1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Dolphins OL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Sep 17, 2020.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    According to Flowers:

Also:

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Thanks captain obvious (@joesched).

Technique is great. Achievement is better. At least the mind set is correct.

KeyFin likes this.
  3. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    The run blocking of the group leaves a lot to be desired. IT wasn't awful (like last season), but it wasn't good either. I don't know if a "pass" is in order considering not a single one of the players have played together before and this being the first game, but it is an area they have ti improve to have this "power rushing team" Flores seems to desire. With that said, there was a lot of encouraging moments...they seem to pass block well and Kindley looks like the guard we have wanted for years. Someone posted on twitter a play where he took Wise 8 plus yards downfield. Years and years of ****ty line drafts to maybe have two decent to good players out of the same draft is nuts. Granted, one game, but it was encouraging. Add Creed Humphries to that mix next year and you could have a dominate unit.

AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  4. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Seriously that tweet by joe schad .. i want my 1.5 seconds back, thats how bad that was.

Finatik and xphinfanx like this.
  5. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Lol and in other news scientists discover it's not good to stop breathing, and that water is in fact wet. That tweet is comedy gold.

Finatik, texanphinatic and xphinfanx like this.
  6. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I thought it was hilarious.

RevRick and KeyFin like this.
  7. Pauly

Pauly Season Ticket Holder

Nov 29, 2007
    I loved Joe Schad’s tweet. Pointing in a not too subtle way that Omar Kelly is a fool

RevRick, KeyFin, VManis and 1 other person like this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    “Austin Jackson is gonna be a star left tackle”

“Solomon Kindley will not be far behind and will be better than 2nd round pick Robert Hunt”

Gonna stick to my predraft projections.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  9. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Would be great to see us finally have some drafted OL talent work out. If Hunt can step into a starting role later in the season or next year that would be nice, but 2-3 is pretty good.

10. OwesOwn614

OwesOwn614 Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2020
    I feel the same way about the OL that I feel about the rest of the team: You can't add so many new pieces and forego the opportunities to sharpen chemistry in exhibition games and expect the team to play well from the beginning. Offensive lines need to not only hone their own technique, they need to learn to play with and trust the guys next to them. And that's especially true with two rookies. We'll take our lumps early, but 2020 should be a year where we should expect steady improvement more than we expect the team to win the division. Or even most of its games.

mlb1399 and Phil Hutchings like this.
  11. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its going to take time to get there. We can't get too frustrated when they have down games. But I liked Jackson and Kindley a lot coming into the draft, and they held their own in Week 1. We need them to do all they can the rest of this year next to Flowers, and then hopefully we can add a top center and maybe a RT next draft.

12. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I think this young line gets a pass for the majority of the season due to COVID, no pre-season, limited camp, etc. With that said though, they did have very good pass blocking and a few nice holes in the run game....week one was an excellent baseline to start the season with and build on. NE has a great defense plus they cheat (holding), so the competition should only get weaker from here on out.

If they can keep the Pats to one sack with Fitz's old legs, then Tua should have a fairly clean pocket by this time next season.

RevRick and Phil Hutchings like this.
  13. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I think they maul the Bills this week. They're a bunch of *******.

14. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida

Kindley is continuing to show why he won the starting job. Ed Oliver is a damn good DT, and one of the most gifted coming out of college in the last couple of years...

mlb1399, The Guy and Unlucky 13 like this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Seriously, when was the last time we had two starting quality guards at the same time? Its a welcome change.

KeyFin likes this.
  16. The Guy

The Guy Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2018
    That's the kind of stuff you show to the whole team in the film room if you want to get this team charged up for Thursday. Tell them to go out there and play like him.

17. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    The team has lacked the level of attitude and nastiness across the front for a long time.

While the guy gets his hands on the ball (great play), I still love that Kindley put the dude in the ground...as the tweet indicates...punish jumpers.

texanphinatic and The Guy like this.
  18. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    The great part about Kindley, is he is still very raw as a players...there are still a ton of missteps and awkward technique, if he can get those areas cleaned up, he is going to be a damn fine OG. He is already incredibly effective and a physical presence...

Unlucky 13 and The Guy like this.
  19. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Don't dismiss Hunt either - he was a bit more raw but has the physical tools. Wouldn't be surprised to see him later in the season perhaps.

Kindley tossing people around is nice to see. We needed a big, mean guy to move the LOS and get DTs going backward.

20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm not going to count on anything from Hunt until I see him playing well out there. Until then, my expectations aren't high.

21. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    For the past 10+ years, you guys have asked me what to look for in linemen and I've never once said great technique- my answer has always been guys that stay low with active footwork, a mean streak and just physical toughness. Our line is not where it needs to be but I absolutely love the aggressiveness that we're seeing so far...we can definitely build around these kids while they get up to speed in the years ahead.

They'll only get better with continuity and we're already seeing some stuff that we haven't had in a while...like folks getting pancaked at the 2nd level. Whenever a LB has to take a step back or to the side, that means the line has already won since they're inserting their wills and holes are opening naturally. We will eventually have a great all-around line and I think we already have that foundation on the roster. No idea who coaching line this year but that dude deserves some praise as well!

22. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Fair not to count on him, but I wouldn't count him out either. Regardless, 2 out of 3 ain't bad as the legend goes. :up:

ConvenientTruth likes this.
  23. ConvenientTruth

ConvenientTruth Member

Jan 28, 2014
    Florida
    That is a good take from all of this. The Dolphins were smart to double/triple down of the OL in this draft. Jackson, barely a year removed from the bone marrow (helping his sister) has a lot of growth. Obviously he needs to get stronger, but those sweet feet...he just glides. it is a beautiful thing. Also, being the 3rd youngest player in the league, he still has a few years of maturity.