play, if he sucks maybe we can nab Barkley

7. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    If we don't fix the right side of the line I don't want him getting punched in the mouth every sunday. If we don't get some WR help I don't want him looking bad which in turn forces our coaches to keep him on a short leash in hopes of keeping their job.

I want to see him start because I know for a fact he's the most physically talent QB (and WR) on our roster. I want him to start so I get a better grip of his talent level which I already think is pretty high.

It's a balacing act really. I don't expect to win more than 6 games next year anyway so I'll be fine with him sitting or starting as long as starting doesn't david carr him out of the league. I fully expect Matt Moore to get beaten out by garard if not garard and tanny.

8. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011

then you get nothing for tannehill? basically a wasted 1st round pick after one season? won't happen. If we actually get the pick for barkley next year I'd rather trade it rams style and a bunch of first round picks to rebuild our team around tannehill. Any first round pick should get atleast 3 full seasons before theyre judged as a bust unless theyre jamarcus russle bad.

9. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    i don't see barkley as the world beater talent that was andrew luck, if we hypothetically had a shot at luck like talent next year I'd try and move tannehill.

10. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    We already wasted our first this year and he hasn't played yet, bring in Barkley next and I'll be happy.

11. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    I thought I remember McShay on radio stating that if Barkley came out he wouldn't necessarily put him ahead of Tannehill. pretty even in his opinion.

As far as Tannehill starting. If drafted Massie to protect the other side of the line, I'd feel better about Tannehill. I don't want to see our prize rookie behind that POS right side of the line we had last season. Draft Massie, let our guys compete for the RG position, and we could be okay.

12. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    wow. maybe you should just quit being a dolphins fan for a season then and hope that we fail miserably so we can draft Barkley.

13. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    What are the lottery numbers for next week?

14. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    Do not start Tannehill until maybe the last 4-6 games of the season. I might be alone here, but i want a bad season. Another top 8 pick will go a very long way to determining our future for the next decade. If indeed Tannehill becomes the QB we hope, then we get get more top notch young and cheap weapons for him in next years draft.

Also, we could be in position to double down on QB next year, which i think is an extremely smart thing to do. If you double down on QB you double your chances at finding your franchise QB and if both turn out to be good, then you can turn the pick you used into multiple picks.

15. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    As last night clearly showed. It's not hard (or overly expensive) to trade up to 7-10 range if you are in the lower teens range of the draft order.
    and I'm okay with selecting a QB next year in 4-6 rounds, but potentially spending another 1st rounder on a QB before you've evaluating your first 1st rounder is insane.
    stick to your guns (Tannehill) and draft impact players to support him as he grows. That's what a good franchise does. The best franchises (Giants, Patriots, Steelers and Ravens) don't overreact or panic. They stick to their philosophy and that consistency translates to the field.

16. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    I just looked at the schedule and if I were the Dolphins, I let him take the reigns in Week 15 and let him play it out from there. That would give him vs. Jacksonville (not great defense), vs. Buffalo (good pash rush, which should be a good challenge for him), and @ New England (soft defense resting up for the playoffs in all likelihood). This is a relatively soft start for him and give him some confidence and give us some tape to figure out what to improve so he's ready to start the 2013 season as the #1 QB.

17. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Its usually the rookie QB who has difficulty in learning the playbook and the calls.This may be the first time the veteran QBs are at a disadvantage from the get go .

I wont be surprised if he starts from Game 1 .If not then its a good bet he takes over midseason a la Marino.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  18. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    But I suspect a veteran can learn a playbook quicker than the average rookie can adjust to the speed of the NFL. Tannehill's advantage will dissipate quicker.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

19. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    You're right that he does have an advantage in this aspect.
    However, I'll argue that the biggest adjustment QB's have to make is being able to handle the speed of the game and completely changing what constitutes an open WR in the NFL VS. what is considered "open" in college.

With his limited playing time in college I don't see him being able to successfully be an immediate play at the next level.
    He'll have a lot of adjusting to do.

Honestly with the lack of talent we have at WR right now and the OL question marks do we want him playing his first year????

jedburg likes this.
  20. Phinatic19

Phinatic19 New Member

Aug 30, 2010
    no but the draft isn't over.

21. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    You are right but I never assume that even a talented rookie is going to come in and light it up his first year.
    So regardless of who we draft it's likely were going through next year light on WR talent and issues on OL.