1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Facemask Rule Makes No Sense To Me

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by maynard, Feb 2, 2009.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    came to light to me tonight. how is it that an offensive player can jam his hand and basically punch a defender in his facemask, but if the defender touches the offensive player's mask its a 15 yarder?

it happened tonight when a cardinal defender hit a steeler receiver in the facemask after the steeler was jamming his hand in the defenders mask for about 5 yards. makes no sense imo

2. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    yep, it doesn't make any sense but when it's done right it looks like a thing of beauty.

Walter Payton had the best ever i think, and Ricky's isn't to shabby ether.

3. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Offense favoring rules. Points get the crowd going. Makes sense in a business point of view.

4. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    yup it favors the offense which makes sense in being consistent. just seems incredibly unfair to me

5. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Tell me about it. As a former CB in HS, that rule just reeks.

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Yeah, i hated the fact that was a 15 yard penalty.

What really bothered me though was why Harrison was allowed to finish the game after blatantly punching a guy twice after a play. The refs clearly saw it since the flagged him on the play... but im sorry, DPOY or not... that should be an ejection from the game...

opfinistic likes this.
  7. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    theres a big difference. on defense your tackling someone, you can hurt players a lot worse if your grabbing and holding a face mask as compared to a open palm in the face. ive seen it called on the offensive player if he grabs the face and pulled and yanked.

as for Harrison, he got what he deserved IMO. he didnt "punch" him. he hit him and shoved him, but there was no punch.

8. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    The incidental FM penalty should be brought back. There were a lot of 15 yarders this year that should have been 5.

brandon27, texanphinatic and Tone_E like this.
  9. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ronnie gave Bob Sanders a nice stiff arm a few years back.

10. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    It also happens in the trenches all the time, by both offensive and defensive linemen and also never gets called.

Seems its only really called in a tackling situation. I agree with Opie on that one, they need to bring back incidental. If someone is getting tackled dangerously by the mask (lots of neck twisting going on when that happens) it should be given the biggie, but way to many touches being flagged harshly.
    I get you dont want judgement calls, but in this case tell the refs that if there is doubt, do the 15. If your clear it was a touch and release incidental, 5.

opfinistic likes this.