The Cheetah

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Sep 14, 2023.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Everyone knows Tyreek Hill is fast, but the data shows just how much faster he is than any other ball carrier in football.

The NFL’s Next Gen Stats uses tracking technology to measure players’ speed, and in Week One, Hill was the fastest player in the NFL with the ball in his hands. And the second-fastest as well.

Hill reached a top speed of 21.66 mph on his 47-yard catch in the fourth quarter, and he reached a top speed of 21.52 mph on his 35-yard catch in the third quarter. Those were the two fastest plays for any ball carrier in the NFL so far this season.

When he was targeted more than 10 yards downfield, Hill caught six of the eight passes thrown to him, totaling 188 receiving yards on those six catches. Over the last six seasons, Hill accounts for three of the top six yardage totals on passes of more than 10 yards downfield.

There’s no deep threat in football like Hill.

Hooligan and resnor like this.
  2. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Up there with Justin Jefferson as the best WR today. One thing missing from both WRs though, when comparing to all-time greats like Rice and Moss, is TDs. They're similar enough on yards, but not TDs. Rice and Moss had double-digit TDs in 9 seasons out of their career. Neither Jefferson nor Hill look like they'll do that at present. Really hope that changes. The two best predictors of getting into the HoF for WRs are total yards and total TDs, so arguably those are the two most important stats to pay attention to.

OwesOwn614 likes this.
  3. FinFaninBuffalo

FinFaninBuffalo Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2007
    On pace for 3655 yards and 34 TDs!!!

Pauly and cbrad like this.
  4. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    It was common knowledge that Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest player on the field. It's also a historical fact that he was faster than anybody chasing him. Still the GOAT at any position IMO.

5. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Very good choice for sure. I think there are 4 players I'd say are in conversation for the best ever: Brady, Montana, Rice and Taylor.

However, the guy that just wows me the most — possibly makes the top 10 all time but maybe not — is Barry Sanders. I know he never competed in a SB and he doesn't have all the RB records, but there are more "wow" plays with him than anyone else IMO. But yeah, the "best ever" I think are those 4, maybe there's someone else (but I wouldn't dilute too much).

resnor, Phin McCool and OwesOwn614 like this.
  6. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    My knees and ankles hurt just watching him.

resnor likes this.
  7. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    To quote Rich Eisen, Tyreek Hill is uncoverable!

8. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    Good selections. My only substitution might be to put Deion over Montana. Not because Montana isn't still arguably the greatest QB but because I supplanted him on my list with Brady (ugh!). If there was another Hall of Fame that included people who should actually be enshrined instead of those who got in because, Well, somebody had to be selected that year, right?, then all 5 would be in that one, too.

9. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    The reason I personally keep Montana on that list is because he's statistically speaking (in z-score rating, i.e., efficiency relative to peers on a common scale) the 2nd highest ever in regular season efficiency after Young, and the highest ever for post-season. Brady won more, but he's much lower on the list of relative efficiency both for regular and post-season.

Well, this is subjective anyway. Personally I'd leave Deion out. So maybe we can agree that the top 3 are Brady, Rice and Taylor if we push ourselves to keep the list as short as possible?

10. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Take a Qb

Take a moving object

Move the object across a football field at a certain speed let’s say tyreek waddle level speed.

Then take the same target and lower it down to Parker Gesicki type speed

Which is a more difficult target to hit?

Stfu haters :)

11. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    Jim Brown? I never saw him play and the footage is old and grainy, but the man had power and could turn on the afterburners in the open field.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2023
    resnor likes this.
  12. OwesOwn614

Jul 8, 2020
    I grew up with a dad who was a Browns fan. I could put Jim Brown on my list with no problems at all. Dude beasted out for 9 seasons and walked away while he still had his brains and body intact.

resnor likes this.
  13. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Ii really think that in football it has to be greatest player at X position, for his era. There are just too many differences between different eras.

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    LOL, yeah...if the season ended today and we just multiplied by 17. I'm not sure if I'd like that or not....I think I'd rather see the last 16 games and have Hill end up with less yardage.

Tua would be at 7,922 passing yards though and 51 TDs, likely making him the best QB ever. The time machine approach is tempting!

15. Phil Hutchings

Phil Hutchings Well-Known Member

Sep 16, 2018
    Rice was in the fortunate position of having two all-time great quarterbacks, Joe Montana and Steve Young, throwing the ball at him.

resnor likes this.