1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Current and Future State of our Offensive Line

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Dec 10, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    The first half of our season our Offensive Line was really quite Offensive. The real mistake came this off season when not addressing our Offensive Line properly, and making that a priority as any.

Now it wasn't all Jake Long leaving that really did us in. It was truly a compilation of things but none more than finding proper scheme fits for our zone blocking. Incognito is known as a mauler with limited athleticism, John Jerry is overweight. Tyson Clabo is even a more of a man blocker than zone. Only real fit was Pouncey and Martin. But Martin wasn't steady against the pass. So realistically we have a under performing line, that isn't an exact for what we want to do.

Trade for McKinnie, Martin leaves, controversy breaks, Incognito gets suspended.

McKinnie solidifies LT, Brenner/Garner hold down LG, Garner fills in at Center for Pouncey, and Clabo ups his level of play.

Our running game has improved and while a few sacks is the norm it has been much improved especially in crunch time.

So, if there is one thing we need to fix to really get this team where we need to be is our Offensive Line. But, it isn't as bad as you would think.

What we perceive to believe we need:

LT, LG, RG, RT

What's our options for LT:
    -Resign McKinnie to a short term deal and use him as a stop gap. Additional plan could be to draft a mid-round prospect to learn under McKinnie.
    -Sign a FA (Branden Albert, Jared Veldheer, Zack Strief or Roger Saffold)
    -Draft a early round LT: (no order)
    1. Taylor Lewan - Mich
    2. Antonio Richardson - Tenn
    3. Cyrus Kouandijo - Bama
    4. Cameron Erving - FSU
    5. Greg Robinson - Auburn
    6. James Hurst - UNC
    7. La'el Collins - LSU

What's our options for LG:
    - Give Garner his due and let him finish out this season as a starter and see if he earns a starting spot
    - Let Brenner get majority of the reps and see if he can continue his uphill climb from UDFA to Starter as a rookie
    - Sign a FA (Matt Slauson, Jon Asamoah, etc.)
    - Have Philbin realize he has a All-SEC guard who he is wrongly trying to make a RT
    -Draft a early round guard: (no order)
    1. David Yankey - Stan
    2. Tre Jackson - FSU
    3. Anthony Steen - Bama

What's our options for RG:
    -Keep investing in the reclamation or damnation project that is John Jerry
    -Slide Garner over to RG, and let him hold the fort
    -Let Brenner have his hand to earn the RG role after filling in great at LG
    -Sign a FA (see above)
    - Now that you've played Dallas Thomas on the right side at tackle let him just shift down one and earn RG
    -Draft a mid-round guard:
    1. Arie Kouandijo - Bama
    2. Spencer Long - Nebraska

What's are options for RT:
    -Re-sign Clabo for one more year
    -Give the Dallas Thomas experience a try
    -Slide utility man Nate Garner outside
    -Sign a FA (Michael Oher, Eric Winston, or Roger Saffold)
    -Draft a mid round RT:
    1. JuJuwan James - Tenn
    2. Jack Mewhort - OSU
    3. Jake Fisher - Oregon

My personal choice would be this: Left Tackle

First Choice:
    -Draft a 1st round LT. This year is stacked and I mean stacked for LT. If Emperor Jeff does return for another year, cater the strengths of this draft O-Line and D-Line. Worst case scenario we could find a starter at LT in round 2. My preferred choices:

1. Greg Robinson - Auburn, young guy who has been dominant during this winning streak. He may come back for another year and be the top LT next year but if he does come out he could develop into a stud.

2. Cyrus Kouandijo - Bama, another developing tackle, but is by far the most talented prospect to come off that O-Line the past few years. Had a great game at Auburn despite the loss and I love how physical Bama plays would like it on our line.

3. Cameron Erving - FSU, has had a great year protecting Winston. Young and athletic with great size, played DT when he fist played at FSU.

Backup Choice:
    -Re-sign McKinnie and draft a developmental project for a LT, in 3rd round possibly.

My Personal Choice: LG

First Choice:
    -See how Sam Brenner finishes the year. He was rated as a draftable prospect prior to the draft and the kid has done well against some quality lines this past few weeks. One thing we neglect is that chemistry and continuity are important to a Lines success. Nice thing with this plan is that if Brenner flounders we have Garner to step in like always who can hold the fort down.

Backup Choice:
    -In this scenario McKinnie is coming back and if he is one thing he is experienced. With that being said we should draft a early round guard to learn from his experience. My preferences:

1. Gabe Jackson - Miss. St, guy is a multi-time All-SEC guard playing on a less talented team. Plays with a nasty streak and has athleticism.

