1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Future Miami Marlins 2008 Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Desides, Mar 31, 2008.

1. Mainge

Mainge Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    This is what I tend to believe as well but it just doesn't make sense.

Why not wait until the Peavy is dealt and negotiate with the teams who missed out?

Why not wait until the winter meetings?

This franchise is so perplexing.

:pity:

2. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    And what's worse, they made the cardinal sin of trading within the division, where Willingham and Olsen can come back not just once a year, but multiple times a year to bite them in the azz.

What are the Marlins thinking ? Bonifacio is nothing. Low batting average in the minors. And on top they get a garbage level pitcher, and another infielder that are both considered at least 1, if not 2 seasons away, if ever, from worthy of a major league roster spot.

9 INF ??? Why ??? This was pure and simple a salary dump. Thanks Loria.

Then you see Oakland make a smart move, in which they are going to either get a boatload by the trading deadline for Holliday, or get 2 1st picks as compensation if he leaves via FA. Brilliant on their part. This just isn't the way to run a franchise, when you are always looking more at the bottom line, than you are at winning.

3. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    He is, no doubt, the worst owner in sports. He hates his fanbase, because he does whatever he can, to destroy it.

SICK likes this.
  4. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I have been telling folks for MONTHS, that I never expect the Marlins to pay one cent of that new Ramirez contract. There is a reason it doesn't kick in until this next season. They never intended to pay any of it, and they can get rid of him this off-season, and the team that gets him, doesn't have to worry about negotiating a new contract for years & years......sweet deal for them.

We'll be trading Uggla next for Mr. Met and a box of Cracker Jacks......UGH ! :pity:

5. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Holy crap ! That is not good news.....ACL & MCL ? Geeesh.....damaged goods (Willingham) for damaged goods (Smolinksi). I hope he can return to form, but I am not looking at this as a trade for the future, but what it really is, a salary dump.

My worst fears are becoming true, that now we are in the position, unlike a couple of years ago of having real major league talent to trade (Llowell, Lee, etc) and get decent prospects back, we are now trading mediocre talent, and getting less in return. Also Beinfest is a notoriously poor drafter (Hermida, Allison, Dominguez) it spells a lot of trouble for the future, and maybe getting used to being a lot like the Pittsburgh Pirates.....lots of last place finishes. :pity:

6. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    with wins/losses and attendance.......:pity:

7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Deal! Mr Met will make for an awesome floaty during those mega-rainstorms you guys get there so he has value. The box of cracker jacks is what I would be most upset to see go; theyre my favorite food! :cry:

PMZQ likes this.
  8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    PMQZ I disagree about trading within the divison. If you can get the most value with trading to a divison rival, especially if your team won't be contending for awhile, there's no reason why you should do those types of trades.

9. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I agree on the surface, but let's keep in mind we aren't privy to everything that goes on. Would you be surprised if it came out later that Willingham will miss the first 6-8 weeks because of injury rehab?

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Sources: Fish trade Gregg to cubs!!!

ESPN - Sources: Florida Marlins trade reliever Kevin Gregg to Chicago Cubs

thankgod.....

11. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    He only blew nine games? Feels like 90. I like Gregg, but it was time for a change of scenery.

What's the scouting report on Ceda?

12. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The mini-fire sale continues.

Are the Marlins going to spend any of this money they're saving? Or is it all just helping to subsidize their stadium?

13. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    SICK likes this.
  14. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    It absolutely would not. In fact I'm beginning to think his back is a huge concern.

15. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I'm pretty sure it'll go towards paying arbitration.

Cubs #3 prospect:

Love this deal. Way better than the Nats' one

Frumundah Finnatic, SICK and Desides like this.
  16. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    It'll be interesting to see how Lindstrom and Ceda can handle this division on their own.

17. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Good move by the Marlins. Ceda was pretty good once they moved him into the pen. According to the Cubs they needed Gregg because they can't resign Kerry Wood.

18. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007

Really? Looks like we got a good deal for Gregg. :up:

Mainge likes this.
  19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    And I'm still surprised by it. Well, whatever, there's a reason the Cubs never make the World Series. :lol:

SICK likes this.
  20. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    A little thread necromancy for your Sunday afternoon.

Players' union files grievance against the Marlins for not giving per diems during home spring training games.

