1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Fantasy Football advice thread

Discussion in 'Fantasy Football' started by Big E, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    They "are" but Williams has really impressed me this season and Stewart hasn't. Add that plus his experience leads me to believe he'll get the majority of carries and he could run away with that, pun intended.

I'd find someone who's willing to gamble on DMF and get a proven back.

What's more ridiculous is that it passed with only one manager veto and I'm guessing it's the guy who offered the 2nd proposal. That's just when you gotta hit it with trades. People are freshly disappointed with a draft, whatever but I find it harder to trade near the deadline.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Not in the normal way. They're using the same approach we did in 2005: one back will be the guy for one series, the other back will be the guy on the next series.

And as teams like Jacksonville and Minnesota have shown, sharing carries does not necessarily translate to lesser production. Fred Taylor had 1200 yards last year, for crying out loud.

3. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007

Well, Stewart was rather impressive in the 3rd game against the Redskins' starters. Williams was impressive as well, certainly, but I think that game was a pretty good indicator as to what to expect from their offense. Stewart had 10 carries for 100 yards and Williams had 9 for 101, both got a touchdown each. Not saying that Williams won't get more carries down the line but I do think they'll end up doing it like we did 2005 with Ronnie and Ricky.

4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'd love to trade DMF to someone whos high on him.

But the prob is that if I try to trade him for a proven back, lets say Lynch, putting him out there straight up is like admitting that I dont have much faith in him succeeding this year. I'd prob have to work at a package deal if I want to move him. That or try to get another high end WR to line up with Fitz and Marshall.

5. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

I didn't say that it would. I merely commented on Regan's thesis that Williams wouldn't lose "reps" to Stewart. I'm fairly certain he will but that doesn't mean that he's going to be unproductive of course.

6. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You'd be surprised how few owners think less in terms of "this guy thinks the player sucks" and more in terms of "how do I get this guy?" If they want him, anyway.

Just put him up for trade. If you can get Lynch for McFadden, you are officially the king of thieves; Lynch is going to have a monster year.

7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    In any situation where the #2 comes into the game often, yeah, the #1 guy is losing touches. But it's not a typical RBBC, so being concerned that Williams isn't going to get 25 carries a game is a little silly. Let me phrase it a different way: his production will outpace his touches. Same with Stewart.

8. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Gonzalez is 34 years old with a questionable at best QB situation. You cant honestly go down this list and tell me you would take any of these TE's over him.

By your own admission Gates, Winslow and Whitten were better. Clark had 700 and 11 TDS last year and missed a couple of games. Hes a great redzone target and has Manning. Shockey has always been good for 800+ but now hes indoors and should be the 2nd option after colston. He probably wont be asked to run block quite as much and hes got Brees.

While other players have excelled with questionable QB's Gonzalez is up there in age and is on a bad team with no proven QB. You will have to excuse me if I dont like that combination. While I think Gonzalez is one of the top 3 TE's of all time, I cant advocate drafting him this year unless its after those 5 are gone.

9. Vendigo

Nov 30, 2007

Even bad teams with bad QBs throw for well over 2.500 yards and someone's got to catch them. The Chiefs don't have any targets besides Bowe and Gonzalez and that abysmal offense line isn't going to give Bowe a lot of time to get open. Plus, the Chiefs will play from behind a lot resulting in more passing plays being called. I actually like Gonzalez a lot more than I like Johnson in terms of fantasy football this year. I just don't see their line giving Johnson much to work with and in the 2nd half, they will have to throw it and throw it a lot.

10. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Hi guys, what are your thoughts on this 10 team keeper league roster...

QB - Bulger, Schaub
    RB - W. Parker, M. Jones-Drew, T. Jones, J. Jones, R. Williams, R. Mendenhall
    WR - T. Houshmanzadeh, A. Gonzalez, D. Bowe, Re. Williams, J. Walker, D. Hester
    TE - J. Shockey
    K - M. Crosby
    DEF - Bills

11. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    tbh, for a 10 team league... i dont like it... who was your first pick because in a 10 team league, even if you had the 10th pick you could have gotten a barber, lynch, gore, larry johnson, etc...

from the looks of your draft your first pick most have been either Parker or Jones Drew... seems iffy to me

12. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Great point. The way our keeper league is structured, I had to put my keeper from last year back into the draft pool after a period of time, so admitedly, I'm short on superstars.

As I'm sure you can probably imagine, there was little talent on the board in terms of RBs, so I thought I did a pretty good job getting some depth there.

Mendenhall, Gonzalez, Bowe, Schaub are all young guys with some keeper potential moving forward.

Also we're slowly phasing out the ability to keep guys drafted in the first 3 rounds of the draft to ensure a situation like this doesn't occur again.

13. arsenal

arsenal Sunglasses and advil

Nov 26, 2007
    Commack, NY
    ^ahh gotcha... yeah every keeper league has different rules so sometimes with just the eyeball test you cant get the whole story...

14. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Your initial thoughts were pretty much spot on IMO, though.

I'm not going to be competing for a fantasy title this year, unless multiple people decide to go off, AP/LT style.

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm trying to pull off Andre Johnson for McFadden and Walter. I dont think this guy is dumb enough to take the bait, but he has Reggie Bush so there is a glimmer of hope. Probably have to keep negotiating for awhile.

16. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Warner just hit the waiver wire again. Do you think hes an upgrade over Garcia? Im thinking about putting in a claim for him. I do have Fitz also.

17. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    whos your other QB?
    I like Warner but i dont think he'll last the whole year.