2. David Yankey - Stanford, I like the Cardinal linemen save our special guy. They play nasty and this guy might be the best of them.

3. Anthony Steen - Bama, always consider the weaker of the Bama lineman. Well, look at the talent they have had and what they do have. That isn't necessarily a negative more than a reality. He is solid though and we could use solid someone who brings their lunch pail every week.

My Personal Choice: RG

First Choice:
    -Draft a mid round guard to compete for the position. But, at the end of the day you invested a 3rd round lineman this past year and played him our of position at RT. Slide him down to RG and see what Dallas Thomas can do. Additionally, give Garner every opportunity to win the job from him as well. We use a hungry rookie, a underused 2nd year player, and a consistent veteran. One of them will rise to the top. Some mid round prospects:

1. Andrew Norwell - OSU, he was named All-BIG TEN this year for a highly successful Buckeye offense. Those guys could really maul some guys in the run game. Has some experience at tackle if we are in a bind. With a draft choice in the middle rounds I'd like my O-Lineman to be versatile.

2. Spencer Long- Nebraska, a school that usually puts out quality lineman. Long, was a former walk-on and a predicted top 100 pick this coming year if he didn't tear his ACL. Granted I am wary of players off injury but taking a guy to let him compete I feel more apt to do it.

Backup Choice: Sign a veteran Free Agent to come in to provide leadership.

My Personal Choice: RT

First Choice:
    -We've invested a 1st round selection on a LT, not quite so sure I want another rookie blocking the outside on the right. Also to mention if we draft a rookie to compete at RG, that could make 3 potential rookies on the O-Line if we use one for RT. So, what I'd like to do here is sign a vet to come in an hold down the fort and provide some leadership. No, I am not talking a past his prime vet a la Marc Columbo, Tyson Clabo. More or less I am talking about signing even a LT who would swith to RT. But, let's sign someone to at least a muti-year deal so we don't have to have this rotating door. Even taking a flyer on a late-round prospect to learn under the vet is too my liking just don't rely on a rookie at both tackles. Let's take a look at some options:

1. Michael Oher, Baltimore, hasn't had the best past couple of years but people were saying he was top RT a couple years back. Still relatively young player and keeps his nose clean. He has also been on a consistent winner something we could use to teach this young team. I'd look at him for a 3 year deal.

2. Breno Giacomini, Seattle, any one who keeps those rush lanes open for Marshawn is good by me. Also 28 years old makes him valuable for at least a few years.

3. Roger Saffold, St. Louis, moved from LT to RT when Long came in. Wasn't the happiest about it as I have heard but may be time for him to play on a winner. Honestly, if it means giving him a shot to win the LT outright I am not against it.

Backup Choice: You spent time developing Thomas to be a RT, and invested a 3rd round pick on him. Let him play.

What are your thoughts?

MrClean, ScottishFin, 305 and 11 others like this.
  2. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Sam Brenner has been playing really well.

I would prefer to sign an FA LT and draft an RT, re-sign Jerry for depth reasons and perhaps bring in someone to challenge him for the RG spot.

Drafting a center is also an option, centers can be had a little later in the draft. We can then move Pouncey to RG if it means our line is going to be better as a whole. I was a fan of drafting Brian Schwenke last year with this idea in mind, although Schwenke could probably play guard as well (he is starting at C for the Titans).

3. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think the biggest thing is that the GM needs to get offensive linemen whom fit the scheme, and the coaching staff needs to adjust the scheme if they don't have what is ideal. Neither of those have happened thus far.

If you're going to run a lot of outside zone, you need linemen who can consistently execute the blocks that'll be asked from them. That isn't really Bryant McKinnie, Richie Incognito, John Jerry, or Nate Garner.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Mckinnie- Pouncey - Pouncey - Incognito - Clabo
    1) bring home Icognito, acquire Marquise & develop our bench
    2) find a competent offensive line's coach to get the job done
    done!

go after a short-yardage & blocking monster with good hands for the backfield

ElNino and xphinfanx like this.
  5. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    Incognitoshould stay gone for the Golf incident alone.

MikeHoncho and cuchulainn like this.
  6. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    LOL How confused would a defender be being passed from Pouncey to Pouncey?

Why is Incognito in that lineoup though?

7. Jagfish

Jagfish Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    This Planet you call Earth
    McKinney, Brenner, Pouncy, FA, FA and draft a tackle and guard or two. Jeff likes to double down on positions.

8. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Veldheer - Garner - Pouncey - Brenner/Thomas - Saffold.

Spend the bucks.. Icognito has several mil tied up..which should help.

Draft LT, RG between 1 & 4.

9. Ludacris

Ludacris Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Incognito and Jerry are free agents next year. I doubt either will be re-signed. I expect Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, Valdheer, Maurkice Pouncey and Roger Saffold will get looked at as well as any draft eligible players. Clabo still gets pushed back and gets beat too much for my liking and Mckinnie is getting long in the tooth. McKinnie would be nice to bring back as a LT for a year if a LT is drafted because generally NFL teams like to start rookie tackles on the right side in their first year. Ideally though, I would like to see a youngish veteran free agent LT signed to replace McKinnie.

PhinGeneral likes this.
  10. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    What about Cyril Richardson, OG from Baylor? I've often seen him referred to as one of the best guard prospects in the draft.

11. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    blow that **** up... we need to sign/draft like 5 new OL minimum.

12. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    He's clearly very athletic for being that big, but I'm a bit apprehensive of guys I don't see doing outside zone plays. A guy can be athletic as hell but if he can't stay on his blocks moving horizontally to the line of scrimmage it's a problem.

13. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    I'd agree. Although he's done an admirable job since he's been here, banking on McKinnie at his age is playing with fire. If you're going to do it, you have to have someone ready to step in and take the reins at almost any time.

Ludacris likes this.
  14. Phinastic

Phinastic Active Member

Jan 3, 2012
    I don't think there could be a more thuggish offensive line.

Phoenician Fan and DolfanTom like this.
  15. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Incognito and Martin were a waste. They had been on this offensive line together for a whole season and the results this season were far less than spectacular. Then Bullygate breaks. We find out that Incognito is the same nutcase as he was with the Rams and that Martin is a spoiled little wussy.

We bring in McKinney, Garner and Brenner as stopgaps. The offensive line improves with the supposed stopgaps; even Clabo settles down and his play improves. The OLine, in other words, only becomes serviceable after Incognito and Martin are removed from it. Is this a coincidence? I doubt it.

Good riddance.

16. cuchulainn

cuchulainn Táin Bó Cúailnge Club Member

Sep 7, 2012
    Hattiesburg, MS
    PFF from the stej game... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/02/refo-dolphins-jets-week-13/

Steelers game... https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/09/refo-dolphins-steelers-week-14/

17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I resign Mckinnie..

I draft Two lineman (left tackle, guard), and I sign a free agent right tackle.

Mckinnie..Thomas..Pouncey..draft pick..free agent right tackle..

Fill the names out this offseason.

18. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    You are seriously willing to put Dallas Thomas into the starting line up next year when he can't even see the field despite a rash of injuries along the OL this year?

Honestly, if Jeff Ireland is kept, I can see him forcing Thomas onto the staff the way he did with Martin. However, if the staff has any choice, I highly doubt Dallas Thomas is even on the roster in year 2. Sam Brenner was better than him in training camp, and he's still better than him.

19. Phoenician Fan

Phoenician Fan Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2013
    The Garner love on this forum never ceases to amaze me.

The guy has graded out poorly his whole career.

He has never been good. He isn't good now. He will never be good.

At the very best, he is a mediocre to bad backup C/OG. His OT grades are dismal, of course, he does play for a team that started Jonathan Martin at LT, so WTH.

I am on board with those who want to see the whole OL nuked to kingdom come.

I would even go as far as trading Pouncey for a late first round pick and starting over from scratch.

20. rtl1334

rtl1334 New Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Instead of determining who will be playing each specific spot, we have to decide who'll make up the 8 or so linemen on the team.

We have Pouncey, Thomas, Garner, Brenner and Watkins either under contract or have exclusive rights. Due to the injury I am not adding Yeatman. As well, not adding Martin for obvious reasons.

Of those five I see four making the team - Watkins is likely the odd man out. From there I see McKinnie being re-signed as the difference in performance from someone like Albert would not be justified considering the difference in price. From there I see one more free agent but very unlikely to be a big ticket FA. From there it'll be two more coming from the draft with quite possibly a first round starting tackle.

21. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    I'd like to be able to draft the best player available in the first round, but due to Jeff's roster mismanagement, we are likely pinned into the corner on drafting a tackle.

22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I haven't isolated Brenner yet, I will this offseason, if he's good enough then for sure...I think Thomas can play guard at this level...could be wrong but I thought he had solid fundamentals in college.