1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The GML Press (Kiper & Kiper, Canglazer & McShay) at the 2013 Draft

Discussion in 'Draft' started by schisno, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Jason La Canglazer @glazedonut

Hearing the Raiders are trying to trade back and net a 2nd round pick out of the deal. Who wants a tackle?

2. schisno

schisno Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper:

#2 Overall - New England selects WR Tavon Austin, West Virginia

I'll ask you folks this, would you take Percy Harvin with the second overall pick if he were to come out this year? Would you take a lesser version physically this early? Typically my answer would be no, but seeing as this draft is deep with solid talent but no clear cut talent that you can nail down as top ten it changes my answer slightly. For years the Patriots have thrived with Wes Welker causing mismatches with slower linebackers in the slot and I believe the reasoning for this is that they still want that component to their offense. Though, now they have someone who offers the ability to create more wrinkles in the offensive game plan than Welker could. My only problem with this is that the Patriots should have traded down for better value, but I know how tough that is especially this year.

Overall this helps the team on offense and should take some focus off Gronkowski, expect another receiver with their next pick.

Peter Kiper Grade: B-

3. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper @kingkiper
    Raiders are drafting a lineman. I heard they are getting ready to flip the coin between Floyd and Joeckel. #LaneJohnsonisaRaider

4. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Dion Jordan to the Raiders at 3. It does fill a need. They have a glut of names at DE opposite Houston. Khalif Barnes is back at RT for another year. Raiders were in a tough spot. Grade B-. Jordan has tools but has been oft injured. Taking him at 3 overall is a risk. Good news for the Raiders GM is that he can now go back to sleep until the 68th pick.

5. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper:

#3 Overall Oakland Raiders select Dion Jordan, Oregon

In a passing league you have to do two things, have corners that can play the pass... The second you have to be able to get to the quarterback and the Raiders add a much needed pass rusher with the selection of Dion Jordan which hinders the Lions as I know for a fact Dion was going to Detroit with one of the next two picks. In the black hole that is Oakland this makes a lot of sense because Jared Valdheer is becoming a very solid left tackle so taking one of the big three was not a pressing need. However they still haven't brought back Richard Seymour and could have used Sharrif Floyd as insurance if he doesn't come back. I have Floyd and Jordan ranked as my 2a and 2b of the top defensive lineman. However Dion Jordan needs to add weight and the Raiders have to keep adding more pieces to that defense.

Peter Kiper grade: B+

Hopefully the Lions make a rare appearance and draft the hell out of three of the next four picks.

6. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

The Lions have three of the next four picks, would be stunned if they don't take a quarterback with one of them. Miami is sitting at 6 hoping their guy slides to them. Actually, I'm told the Dolphins are flabbergasted that Austin is off the board. I'm not going to predict actual names now, as we're getting into an area of emotional excitement. But I reckon two offensive players and a defensive front seven guy BPA makes the most sense.

7. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Joekel to the Lions. Interesting. They have Reiff and Backus (or did he retire?). Makes some sense. The value is there. I would give this an A-. Even though I like the other two tackles better.

8. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Lions have reported their bulletin picks to the commissioner... Which is a bit of a conflict of interest here with the Phins GM owning the sixth pick. He knows who the Lions are taking. #conflictofinterst

Boik14 likes this.
  9. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    @glazedonut Backus retired. Wanna bet its Patterson for Miami? Hmmmm #RumormillSpittingRumors

10. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Appears that it didn't make much of a difference because their top two choices fell to them.

11. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Geno Smith is the 5th pick and the Dolphins are on the clock. Not a surprise that a quarterback is selected here. But is Smith worthy of being the 1st qb taken overall? Grade C. product of a gimmick offense. He doesn't go thru progressions. And will be rather upset to find out Calvin Johnson is not on the team anymore. who knew Tavon Austin would be selected before Smith? some of us did.

12. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Boik14@Incarcerated_Boik Who says Geno Smith is the best QB in this draft? Not I. 2nd best maybe.... #Barkley'sABaller

13. VanDolPhan

VanDolPhan Club member Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    @glazedonut via @GMVanDolPhan Tannehill comes out this year...likely first QB taken. Pathetic year for QB's. #2013QBDraftUglyAsWilfork'swife.

Paul 13 and Boik14 like this.
  14. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Hearing the Rams offered Bradford to Detroit but they went for Geno Smith instead.

15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Dolphins take the best defensive linemen in the draft in Floyd at 6. Grade A. I believe the Phins had traded Soliai. So they had a need at the position. Jared Odrick is butt hurt.

16. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Spring, TX
    Eh, Odrick will still get lots of run. No reason to be butt hurt.

Unless we wind up taking another DT. :shifty:

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Will the Lions selection at 7 be posted shortly? I kind of expect them to go defense here although I bet they won't.

18. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper:

The Lions select OT Luke Joeckel, Texas A&M 4th Overall and QB Geno Smith, West Virginia 5th Overall.

