1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fallacy of the "Elite" QB.

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Sethdaddy8, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Words and phrases ruin things. My most hated fabricated term is "twerking." Twerking has a negative connotation, associated with sluts and whores. But really, it used to just be sexy dancing. Women can't dance sexy anymore, without being a ho-bag? Bull****, and screw you society for ruining what was an otherwise, good thing.

A phrase I hate football-wise is "Elite QB." What is this subjective nonsense. Is Eli Manning still elite? Joe Flacco? Who or what is elite? It doesn't matter, it's nonsense. But if we have to label QB's elite, then it should be:
    Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees. These are the only two guys who, on every single Sunday, so long as the other 21 starters don't lay flaccid like Jim Irsay's junk at the Penthouse club, will do everything to give you a chance to win. These guys hardly ever are bad.

Flacco, Eli, Rothlesberger, these are guys who have won championships on the legs of factors beyond their own contributions. And they are players who can absolutely suck on a given Sunday.

Schaub, Matt Ryan, Romo, Stafford, these are good players who are similar to the above, who can get a bit more gaudy production number wise, and like the above, can also pull an Irsay(and suck it.)

Russel Wilson, Kaep, Luck, Dalton, RT, these are up and comers. It's hard to consider them much more than that so early in their careers (see why re: RG3)

And then, beyond the good and the great...beyond the "elite"..there are two.
    The Gods: Peyton and Tom.
    These guys aren't elite, if anyone else can be elite. They are more. Because NO ONE, for 75% of the time or more, holds their team in check and accountable. These guys do more than just play great and win. They wirebrush their teammates asses when need be. And it's only because they can. They are more than players. They are the only two QBs who suit up and carry more authority than the coordinators. They hold both the offense and defense accountable. And the units respond. You see the Packers and Niners and Steelers and Giants and other Superbowl winners/contenders tanking it this year. When do Tom's and Peyton's teams tank it? Doesn't happen. They don't allow it. Because they are football gods.
    Who is the worst team in the league, Jacksonville? You could swap the Jags and Pats defensive personnel, and there would be no difference in the W/L column. When your QB is a god, and they control the ball, your fresh defense is better. Everyone is on Kaepernick's junk right now, and he is a promising young player. But if Tom Brady was on the Niners, they would be 3-0 with a +50 points for margin. I don't care how hard those first 3 opponents were. Schaub's weapons and defense are certainly no worse than Peytons. The difference? Peyton on the Texans would be 3-0, and slaughtered his opponents, turning them into gravy. Texans are 2-1, and two plays away from 0-3.

PS, Rivers and Cutler suck. They just do.

PPS, I gotta stop drinking during the week.

2. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I'd actually venture to say that Peyton carries more clout than his head coach. Much more. Did you see tonight's game? Fox wasn't on the field for 3 minutes in the 4th quarter because Peyton told him to get him a bagel. I **** you not.

Bellichik would probably send his son to go get Brady the bagel.

3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Foxy turned to an assistant, and you could see Peyton lip "Nooooo. You!" And he pointed, did the whole thing in a rather condescending manner. But it is what it is.

Best QB in Bronco history.

4. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Your post is confusing. You say that elite QB is a fallacy, but it's clear that you consider guys like Tom Brady and Peyton Manning to be clearly above their peers in the way they handle themselves and their respective teams. I think it's very clear that Brady and Manning are the definition of what an Elite QB is. Everyone else just tries to follow in their footsteps.

5. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    Better than elite. If I was Manning, I **** you not...I would go in and say, Make me head coach. I'm Pete Rose'ing it up in this *****. And you know what, they should green light it. John Fox...like that lunkhead is doing anything.

6. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    ANd why have a term for like 2 guys...Everyone wants there to be like 7 or 8, 10 elite QBs to justify the dumb terms existence. You have Tom and Peyton and then for everyone else in this league you are either: Great, Good, Bad, or Mark Sanchez.

MikeHoncho and ToddPhin like this.
  7. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I'd stick to your initial hierarchy: God [with Manning & Brady]... then elite, great, etc b/c IMO the two elite QBs [Rodgers & Brees] shouldn't be penalized just b/c there are two God QBs in their midst.

BTW, party at Seth's house. Free powder for everyone. :shifty:

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    The words you're choosing to name the delineations are irrelevant, when its those delineations that are important. The problem is that no one agrees on criteria, that's where the arguments come in. You and I could agree 100% what puts a QB into the very top level, but you could call that level "Great" and I call it "Squigglytits McGooshgoosh".....and we'd both be right (though I'd be slightly more right, because I have originality on my side.)

People who get upset about the word 'elite" are silly. That means you're silly. Hell, I'd even say you are elite level silly.