1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Heisman Trophy and Reggie Bush

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by gafinfan, Sep 8, 2010.

1. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20100907/Heisman-Bush/

And the other side of that same coin.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-general/20100907/Russakoff-NCAA-Hypocritical/

My personal feeling are that Bush did nothing wrong that helped his "on the field" production thus the Trust has not one leg to stand on! They are the one's who need to be questioned concerning their integrity. Bush is nothing more than a product of the society he came from which BTW includes this group of men.

2. gamblerx

gamblerx New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Homestead, FL
    It won't matter to Reggie Bush. He gots a Super Bowl ring.

Tone_E and SICK like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My feeling is that there are certain requirements to be eligible for the award. If Bush wasn't eligible then he should be stripped of the award.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  4. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    What are they going to do? come knocking on his door? If I was Bush, Id hang on to it. Him accepting money, or gifts or whatever it was (Im not saying that it was the right thing to do) but it did not affect his on the field achievment. If I'm Reggie, I feel that I won the Heisman fair and square.

gafinfan likes this.
  5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    trophy sold on ebay in 3...2...1.....

Skeet84 likes this.
  6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    AFAIK they don't repossess the trophy. They just remove his name from their official list. It's pretty much the same thing that's happening at USC. The games he played in won't count in the official records b/c he was found not to have been eligible to play in those games.

7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    He should absolutely be stripped of the award if he was deemed ineligible for those games. Sure the gifts/money didn't affect his on field performance, but since he violated rules he should never have been allowed to play in the first place, thereby nullifying any stats he may have produced. Can't win or even deserve the heisman if you have no stats from any games.

Skeet84 likes this.
  8. CrunchTime

CrunchTime Administrator Retired Administrator

Nov 23, 2007
    Actually he may achieve more notoriety with the asterisk or the missing year in the Heisman award roll call.He would share that honor with the second world war.:wink2:

Skeet84 and gafinfan like this.
  9. gafinfan

Let me ask you a serious question. The NCAA has already cut off their pound of flesh and the School and its present players are paying the freight on this so just where should it end and how many more people should be raked over the coals to satisfy the witch hunters?

How many more souls do we offer up to the Gods of "Holy Amature" sports? Just look to the Olympic games to see the hypocrisy of it all.

The day these governing bodies quit making their ton of money by freezing out these young people from enjoying even the smallest of joys I will then change my mind but at present its nothing more than the pot calling the kettle black!

10. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    his family lived rent-free in a nice house in malibu. thats smallest of joys? he knew the rules. he broke em. he should be stripped of the trophy.

You rob a house, steal a tv, ps3, and a bunch of jewelry. you get caught.....arrested.....busted....whatever....you dont get to keep the ****!

Stitches and Skeet84 like this.
  11. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    Witch hunters is a bad analogy there. Bush did what he did, of that there is no dispute.

I've yet to find any proof of anyone being a witch. Hence why witch hunts carry that stigma. That stigma does not belong here as there is no mythical events or people in question.

Bush did it.

There is hypocrisy on both sides. The school uses the athlete and we can get into the way in which black athletes are in many way removed from the normal campus life through their race, or simply the number of other members of their race on campus with them.

Athletes also abuse the system and wind up with some hardly earned degrees in large part to things like the 'Paterno c' which if anyone was curious covered about 25 points of an exam or quiz. Easy to stay eligible at that rate.

Too big a topic to delve into truly.

Skeet84 and gafinfan like this.
  12. gafinfan

You maybe right "Witch Hunt" might just be to strong a term and of course Reggie did what he did. I'm not arguing that point and of course there is hypocrisy on both sides but at the very least the student athlete is not carrying the "Holier than thou" banner along with the rest of his/her baggage. I find it also telling that the most abusers that are found out are in the most lucrative college sport both for the college and the NCAA. One wonders if, say Womens BasketBall, is completely clean or is it just not worth the effort to dig out the wrong doers?

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Even if the last part were true, players know the rules when they sign on the dotted line. Bush broke the rules. Period. He should not be given one of the sports highest honors when he was not eligible for it.

SICK likes this.
  14. gafinfan

So he did, you are perfectly right. Now having said that is Bush being punished in any meaningful way?

Hinesight is a wonderful thing, is it not. Yet what about those students today at USC who are the ones paying for Reggie's mistake. Do they not deserve some consideration? They too signed on the dotted line and placed their faith and fate in the very same hands, I hear no outcry in their defense. Its just, oh well, thats part of the game.

15. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No they don't in this instance. The Heisman trophy is a prestigious INDIVIDUAL award. This has nothing to do with current players.

It's not like if Bush gets stripped of the Heisman that USC players will no longer be eligible.

16. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Reports are breaking: Reggie Bush has agreed to give up the 2005 Heisman award

http://www.neworleanssaints.com/new...n-Trophy/1d0320bb-b094-4310-9c76-4461f11f46db

17. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Awesome. Give it to Vince Young who was actually on the field when the game was on the line for his team.

18. Topdawg13

Topdawg13 New Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indiana
    -Link-