Once again I am the smartest Kiper brother and GML Journalist by predicting that Geno Smith would be a Lion and that Tavon Austin would go before his teammate. Originally I had the Lions going with Eric Fisher because the Raiders would take Joeckel but it seems the teams decided to swap a couple of prospects. The Raiders took Dion Jordan who would have went to the Lions but have the highest rated left tackle on the board. They bring in a their next Joey Harrington-esque franchise quarterback. I'm not as down on Smith as a lot of others are but I did prefer two other quarterbacks ahead of Smith.

As for Joeckel is was a no brainer to bring in one of the big three, but if the Lions had played their cards right they would have had Luke Joeckel followed by Sharrif Floyd and then left the Dolphins unsure of what to do next because there was no way they would draft Geno Smith or be able to draft back. Misplayed on the parts of the Lion, so I will give Detroit an average grade for a missed opportunity.

Peter Kiper's Grade: B

19. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper @kingkiper
    @glazedonut, you ready for the second receiver to come off the board? #MotownwelcomesPatterson.

20. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper:

Miami Dolphins select DT Sharrif Floyd, Florida 6th Overall

Floyd could have gone anywhere in the top 3 originally and with a stroke of luck the Dolphins have one of the top players in the draft fall to them. This is a miracle of sorts as the Lions could have had Floyd and picked up Geno Smith after the Dolphins would have taken a certain Star of Utah. They get a monster of a player to fill the middle and has a ton of talent. You can talk about pad level all you want but that can be coached. What can't be coached is his pedigree and coming out of Florida to Miami, plus his story of redemption that is currently tugging at the heart strings of the media.

In terms of talent and fit, this is a Pouncey-esque pick for the defensive line.

Peter Kiper Grade: A

Stitches likes this.
  21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Boik14@Incarcerated_Boik Nicely done Detroit! Ballsy to take a RG so early but wow if Warmack isnt an elite prospect, maybe the only one in this draft.

22. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    @GMVanDolPhan @Boik14 Detroit seriously upgraded what was a pretty underwhelming OL.

Boik14 likes this.
  23. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Randy Kiper: Dion Jordan is off the board and it was a little surprising the Raiders couldn't get a deal done before their time was up. I heard they were contemplating a low-ball offer from an unnamed general manager but ultimately decided to select their man in Dion Jordan. Jordan is an explosive athlete that the Raiders love, granted he doesn't run a 4.3 but he's still very special. He has the speed and burst to be a top edge rusher in the NFL and can cover a lot of ground quickly. Jordan may need to bulk up his frame a little bit but if the Raiders run the 3-4 defense, then it won't be quite as important. With the Raiders looking to make a last second effort to bring Richard Seymour back to the 415, you can expect an improved Raiders defense in 2013.

Kiper Grade: B+

24. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Randy Kiper: I'm pretty sure the Lions GM pulled a hamstring sprinting to hand in this draft selection to the commissioner. You better believe that the pain is worth it because the Lions got themselves the best offensive tackle in this year's draft. Luke Joeckel needs to work on his strength but outside of that, he is as elite as it gets. I don't think many expected Joeckel to make it past the third overall draft selection because someone would have traded up for him. Luke Joeckel in Detroit means Riley Reiff can move over to right tackle, where I think he is better suited anyway. There are a lot of high round picks on the Detroit offensive line now: three first round draft selections, one second round draft selection, and one forth round draft selection. Very impressive and kudos to the Lions general manager to getting his guy without having to trade up.

Kiper Grade: A

25. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Randy Kiper: You can say the Lions got the best quarterback in the draft but that isn't saying much... the quarterbacks aren't very special this year and it's ironic considering there were fans who wanted to "Blow for Barkley" during the 2011-2012 season. Nevertheless, the Lions probably could have gotten away with getting a quarterback near the end of the first round and select a much better player here. Investing in the defensive line would have been a much better choice in my mind but that's why I'm sitting here in front a television screen, I guess. Geno Smith is exactly what you're looking for when you talk about the flavor of the month and we'll see if the option-read quarterbacks continue to thrive in today's NFL. However for now, I think it's safe to say that Smith is a guy you should have been looking for later in the draft.

Kiper Grade: B-

26. VanDolPhan

Nov 26, 2007
    Hamilton, Ontario Canada
    Also the fan base that wanted to Suck for Luck. Says a lot about the sexuality of a fan base that wants to suck and blow.

27. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Randy Kiper: The Miami Dolphins were patient and it paid off. Now when you think about it the very first trade they made this season essentially was giving up Paul Soliai to trade up for Sharrif Floyd and move up a few slots in the third round. Not a bad trade at all in my mind. Sharrif Floyd is quite possibly the best player in the draft this year and for Miami to snag him at #6 was robbing the NFL blind. I think you can easily suggest Miami has top five depth at the defensive tackle position with Randy Starks and Sharrif Floyd looking to be the team's starters and Jared Odrick, Kheeston Randall, and Billy Winn looking to offer some snaps as well. The Dolphins generally look outside of the big three Florida schools for their draft prospects but the past few years they have been singing a new tune. Mike Pouncey, Olivier Vernon, Lamar Miller... lots of Florida boys on the roster this time around. I think this one will pay off big time.

