1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Greatest Media Center Ever

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by mor911, May 15, 2009.

1. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Just wanted to pay homage to the greatest media center ever. The original Xbox. For those who don't know, the original Xbox could easily be hacked with Splinter Cell and a memory card. The simple exploit (called a soft mod) allowed hacker types to run home brewed applications.

In the years to follow an application called [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XBMC"]XBMC [/ame](Xbox Media Center) was developed. This application was way ahead of it's time. Delivering streaming youtube vids and trailers from apple, this thing did it all. It ran any video file you can imagine.

Also allowing build in launchers for emulators and full games, the original Xbox runs PS1 games flawlessly (ok almost). Most of the media features found in the 360 and PS3 today has been done on XBMC for years, and it's done MUCH better.

Last year I took a trip to Nicaragua for Christmas. I ended up giving away my beloved Xbox. I have sorely missed it since then. Today that all changes. I have arranged to buy a working Xbox via Craigslist. I will be hacking the hell out of it and making my media center that much more awesome again.

dolfan32323, anlgp and DaFish like this.
  2. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I agree Mor. I was heartbroken when the power supply went bad on my old Xbox. I still have the Samsung drive and executer chip. I think I will be searching for a new console on craigslist as well.

It was great to be able to play anything from Atari to the original PSX on one console. Add in the ability to stream Shoutcast radio, movies(almost any format), Youtube, mp3s, and much more straight to the console. I heart my old Xbox. I just wish it had a digital video output.

3. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    They've ported XBMC to the Windows, *Nix, and OSX now. So you can setup a pretty lightweight htpc and run XBMC with it. This allows you to do something the RegXbox cannot do, playback HD content with all the bells and whistles. I loved XBMC on my modded Xbox as well, but the CPUs limitations with the HD content just cripples it too much at this point in time.

There should be a new T3CH release floating around now as they just release "Babylon" on the 6th. I haven't looked around for it, because I'm trying to move on from the RegXbox.

4. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I saw the Windows release... I'm scared it'll draw me from my Rexbox.

anlgp likes this.
  5. DaFish

DaFish Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    I do have it installed on my desktop and I do have DVI out but I can't move that into the living room.

I wish I could but the wife would kill me.

6. #1 fan

#1 fan Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2007
    miami
    i still use xmbc all the time (with the ps3 for blu-ray or hd content). didn't realize it would play ps1 games, i'll have too look into that. i'd kill if it played dreamcast though.