1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dolphins after Parcells

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Vampire Baby, Jun 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    What if it does not work.

Where do we go after that.

Ireland is being groomed of course.

In two years where are we?

Are we better than mediocre?

Please discuss.

2. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    1. lets not think of that. way to early

2. see above

3. yes...

4. hopefully the playoffs, with bill, jeff & tony in charge. we need stability.

5. now?? yes. we lost a whole whack of games last year by 3 points or less, and we've improved the roster, and everyone is healthy(so far), we're far beyond last year at this point IMO

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I have no doubt that this team will be a contender yearly once he leaves. He will set up the organization for success imo. In two years, I can honestly say we could be in the Conference championships. The guy has turned around every team hes been at I believe and I see no reason why he won't do the same here. He may be older, but he is wiser.

4. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

First there is nothing, given Parcells football history, to say that he will fail. Although there is always a first time for everything.

There is a new owner, with new ideas, so no one can answer that at this point in time.

More than anything else we need stability, both in the FO and coaching staff, and everyone knows that. So I see Jeff and Tony staying. Why else would they have taken their respective jobs if not to stay?

What I know or what I guess? What I know. Who knows (I'm not trying to be SMART here :wink2:) . What I guess if everything goes as planned? Bill will be leaving and we will be on the up swing and in the playoffs; at the very least.

Right now? No we are a 1-15 team. Remember Bill's rule. "You are what your record says you are." Will we be very good down the road? Oh my, I'm sure that everyone on this board is hoping and, in some cases praying, that we will be. Aren't you?

5. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

This was about as useless a thread as some of the articles we see coming from the media....why discuss this now ?? The regime hasn't even been here long enough to play a preseason game, much less evaluate any progress or digression that has been made ???

6. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Vampire Baby - What are your thoughts about all of this? Go ahead and step up to the plate and let'er rip. :up: It's not useless to me.

7. RGF

RGF THE FINSTER Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    NY
    I agree these questions are WAY too premature. I`m not bashing the thread but lets wait and see what develops first befor we start speculating way too far down the road.

8. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    I agree with you guys that this thread may have been a bit premature but I always worry about these things. I'm always looking ahead.

However I don't believe this is pointless. My intentions were not to be negative.

If Ireland is a good study of the Bill P. style of football this team has a good chance of drafting well and turning it around for the future. We know Bill won't be here very long so Jeff needs to establish himself.

Sparano is a rookie head coach and seems to be doing all the right things so far but we won't know how good he is until we see him out there coaching these guys up. I think he is a tough hard nosed no nonsense coach who will take no crap. Will that make us better? I sure hope so.

I just hope that things change in the next two years as everyone else here. If we stay the same and don't improve I'm just not sure where we would go from there.

For now I will be happy with the continuing rebuild and the direction we seem to be heading. I understand we have to build slowly and hopefully once the core is there we will add skill players to compliment.

We have to solidify the QB position soon for everything to fall in place.

Heres to the future. :up:

9. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    What if it doesn't work? When has Parcells failed? He turned around the Giants, Patriots, Jets and Cowboys. All of these teams at least made the playoffs before he left. The Dolphins will be just fine and contenders again when Parcells leaves in two or three years. Count on it (sadly).

10. dolphindebby

dolphindebby Season Ticket Holder Luxury Box

Nov 26, 2007
    GA
    Don't we have enough to worry about without all this?
    I just want to see some football and stop all the speculations etc.
    I'm not bashing you. I hope it didn't come off that way. I hate to see posters bashed.
    Sorry if it sounded like I was.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Bill Parcells will not let this franchise fail, hes to aware of his legacy for one, this is a new position for him, and he will not let his boy {ireland} fail, even when he does retire in a few years, til the day he dies or ireland is not in charge he will always have our backs and vested interest in our sucess.

ahhhhhhh, i have peace. bills in charge, HE WILL NOT FAIL...

12. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Things are pretty sad when we get down to worrying what will happen in 3-4 years. I'll be thrilled just to see what happens THIS year. But here goes:

Parcells always leaves, but never until he has instilled a successful culture into the franchise. hE WILL DO NO LESS HERE. (oops, hate CAPS lock)
    BP usually leaves because he gets tired of coaching, he is not coaching here, he is managing, he doesn't have the same pressures, player aggravations, etc. here that he would as a HC. So I see a decent chance he will stay the full 4 years of his contract. That puts him at 70 when he does leave, a perfect age for final retirement, which he will choose, in 4 years.

He hand picked Sparano and Ireland, I trust Parcells judgment of people and talent more than anyone else in the league, if Sparano & Ireland were good enough for Bill, they are good enough to lead this team, for a very long time.

