1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars - Shakespeare

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Mar 24, 2014.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    pun intended!

every team has good players. however, no team has 22 pro-bowl starters. there exists tremendous parity in the NFL. somewhere down the line coaching comes into the equation, tipping the balance of victory.

after the offensive line is addressed, we need to coach-up this team. we need to play smart according to the cards at hand to win in 2014. the Dolphins are talented as most & then some...

having said that, the coaching cadre has unused & misused the considerable talent available to them. they alone are responsible for getting every possible ounce of play out of the team roster, not the owner, not the GM. not the stars.
    coaching, coaching, coaching!:dolphin:

teach, train, motivate, inspire, organize, discipline, be unpredictable, change systems when necessary, modify systems to play to the strength of the team, be creative, focus on winning in all things at all times.

commit yourself early to a SuperBowl run & the post season is all but guaranteed. the big brass ring should be the only target & acceptable goal without excuse. always play to win!

your thoughts on the subject?

2. Triggercut

Triggercut Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2011
    Yes and no

3. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    This thread would have been a lot more relevant 9 days ago. :pity:

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    thank you Aqua4Ever:
    How the Chargers overcame offensive line deficiencies (and we can too)
    Started by Aqua4Ever04, 03-20-2014 02:40 PM

had we used this scheme in our last two games it might have made all the difference in the 2013 postseason

5. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I like the reference.

6. I have always said that the most important position on a team is the HC. Philbin has been mediocre so far.

the 23rd likes this.
  7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    how so?
    I think the thread is as relevant now as it ever was or ever will be. I believe this is an NFL axiom, a self-evident truth in any collective competition (team sport or military activity).
    I coached for about a decade at the high school level. my statement to the team, parents & school at the beginning of the season was always the same: "if we have a losing season I will resign." winning is why we play & the coach's personal responsibility. i.e. if you can't lead, step aside & let someone take the front who can get the job done.
    anyway you want to cut it, in the NFL the 3rd year is the crucible for a head coach. no more excuses.

8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Valid coaching comments..I don't think we're good enough skill wise on offense to compete for a playoff birth, that's why it's hard for me to look at lineman in the first two rounds..we need A dynamic piece in the passing game, and a Tre mason..

That's the question, who would you take..Brandin. Cooks, Ebron or Zack Martin..It would be nice to select a skill player, but we must address the right tackle situation.

77FinFan likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    19-Zach Martin
    50-best RB available (Hyde, Tre, whatever)
    bpa the rest

I think we are flush in the passing game if the offensive line & running game step up.

10. Fineas

Fineas Club Member Luxury Box

Jan 5, 2008
    We competed for a playoff birth last year. Didn't get it, but it came down to the final week.

Fin D likes this.
  11. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Ides of March, wasn't talking about the tread content but the title :shifty:

the 23rd likes this.
  12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    got it! Idus Martiae
    hope things turn out better for Philbin than they did for Caesar
    need to get a couple of starters out of the upcoming draft, then across the board the team has to step up & play to win.
    I had the most unpleasant experience last year while at the Buc's home game against Miami. it was an embarrassment. the favored dolphins literally gave the game away without a fight. most pathetic game I've seen in years. collectively, they looked like they just didn't want to be there. simple truth, the coach did not prepare the team properly to play the game. no excuses. hope to never see another one like that...

13. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    Cave Idus Martias. Idus is a fourth declension feminine plural accusative, the direct object of cavere. Since Latin months are adjectives, Martius needs to agree in case, number and gender with its antecedent, Idus, so it's the accusative plural feminine, Martias.

Sorry, 23rd. Couldn't resist.

The line from Shakespeare fits to a "T." What Shakespeare meant (the fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves) is that there is no such thing as bad luck; what we do (or don't do) determines what happens to us. We make our own breaks.

the 23rd and MrClean like this.
  14. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

We simple country folk merely say: Luck is a product of design.

15. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    cdz12250:
    gender sensitive are we?
    we were both right, either can be used
    I am not a Latin Scholar
    they used to teach it in Catholic school up to the 8th grade
    but I get your drift

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ides_of_March

16. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA

Playing on the Shakespearean theme, this last season was a tragedy. Act I, three consecutive wins. Act II, four consecutive losses. Act III, the Bullygate affair. Act IV, Stumbling to an 8 - 6 record. Act IV, the downfall of the realm of Phinross, and the dispatch of Count Ire. Now, Lord Hick has been appointed from one of the subaltern realms to replace Count Ire, and has proceeded amain to again reconstitute the oft-times, but likewise errant gallant knights, squires, and infantry, with a refreshment of the court of advisers to once again, stride upon the field of contest. Thus far, t'appears the good lad is proceeding a main, and mayhap, even progressing toward proclaimed achievement. 'Tis a certainty, required primary elements to lend force to the Captain Tanne remains the direly lacking rooted in necessity in the coffers, yet the uncontenteded fault remains. The commander, Lord General Bin, is yet unproven in mettle and wit, t'would seem to the groundlings, and pleas to the Lord of the realm to further examine the constitution of the leading components remain unrequited. Not withstanding, seemingly, the kingdom bravados will once again fraybound embark afield under care of the same command. 'Tis true, the firmest wishes that our Liege, His Majesty Ross, might have consort with the great Lord Cowher, long retired from the conflict, or the equally illustrious, if not fully tested, Baron Grue notwithstanding, Lord and commander Bin will set our forces afield again. 'Tis not the consummation devoutly wished.

Doncha love it when I spend the weekend reading Hamlet? Takes weeks to come down from the high (Elizabethan, that is!) G'zound's man, the contest lies before us!

the 23rd and MrClean like this.
  17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Why a hack like Shakespeare who mosy likely either wasn't a singular person or the more likely scenario didn't write his own works?

18. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    about Shakespeare: only a theory however intriguing, nothing proven only suggested... probably some truth to it. essentially, he was a very talented writer & businessman. in the singular or collective he represents the epitome of English literature.

RevRick likes this.