1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Final His'n's Purely Mathematical Power Rankings - Week 17

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by His'nBeatYour'n, Dec 29, 2008.

1. His'nBeatYour'n

His'nBeatYour'n Glass Ceiling Repairman

Dec 10, 2007
    New York
    * - Playoff team
    Bold - Power Points
    () - Last Week's rankings

* 1 Tennessee Titans 24.238 (1)
    We've seen far too many #1 seeds choke in the divisional round. I guess it depends on whether they play the Colts, Chargers or god forbid the Ravens. I like the Titans, Jeff Fisher, Kerry Collins, and what they've accomplished this year. But they seem set up for dissapointment in the playoffs. Getting shutout by Indy's backups is not the momentum a team needs heading into the playoffs.
    * 2 New York Giants 23.703 (2)
    The Giants were the scrappy underdog last year. And this year they've looked very comfortable in the role of the favorite. But I think the Eagles easily handle the Vikings on Sunday to set up a game against the Giants. And the Eagles should frighten every playoff team in the NFC this year. They are THE scrappy underdog.
    * 3 Indianapolis Colts 22.775 (5)
    Always fear a team that heads into the playoffs with 9 game winning streak. They've already beaten Baltimore, Pittsburgh, San Diego and now Tennessee (though that was a meaningless matchup) The Colts are the most confident wild card team you've seen in a long time. But they face a Charger team that is playing with house money and some powerful momentum themselves.
    * 4 Pittsburgh Steelers 22.572 (3)
    Roethlisberger better make a healthy recovery. He has two weeks. But no team will have an easy time heading into Pittsburgh in the playoffs.
    * 5 Carolina Panthers 21.163 (4)
    Despite a scary comeback the Panthers locked up the 2-seed against the Saints. If Delhomme can stay consistent through 3 games in the playoffs, they could be holding up the Lombardi trophy.
    * 6 Baltimore Ravens 19.931 (6)
    A scary team for the Dolphins in round 1. But then again, the entire AFC playoff field is very strong. This has been a team that always steps up when the spotlight is on. The question will be whether the rookie Flacco can hold up under playoff pressure. I give the veteran Pennington the clear edge on Sunday.
    7 New England Patriots 18.800 (8)
    Hey these are purely mathematical. The Patriots week 6 loss to the Chargers keeps them out of the playoffs because it was in the AFC. But a tougher schedule than the Dolphins gives them a slight mathematical edge.

18-1, Brady out for up to 2 seasons, 11-5 but no playoff spot. Is there any question about the existence of football gods?

A tough offseason, new questions about Brady, but it is so sweet to see them going home in January with the Dolphins the team to take their place atop the AFC East.

* 8 Atlanta Falcons 18.734 (7)
    The other rookie QB to take his team to the playoffs. A lot of talent. They get the "easy" matchup in playing a rutterless Arizona team. A lot of talent in Atlanta, but does this team have the veteran leader to take them far?
    * 9 Miami Dolphins 17.688 (9)
    The Ravens were the first team to completely shut down the Wild Cat. And the Dolphins have been forced to become a more well rounded team as a result. The Dolphin are 9-1 since their week 7 loss to the Ravens.

How many people, Dolphin fans and non-Dolphin fans, will continue to doubt this team?

The Dolphins are winning games the same way that the Patriots did prior to 2007. Keep em close, and win the 4th quarter. It isn't exciting or flashy but it frustrates opponents and prognasticators alike. Keep doubting these Dolphins, it only makes it more fun for us believers.

* 10 Philadelphia Eagles 17.272 (10)
    This team knows they are playing with house money, McNabb is playing with a chip on his shoulder. There isn't a single team in the NFC that wants to face them.
    * 11 Minnesota Vikings 16.775 (14)
    Take a quick look, all four road teams in next weekend's games outrank their opponents. It could be a long weekend for the hometown fans.
    12 New York Jets 13.519 (13)
    The third AFC East team in the top 12. And the second not to make the playoffs. When the Jets discarded the classy and loyal Pennington for the sexy 39-year old with the strong arm, it angered the football gods. Didn't Phillip Merling prove that to you? I guess there will be no problem with a scheduling conflict at the meadowlands for the Championship games this year?

Breaking News! Mangini Fired. Ha Ha.
    The football gods have been harsh on the Belichick coaching tree this year. He went from Eric Man-Genius to Eric Mang-Idiot to Eric Can-Gini.

13 Dallas Cowboys 13.272 (12)
    America's team? I'm sorry, but America don't choke like that.
    14 Tampa Bay Buccaneers 13.181 (11)
    Another week 17 choking act. Does Gruden rekindle any interest in heading to the to a college team?
    15 Chicago Bears 13.019 (15)
    They got all the help they needed but choked against the Texans. Still had a decent year with Kyle Orton at the helm.
    * 16 Arizona Cardinals 13.016 (16)
    Is there any team you are less excited to watch in the playoffs? They were dominant early in the year, even taking the top spot in these rankings after Week 6. But they finished the season 2-4. They came from a weak division and lost to 4 of the NFC playoff teams Eagles, Giants, Vikings, and Panthers. And now they can complete an 0-5 record by losing to Atlanta on Saturday.
    17 Houston Texans 12.569 (19)
    Another 8-8 season for our nemesis Texans. With Slaton, Schaub, and Johnson healthy for a full year they can do some damage. And we get to face them again next year. Yay!
    * 18 San Diego Chargers 11.269 (21)
    Unlike the Cardinals who backed into the playoffs without momentum, the Chargers won their last four and capped it with a blowout of the Broncos.
    19 New Orleans Saints 11.156 (17)
    16 Yards from another Marino record being broken. The Saints need to stay healthy next year and they could rebound from a dissapointing season.
    20 Washington Redskins 9.666 (18)
    Jim Zorn, the only 1 of 4 rookie head coaches in 2008 not to make the playoffs. We thank you for that 44th pick in the draft for Jason Taylor.
    21 Denver Broncos 8.894 (20)
    Along with the Cowboys and Jets, perhaps the worst collapses down the stretch. Of course Shanahan is safe, and 7 RB's on IR is a legitimate excuse. But after being in 1st place in the west all season, and losing it with a 52-21 drubbing to a division foe is shameful.
    22 San Francisco 49ers 6.847 (23)
    A solid finish for a team that suddenly seems headed on the right track with Singletary. It's a copycat league, so look for more coaches to take off their pants at halftime.
    23 Buffalo Bills 5.875 (22)
    Started 4-0, finished 3-9. I think Jauron should get another year to turn it around.
    24 Green Bay Packers 5.575 (24)
    With Favre likely one and done with the Jets, and missing the playoffs, the Packers hierarchy may make it out of the Favre-Rodgers debate unscathed despite a dissapointing year.
    25 Oakland Raiders 3.631 (27)
    Finished solid with victories over Houston and Tampa Bay. They have talented young players. If Al Davis can find the right puppet to run the team, they could be competive again.
    26 Cincinnati Bengals 3.322 (25)
    Wasn't this the once great AFC contender? They still have the same players, but not the same results. They've reverted to Bungles form.
    27 Jacksonville Jaguars 1.353 (26)
    This team was doomed from the get-go with a rash of injuries. Workman Fred Taylor's quiet career is likely at an end. But with Maurice Jones-Drew and some health this team should rebound in a competitive AFC South next year.
    28 Cleveland Browns 0.494 (28)
    The Belichick coaching tree is going to lose another one here. There will be trouble in Cleveland if they can't bring in Cowher or Schottenheimer. Getting rid of Phil Savage was a foolish move unless they already have a commitment from one of those guys. Savage brought in a lot of talent that Crennel couldn't coach.
    29 Seattle Seahawks 0.128 (29)
    The Holmgren era is over.
    30 Kansas City Chiefs -4.141 (30)
    The Herm era should be over too. But they may have finally found a QB in Tyler Thigpen.
    31 St. Louis Rams -4.497 (31)
    Any team with Stephen Jackson has a shot to turn things around, the offseason question is will they retain Jim Haslett? For the second year in a row the Rams possess the 2nd pick in the draft.
    32 Detroit Lions -8.844 (32)
    The Dolphins came one Greg Camarillo slant pass in overtime from being this team. This season for the Dolphins has been so great because I've actually forgotten how it felt to be as bad as the Lions are now. Does Parcells flee and fulfill his ego by rebuilding another franchise?

Vengeful Odin and Celtkin like this.
  2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    I think the Packers are a bit to low and the Jets a bit to high, but aside from that solid as always.

I disagree about the Eagles though. I dont trust them at all. They can put together a spectacular game like the Cowboys one, then have a crapfest like Cincy. They are way to up and down for me. I wouldnt be shocked to see them thrash Minny or get crushed like the Cards will be. Im not sure they can string together enough good games to reach the SB.

3. Soundwave

Soundwave Phins Sympathizer..

Apr 15, 2008
    Nice work His'n.

I like the Fins chances against the Ratbirds.

Flacco is a rookie quarterback not used to a season going this long, so it should be interesting.