1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Florida Marlins 2011 Thread-Undefeated vs Braves.

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Mainge, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    When it’s said that both parties have agreed on the amount to be paid but dispute only the length of the deal, then no, it’s not poor inference to take away from that the idea that Uggla would have taken $48 million for 5 years.

2. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Show me where that was said.

3. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Hold on. Now I have to rehash the entire history of the negotiations for you?

4. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Lol. Uggla hates Hanley.

SICK, BlameItOnTheHenne and Desides like this.
  5. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Because that was never reported? It was reported they were close on numbers (i.e. 12m per vs. 14m per) but not on years. Common sense. Poor inference.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I had heard/read numerous reports that Uggla wanted 5/71. I can't see how Uggla would want 5/48 instead of 4/48. That just makes no sense at all. He would be taking less money that way and I'd be willing to bet the Marlins would have signed him for that 5/48 because they'd basically be getting him for free for a year, plus he would be easier to trade that way since his salary per year would be lower.

Mainge likes this.
  7. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Talks stalled over the amount of years, not the amount of money.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    He turned down 4/48 for 5/71.

9. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Just think about it for a minute. Why would Uggla reject a 4/48 but say yes to 5/48? He'd be taking less money that way. It doesn't make any sense. And if that's true why wouldn't FL agree to that deal? They'd be paying him less money that way.

Mainge likes this.
  10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Hahahaha your kidding right?!?

Mainge likes this.
  11. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
  12. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    I just wish he had gone somewhere else.

13. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    So the Braves have paid him $71 million? Good for Uggla.

I realize this, but I’m just going on what I’ve read. As for the Marlins, “no old guys” is the rule. Old meaning anyone over 28, apparently.

14. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    No, the Braves did not pay him 71 million over 5 years. No one will. That was his demand.

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    According to Mainge, Uggla wanted $55 million.

So before you guys keep arguing with me over whether or not the dispute was over the length of the contract, get your stories straight as to how much money Uggla asked for.

16. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    What's the attitude for? And at least Mainge had it right and said it was about the money, instead of saying false information and saying it was about the length.

At first, it was 55, or at least it was reported that way. But today it was confirmed that Uggla wanted 71 over 5 years.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/florida_marlins/index.html

Mainge likes this.
  17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Not to pile on to an already bad day but I did a little reading on the Uggla trade this morning, All Star Omar Infante is a free agent at the end of this year and looking at Mike Dunn's numbers he has a little bit of a problem with control and throwing strikes (8.6 BB/9 in the majors, 4.1 in the minors) and scouts believe with the way his FB and slider run into RHH he will probably end up as a strictly LOOGY. So the Marlins basically gave up their 2nd most valueble player position wise for a career ULT bench player who's gone at the end of the year and a LOOGY who can't throw strikes. While I think Florida has a very good front office I have to seriously question how the hell they made this deal.

Also John Buck's contract is 3/18 million and he was worth less than a single win above replacement in 2008 and 2009 combined! 16 of his 20 HRs came at parks favorable to hitters and he's apparently a below average thrower and receiver. Ouch.

18. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Should have traded Uggla for 5 14-year old prospects when he still had trade value...

Desides likes this.
  19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Infante’s deal expires, clearing up money that can be pocketed going into 2012. That’s what made him appealing to the front office. Optimistically, we’d hope that the saved money would go into contracts for Stanton, Morrison, etc. Realistically? Samson is going to renew his Heat courtside season tickets.

As for Dunn, no idea. We needed bullpen help, not generic and ineffective warm bodies. Maybe they think St. Clair can coach him up, but that would be a first for this squad.

Desperation move.

20. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Wouldn't it make more sense to trade Uggla for some prospects then? I mean Infante is gone after the season anyway and most likely will go back to stinking on the bench. That way even if the prospect(s) end up being just as good as Infante they can control that player(s) up to 6 years if they please. Having that player(s) at the MLB minimum salary certainly wouldn't stop them from extended Stanton, LoMo, others etc. I just makes less sense now than it did last night. Certainly they could have gotten a better offfer. Heck even the Blue Jays offer was better because that had contract control on those players, which is very appealing to small market teams.

I just feel badly for Marlin fans. This is crap.

SICK likes this.
  21. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You have to wonder if the Marlins aren’t pulling a Dan Henning here and outthinking themselves. “Uggla’s going to decline soon, so let’s send him to a division rival and watch him implode!” Something along those lines.

Our sphincters have slowly gotten used to the chain rape initiated by Bud Selig.

22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    nolasco and LOMO for Justin Upton? no link, saw it on twitter. its being discussed aparently. id do it in a heart beat.

23. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    That trade would be the complete opposite of the Uggla deal.

SICK likes this.
  24. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I don't know, it wouldn't make any sense if that were the case. Especially since he's only signed for 1 season with the Braves and the Marlins tried to lock him up for 4.

While I'd say there's no chance of that happening, I didn't think Uggla would be that cheap either. I just can't see Arizona wanting Nolasco. LoMo, absolutely, but they would probably want a bunch of young propsects instead of Nolasco.

25. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    If you look at my post, I said he wanted 5/55. Because that's what was being reported. Then it came out that he wanted 5/71 and I edited my post. That's a ridiculous amount of money, and we would be extremely dumb to give him that. Again, it's extremely easy to blame the ownership for everything. They deserve a lot of criticism that they've gotten but it's not warranted this time.

Again, I seriously doubt the Marlins were turning down offers with A+ prospects to go get Omar Infante. That Jays package was garbage, it does not interest me to control garbage for so many years. Dunn has had some control issues but they aren't consistent with his minor league numbers so I think that will improve. His splits are favorable to lefties but his RHB splits are still effective. He'll be given a chance to get both sides out.

I question if we could have gotten anything better. We got terrible offers all last off season as well, while he was a year younger and under control for another year. It makes sense because he's on the wrong side of 30, plays awful defense, and is effectively a 1-year rental with insane contract demands.

:lol :lol:

You're so ridiculously wrong it's not worth it to respond. But I will. 422 minor league innings. 3.36 ERA. 1.3 WHIP. 9.7 K/9

Last year: 19 innings. 1.89 ERA. 1.6 WHIP. 12.7 K/9.

Everything has translated but the walk rate. This is a very good bullpen arm.

Anonymous likes this.
  26. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Nolasco is appealing because of how incredibly dominant he is for half a year.

27. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    :up:

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Let me know when he cleans up his control. Then the stats will mean something to me.

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I agree that I'm sure the Marlins weren't declining big prospects for the Braves package but why the urge to move Uggla so quickly? It just seems like once he rejected the offer the Marlins were hell bent on dealing him for whatever asap. Why not wait a little bit and try to see if they could get a better deal. I'm sure the Braves deal wouldn't have been a take it or leave it so the Marlins could have always gone back to it. I don't know it just seems like they rushed this deal.

30. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I'd rather not bother with the delusional

31. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    Mike Dunn is legit. As noted, his only issue is control. His K rate is excellent and could be a great late-inning LOOGY or potential setup guy if he works out his control problems.

Not saying the Marlins got great value in this trade, but I've seen enough of Dunn to know he's a nice lefty arm.

Mainge likes this.
  32. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    They had an entire off-season to deal Uggla last year but it resulted in decreasing offers. Combine that with poor offers from the All-Star break, and apparently poor offers from the Jays, Cards, Nats, Tigers, Giants, Red Sox, and Orioles this off-season. It's pretty clear what his value was. He's way more valuable to us, which is why we offered him the 3rd richest contract in franchise history. I suppose we could have sat around with with our thumb in our butt, but I'm glad they were proactive and can now move on to other deals (Justin Upton OMG)

33. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    What? The Blue Jays offer was horrible. This was the best deal we could get, plain and simple. At the end of the day, we're a better team, and that's all that matters.

34. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Thank you. I seriously don't understand how the FO is to blame for any of this when 1) Dan Uggla rejected the best offer he will ever get and 2) This was the best package we could get for Uggla. The trade wasn't great, but you don't pin that on the FO. You blame it on Uggla, and his bad trade value because of his ridiculous contract demand, age, and defense.

35. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Btw, get Justin Upton!

The Rev likes this.
  36. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    For a small market team getting 3 players for a combined total of 18 years of control it isn't horrible, especially when you consider Infante is nothing special and is gone at the end of the year and Dunn has control issues and most feel he will end up being a LOOGY are things you need to factor in. But that's neither here nor there I guess.

And I disgaree with the Marlins being a better team that they got rid of Uggla and added Infante (who stinks and has been a career bench player) and Dunn.

37. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    Justin Upton and Mike Stanton in the outfield.

Let that soak in a bit.

The Rev likes this.
  38. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    We could call up garbage similar to the Jays and have the same controlled players.

If we use his money to add a starting pitcher, we will be. Also in 2012 when he's gone and we have Dunn because we didn't let him walk for nothing, we'll be better than we otherwise would have.

39. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Let’s hope. That would be huge.

40. PhinsRDbest

PhinsRDbest Transform and Transcend

Jan 5, 2010
    the next dimension
    Is giving up Morrison or Dominguez worth Upton?