Hanley won the Silver Slugger Award. :knucks:

According to the Sun-Sentinel, Beinfest is trying to make the Marlins more closely resemble the Rays. He's looking for pitching, speed, and defense. I think we have the pitching set, honestly; speed will come with guys like Maybin and Hanley; and defense needs to be coached.

Lastly, Henry Owens (remember him?) has been suspended for 50 games due to testing positive for a banned substance.

21. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    sweet not a bad deal then.

22. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Really odd that they added these guy over a Chris Mobley, Jacob Marceaux, or a Jeffrey Allison whom I believe are all eligible for the Rule 5 Draft.

23. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    BP Subscription piece about our top prospects.

SICK and Desides like this.
  24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Looks like we're keeping the core players and building around that. Not a bad strategy.

(Wow, who'd have thought Wes Helms would qualify as a core anything?)

25. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Some more headlines.

PBP: Marlins don't expect to make big deals at winter meetings

This is probably good. At this point, a "big deal" would involve Hanley and/or Uggla. I'm still amazed that we haven't done something with Jeremy K. Hermida yet. But speaking of Mr. K. Hermida...

MLB.com: Marlins to seek out backup catcher

Noteworthy for two reasons: one, apparently John Baker is going to stick around for a little while longer as the every day catcher; and two, there "is a lot of speculation that Hermida could be traded." The substance of this speculation isn't clarified, though. It could be chatter among baseball writers or there could be something of substance to it: we just don't know. What could we get for Mr. K. Hermida on the open market, anyway?

Lastly, the Marlins have not extended arbitration to any of the team's free agents. Nothing odd or unexpected here.

26. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Per Rotoworld:

he Miami Herald adds the Rangers and Mariners to the list of teams to which the Marlins are shopping Jeremy Hermida.
    We're starting to get the sense that another bad Marlins trade is a real possibility here. The team is already talking about having Hermida change positions and move to left field if they keep him, a sign that he's not in any long-term plans.
    Source: Miami Herald

PMZQ and Desides like this.
  27. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    "Another bad trade?" I don't know, the Marlins usually get the good end of deals. Not always, but usually.

Interesting that Jeremy K. Hermida is being shopped. Not surprising either, since he was the player of interest in the Manny Ramirez trade.

28. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ya I kind of did a double take at that as well Desides. For all the money the Marlins dont put in to their player payroll it seems like a lot of it sure goes in to scouting and player development. I mean you guys are like the farm team for the rest of baseball when the Marlins decide to cut payroll.

29. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I'd bet almost most of it goes right back into the owner's pockets. But yes the Marlins do do an excellent job scouting and in the player development department.

30. Get Up And Go

Get Up And Go New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    The Fish will start paying players once they finally move in to a new stadium. That lease is a blood sucker.

PMZQ likes this.
  31. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Well I don't care for Hermida but to give him up for next to nothing will not make me, or many of the few remaining Marlins fans very happy :angry: :tantrum: :cry:

32. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Well they didn't do too well with Hermida who was the 11th pick in the 2002 draft. Taken just a few spots later, was Cole Hammels, the MVP of the World Series. Think of how good the Marlins would have been had they taken Hammels instead of Hermida. We would have won the East last year going away. :pity:

33. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Hopefully it will happen, but I am not convinced this ownership will ever open up the wallets to pay for players, because they have had some success doing it the cheap way.

34. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Eh you can't kill them for that. Baseball is the hardest sport to predict future talent. It's not like they passed up BJ Upton for Bryan Bullington like Pittsburgh did. Or every MLB team passing up on Albert Pujols or Jake Peavy for 15 rounds or so. It's a crap shoot and although Hermida didn't pan out it was a good pick at the time, because every team can look back at a player they could have picked but didn't.

35. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    I know, I know :wink2:.....but young hitting is always harder to predict than young pitching, especially when it comes to the Marlins. They seem to be able to see pitchers easier than hitters, just look at their history. Allison and Valdes are their biggest pitching busts, while nearly all of their "position" players they have taken in the 1st round have ended up busts (of some sort).

36. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    Without going into great detail, high school hitting is twice as easy to project than high school pitching.

37. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    What a joke. Yes he pitched over his head and likely will regress but when Wes Helms is making $1m a year and we cant give our best reliever $150,000 more, something is wrong.

38. Mainge

Mar 23, 2008
    West Palm Beach
    I could definitly get behind this. Max has a career line of .314/.414/.521 in the minors.

39. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i heard about a trade for hermida for saltatimachia from tx.....any more news on it?

40. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC