1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Darrelle Revis situation should be watched closely

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Paul 13, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    There have been four teams linked to a Revis trade thru various media outlets. San Francisco (they have the picks), Atlanta (they just cut one of their starters), Tampa Bay (they have the money) and now Denver (they are in full blown win now mode). But only the Bucs IMO can afford to sign Revis to a long term deal. The other three teams would be looking more at a one year rental. So while the Jets want to trade Revis outside the conference for this year, they have no control over where Revis would land IF he were to hit the free agent market in 2014. And that is where the Dolphins come in. If Revis were to be an unrestricted free agent in 2014, you can bet the Dolphins would be one of a few teams with the interest AND the cap space to go after him.

So what happens in the next week or just before the draft is crucial. If he's traded in the next week here at the start of free agency, the likelihood of a team signing him to a new deal is greater than if he is traded around the draft. More money is available to spend in the early days of free agency versus around draft time. The question is this: from the Jets perspective, is Revis' trade value higher or lower as we approach the draft? That is a complex one. Because, yes the corner market is deeper now than it will be later.... which might make his trade value lower now. But teams will have less money to spend around the draft, which will make signing him to a new deal more difficult and potentially also lower his trade value at that time. The Revis camp is pushing for a trade now because they want the money.

Stay tuned. Somehow the Jets will screw this up. Lets face it, it's already screwed up. Trading Revis isn't going to help them. :pointlol:

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  2. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    He's since come out and said he would like to remain a jet, that was a few days ago..

I would make a trade for the player, he just needs to understand that his contract needs to reflect that he didn't play last year, and he tore his acl..it would reflect top 5 corner money, even though I believe he's far away the best corner in the league..

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  3. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Ummmmmm....could be, but there's a lot to happen before we get to that situation...

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Not sure if want

Contracts mean nothing to this guy.

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    At some point people will realize a "shut down corner" is pretty much obsolete and one that is being paid well over 10 million per yr is even less desirable.

Think about it, 3 Wr's sets, you'll have 1 10 million plus Cb covering 1 Wr and 2 mediocre Cb's covering the other two b/c you are paying Revis so much. Add in Te's being such a huge part of offenses now and it makes even less sense

PhinsRock, Clark Kent, Ducken and 2 others like this.
  6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    the injury situation could make it more likely he is dealt later rather than sooner. It just makes the situation even more complex. Disadvantage jets.

7. Springveldt

Springveldt Season Ticket Holder

I think I would stay away tbh. He's already the 2nd best paid CB in the league (and he didn't sign it all that long ago) and now he's wanting another contact with a raise of ~40%. No wonder the Jets are getting tired of him.

8. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Honestly I hope he stays with the Jets.

I don't want them acquiring premium draft picks or gaining salary cap space.

He's not a quarterback or a pass rusher so I can live with him eating up 10% of their cap and causing drama in exchange for shutting down one of our receivers twice a year.

9. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    No thanks, he's not worth it. Guy is never happy with his contract and he already makes way too much money. Look at whats happened to teams that have broken the bank for CBs, just about all of them have regretted it. And he's coming off an injury.....I think he's worth something big to a team like San Fran or Denver that needs to make a huge push but for us he makes no sense, we aren't one CB away from a title run. And lastly he's a **** ing Jet player, **** him.

10. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Or to NFL teams.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I don't think anyone knows what Revis is truly asking for contract wise.

12. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I hate to say it, but this could turn into a Hershel Walker type of trade for the JESTS...of course, it doesn't matter, cause that band of misfits will waste the picks on long snappers and place kickers....

13. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

They sent scouts to check out local water boys and equipment managers. Rumor has it that. They may double down on those positions with the expected plethora of draft picks they will get for trading Revis.

14. Phins28

Phins28 Up the Irons

Dec 4, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    IMO he'll be a 49er before the draft.

15. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    If we let smith walk, I don't see why we wouldn't offer the 12 th pick to the jets..

16. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Because that would help the Jets immensely and give us the highest paid cornerback in the NFL who just so happens to be coming off a torn ACL.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  17. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    That would make sense, except they don't have the cap space, not even close. I don't have the numbers directly in front of me, but I saw an article recently that suggested they would really have to off-load personel to just barely sign Revis under his current contract.

18. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I see you've been taking the "Jason Cole Presents: How to Make Up News 1101 Class".

19. ATLFINFAN

ATLFINFAN Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    With all the talk about getting Wallace this year, there is NO WAY we get Revis too. I dont understand the interest in Revis until it is known that he is healthy.

20. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Sometimes you have to sign players coming off injury, it happens all the time, the body heals, if sean smith walks, I would think there would be a possibility of going corner with the first pick, just speculating here, why not Aquire the best at 27..

I would do it because of my respect for the players game..he's worth the 12 th pick in the draft, bargain.

21. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Not interested in putting that much money and draft picks to solve only 1 CB spot, doubly not interested in helping the Jests get out of a sticky situation, they made this bed, let them lay in it.

22. PlanB

PlanB New Member

Mar 6, 2013
    LOL! Quote of the offseason so far! :up:

Paul 13 likes this.
  23. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    It was free and came with a box of a dozen donuts.

Fin D likes this.
  24. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I assume you just ate around the bite Cole took out of each one?

25. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    This.

I don't want the Jets to get an easy way out. I enjoy watching them have a corner and a terrible quarterback eat up 25% of their cap space when they are riddled with holes.