Kiper Grade: A

28. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Randy Kiper: The Detroit Lions had three of the first seven draft selections and I hear the Lions general manager is simply ecstatic that he was able to land not one, not two, but all three of his top choices with those three draft selections. Chance Warmack will instantly start in Motown and you better believe that the Lions are a much better team today than they were a day ago. Rob Sims performed fairly well at the left guard position in 2012 so it will be very interesting to see if they'll move him over to the right side or plug Warmack in as the team's right guard. I think it'd be a questionable move for the Lions to select a right guard this high but you know what? It's very possible that Warmack would have been selected by the Bengals had they pass so I'm not going to complain about that. The Lions did well on this pick and it's certainly not a grand slam draft for Detroit thus far but you can definitely say they have a very high batting average right now.

Kiper Grade: B+

29. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    Isnt there some kind of journalistic ethics that would prevent this analysis?

Vengeful Odin and Paul 13 like this.
  30. Mach

Mach Cap Dude

Apr 20, 2009
    415 is SF, Oakland is 510

31. GridIronKing34

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Re: The GML Press (Kiper & Kiper, Canglazer & McShay) at the 2013 Draft

Consider it a compliment then.

Boik14 likes this.
  32. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Chiefs trade up and take the highest rated offensive player I had on my dart board. Eric Fisher. Grade A+ Fisher's stock has risen since a majestic senior bowl. He's a solid top five pick next month. Now the Ravens. Quoth the Raven never more.

Tractor Traylor likes this.
  33. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Ravens have a bunch of picks in this draft and a bunch of wholes to fill. This GM has made some questionable moves. But with a solid draft, those questions can be erased.

34. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper:

Detroit Lions select OG Chance Warmack, Alabama 7th Overall

Color me a little surprise with this pick, but it seems the Lions want to make sure that Geno Smith is protected and has time to develop. Warmack will eventually find his way to the left side of the line, but for now comes in as a rookie starter at Right Guard. I think this is a good move, notice I didn't say great because there were other pressing concerns as they had already solidified the left side of the line with the Joeckel selection. Still I don't have a real problem with the pick as Warmack is a top ten prospect who just happens to be playing a position that isn't drafted high but gets paid a ton once their rookie contract is up (See Levitre). Lions potentially have a top five offensive line.

Peter Kiper Grade: A

Kansas City Chiefs select OT Eric Fisher, Central Michigan 8th Overall

The surprised keep coming in as the Bengals swap picks with the Chiefs. If you saw my mock I had them taking OT Lane Johnson but since Joeckel went later I suspected that Eric Fisher comes off the board and I was correct on the assumption but didn't expect the Chiefs to jump in. I guess they weren't happy with not having a true left tackle on the roster. Fisher is close to Joeckel in terms of being the top tackle in the draft and it's been debated on who has the higher ceiling. Fisher is more athletic than Joeckel and didn't have the talent that the Aggie had playing for Central Michigan. When Fisher did play top tier talent he was flawless. The right move for the Chiefs and it just happens to be the second year in a row this particular GM grabbed the best tackle on the board, but don't expect him to take a running back with his next pick.

Peter Kiper Grade: A+

35. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper @kingkiper
    @glazedonut I hope he fills the holes on his roster instead. Still believe it's going to be Star. #Lotulelei@9

36. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

So the Ravens take the best WR in the draft. I like the player, but I think they had other much more pressing needs. Since that factors into the grade, I have to say B-.

37. schisno

Jan 3, 2008
    Peter Kiper:

Baltimore Ravens select WR Cordarrelle Patterson 9th Overall

I expected Patterson to go in the next few picks but Baltimore decides to send a message to the Browns and remind Cleveland just how vanilla their offense will be. It's debatable if he is the best receiver in the draft. Quite frankly you don't put the words raw and best together. I can't say it's early if I had the Browns taking him with their pick, but I know how valued these skills players are in the league. Patterson isn't necessarily the best receiver in the draft but he will be on the Ravens because Holmes is only a number two at best, Jones is a slot receiver who may have overcome his problems with drops. Ted Ginn is not a starting receiver. So the position is considered a must, just not the right player.

Peter Kiper Grade: B-

38. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Looking at #10 here and the ****... (yeah, short for Titans ladies) are on the clock. If there's a need here it's on the defensive front. It just so happens pretty good value on the board at that position right now.

39. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

back from my dinner buffet at Lone Stars Steakhouse and BBQ Grill Lounge Company. So the Texans move up and get the last franchise left tackle left in Lane Johnson. Solid... Grade A+. Worth the fifth rounder to just assure yourself of getting your guy. And the Titans come back and get their Star LotuleiwhathappenedtoLennaykekua. Nice move. BPA. A. As long as the heart holds up. Right where the Titans needed to go. Heart of the defense. :shifty:

sports24/7 likes this.
  40. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007

Browns are on the clock and looking to trade down. But the big names are gone... or are they? Browns barely miss out on Lane Johnson. Could really go in any # of directions if they don't trade down.