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Palmer and Garcia. I'm just looking to get a solid back up and hopefully screw someone elses's team in the process.

19. Striking

Striking Junior Member

Apr 21, 2008
    Aurora, Colorado
    If Warner has the job he is a potential beast.

20. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    So here's a nice trade offer I just got that I'm mulling over:

Roy Williams, Frank Gore, Chris Chambers, Kellen Winslow for Brandon Marshall, Marshawn Lynch, Jason Witten, Santonio Holmes.

Since Williams and Moss share the same bye week and I've been meaning to correct it, so that's a plus, Lynch and Gore I consider a push, Witten's better than Winslow, and not so sure about Holmes vs. Chambers. Thoughts?

Current Roster:
    QB Peyton Manning
    WR Randy Moss
    WR Roy Williams
    WR Reggie Wayne (acquired via trade)
    RB LaDainian Tomlinson (acquired via trade)
    RB Frank Gore
    TE Kellen Winslow
    K John Kasay
    DEF Pittsburgh
    BN Ronnie Brown
    BN DeAngelo Williams (off waivers)
    BN Alge Crumpler (off waivers)
    BN Brett Favre
    BN Chris Chambers (acquired via trade)

21. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    do it!!! thats an upgrade for all 4 positons, kellen for witten may be a push.

Regan21286 likes this.
  22. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yea I would do it. Only value you might be giving up is Chambers/Holmes but thats a Maybe. Everything else looks like a nice upgrade.

Regan21286 likes this.
  23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Do that trade immediately. Every guy you're getting in return is better than the guy you're giving up. Brandon Marshall is THE receiving option on a team whose QB is about to hit elite status, and Detroit is transitioning to a run-first offense. Lynch will put up better numbers than Gore this year. Witten won't repeat what he did last year, but at least his QB isn't concussed. Holmes is a better fantasy option than Chambers (and it's his third year! Breakout time!)

I wish I got trades offers like that. Someone once "offered" me Randy Moss, Ahman Green, and Marc Bulger for Anquan Boldin, Marshawn Lynch, and Ben Roethlisberger. :lol:

Regan21286 likes this.
  24. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Whatd you guys think about giving up DMF and Kevin Walter for Andre Johnson?

25. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I guess I was hoping to not lose Chambers but yea, everything looked good. I'm just amazed at the trades I've been getting. People are trading things around in a flurry.

I'd do it if your RB's are solid. Andre is a bona-fide fantasy star when healthy and it's a question whether Walter will produce 800 yards or DMF will start.

26. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    If I trade DMF and Walter for Andre Johnson then I'm somewhat thin at RB. I would be left with Addai, Deangelo Williams and Slaton/Taylor. My WRs would be Fitz, Marshall and Johnson. If I wanted, I'm sure I could trade any one of those guys for a real nice RB.

27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You're thin at RB even with McStoppedOnInitialContact, IMO.

Is Chris Johnson available in free agency?

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    No, I wish. My league is pretty active when it comes to scooping people off FA.

29. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Then don't make the trade. Fitzgerald, Marshall, and Johnson is a solid group. Might as well keep McStoppedOnInitialContact in the hopes he does something over the first couple of weeks. Who knows, you might receive a trade offer from someone very high on him.

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Hopefully DMF can have a huge Week 1 and I can ship him. I would really like to get Johnson but we'll see. Its always the guys who have the players I have a shot at getting that don't check their proposed trades. You would figure in a $$$ league that they might be a little more inclined to read.

31. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    People are idiots, what can I say? I proposed a trade to someone poor at QB but strong at WR--I'd send him Favre, he sends me Marshall. Takes him a week to decline and counter-offer with Randy Moss, Ahman Green, and Donte' Stallworth for Ben Roethlisberger, Anquan Boldin, and Marshawn Lynch. I told him to eff off. :lol:

Don't be too upset about Andre Johnson, though. He's one of those "annual injury" guys.

32. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol wow. Maybe he was just trying to piss you off with that trade.

Johnson does get injured but hes huge when he plays. I did pick up Walter in the draft as AJ insurance. I'm just tryin to shop DMF before his stock drops but who knows, maybe he'll suprise me.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That's not the vibe I got. Either he's an idiot, or he thought I'm an idiot. (Half the forum would agree with him, but I still declined!)

Have you set McStopped as available for trade in your league? The resident McStopped lover (there's always at least 1) might propose something.

34. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Yea I have my whole team on the block. Everyone has a price.

I figured there would be a DMF lover. Didn't think taking him in the 5th made me it.

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you're really that uncomfortable with waiting, then propose some more trades. You'll eventually find the guy.

36. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    I'm always looking to make a trade to improve so Im more anxious then anything.

I also think that if I can land another solid WR or RB that I can run away with this league.

37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Be patient. And keep proposing those deals.

Some other guys to look at: Jerious Norwood, since it looks like he'll decent role in the Atlanta offense; Maurice Morris, who has apparently impressed the Seattle coaches more than Julius Jones; and Tatum Bell, the only other RB on Detroit's roster.

38. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    O I will be. All those guys have been gone since the draft tho.

39. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Never make trades out of anxiety. It's how people like me land insanely good deals.

Definitely keep proposing and if you get an idiotic trade proposal, fling one right back. And if someone calls your trade proposal and/or you idiotic, keep harassing em with it. It's why people hate having me in their league (one guy last year probably got fed up and actually accepted one of em :lol: ).

40. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Have you tried picking up Steve Slaton?