We will suck again this year, max 5-6 wins, BUT we will see little gains here and there that will give us reason for lots of hope going into next off season.

Next year, 2009, we will make the playoffs for the first time in what? 6? 7? years? I actually can't remember, or figure it out adding next/this season when we won't make the playoffs again. We will likely win maybe 1 game in the 2009 season playoffs, but not make it to the big dance.

In 2010 we will make it to the AFC Championship game, not sure if we'll win and go to the SB or not, too many variables on recruiting and what Beck/Henne/McCown turn out to be.

In 2011 we will go to the big dance and win it all, then Parcells will step down and retire to the HOF.

In 2012 we will win our 2nd Sb in a row and erect a statue of Parcells right next to the Shula statue. You can take all this to the bank my good thread starter, I hope this alleviates your worries. (don't ask me to tell you what the bank will tell you to do with this on arrival) :lol:

gafinfan likes this.
  13. NorFlaFin

NorFlaFin Active Member

A legit talented OL would make me happy.

14. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    No offense, but he just got here and we should be happy to watch this team develop. :wink2:

But on to your questions....

Then we'll start over.

Depends on who is available at the time.

If in a few years if this regimes plan doesn't work out, then I think we'll be searching for a new GM as well.

IMO we'll be a better team on the cusp of being a serious playoff and possible SB contender.

Right now? Not really, we still have a long way to go.

15. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Cowboys did quite fine after Parcells. Once the leash was taken off Romo and TO began to shut up after Parcells was gone, they managed to improve their record. If Parcells had followed Sean Payton and David Lee's advice and gone with Romo from the start instead of Mr. Statue aka Bledsoe or aka Testaverde or aka Henson or aka Hutchinson...

As it is, we're better off though we still have gaps. The DL and OL are getting into places and hopefully Parcells will loosen the rope and let a few franchise-caliber WR's, QB's, CB's in.

16. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

isn't parcells here for 3/4 years?

17. Vampire Baby

Vampire Baby New Member

May 5, 2008
    Why didn't this place tell me to get bent when I started this thread? :lol:

It seems quite apparent that I was a little wrong.

18. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Even if Parcells leaves and given his history he is likely to leave at some point ,he will stamp this franchise with a culture and a system that should last for many years .

This is what we have needed all along .Someone with the stature to establish that culture and respect.

His former teams all were better when he left than when he arrived .

If all goes well I expect Ireland to be the logical successor to Parcells although he probably wont be elevated to Parcells lofty position.

alen1 likes this.
  19. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    You must have thought you were on a different site bro :wink2:

We are respectful of others opinions even though we may not agree with them :yes:

dolphindebby likes this.
  20. Crappy Tipper

Crappy Tipper AKA Hero13

Aug 23, 2008
    Tbd

21. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think people are wildly overrating the direct contributions of Bill Parcells to this team. He said he wasn't the GM, and he said he wasn't the coach, and for all intents and purposes it appears to be completely true. He's an administrator with a tremendous amount of advice and some draft/FA input. The coaches aren't running his schemes, they aren't picking up personnel to his specifications.

If Bill Parcells retired out of the Dolphins organization in after hiring the front office/coaching staff/personnel department/etc., I don't think the team would have turned out dramatically different than it has now.

22. 2xBlown

2xBlown Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    I think Parcells has a bit of a history of leaving and the team turning into a bit of a mess after. He collects a bunch of players who respond well to his rule and then run slightly amuck after. Look at whats happening to the Cowboys.

How I think Miami is different is that we have Sparano and Ireland. Both are showing themselves to be successful and if they are successful then they will likely stick around for a while. Even if Parcells leaves, we will still have the presence of those two which will maintain stability. Everywhere else he sort of left and a vaccuum remained that was not filled with anyone possesing the same sort of gravitas.

23. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Whadda ya mean, if it doesn't work ?? How can we no what to do until we find out if it is going to work ?? At this point, it seems to be working well enough, in fact quicker than most of us thought...

Why worry about what you can't control anyways ??

24. cowboy

cowboy New Member

Nov 7, 2008
    California
    I have been a Cowboys fan since 1975 and grew up in New York during Parcells era with the Giants. When Parcells does leave you will have a better team the you do now no doubt. He judges player talent very well, just not skill but their heart also. He likes players that want to play. Also he assembles good coaching staffs. Whether the Dolphins will be a great team when he leaves or just a good team only time will tell but the staff and players he'll leave behind will continue to make the Dolphins better. Look at what he did for Dallas.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.