The Henne-delphia Experiment

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by The_Dark_Knight, Aug 15, 2011.

Had Henne been drafted by a strong quarterback developing team, his level of play

Poll closed Aug 22, 2011.
  1. Would be better

45 vote(s)
    75.0%
  2. Would be about the same

14 vote(s)
    23.3%
  3. Would be worse

1 vote(s)
    1.7%
  1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure what you mean by unafraid of the QB position. They haven't really devoted many more resources than we have to the position. It just happens they hit one of their draft picks, and our best FA signing couldn't stay healthy.

2. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Well for one they haven't been afraid to use a first round pick on a QB within the past decade. I don't think Miami is afraid of the QB position but they clearly don't put the right value in it. This somehow has crossed multiple regimes. When was the last time Miami went after a QB in the first round? I wouldn't be surprised if they've went longer than most or maybe all of the other franchises. I guess it's just been a decade plus bout of bad luck, the right guy never comes along at the right time....

3. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    You're kidding, right? You two get your feelings hurt and I'm the one setting you up or manipulating statements? Here's the facts...

-Transitioning from a quarterback in the NCAA to a quarterback in the NFL is a monumental challenge
    -Coaching is crucial in a young NFL quarterback's transition between the two
    -The results of this poll clearly indicate had Henne received better coaching, his level of play would be better
    -In many threads, there are derogatory comments posted about Henne ie; "Henne sucks", etc...

You guys can call it however you want. Had we drafted Ryan Mallet, Matt Ryan, Colt McCoy or any other promising quarterback from the NCAA and his performance wouldn't be any better than Henne's. We don't have a QB coach worth a crap and haven't for some time. The thing that pisses me off to no end is the misdirection of everyone's anger at Henne's performance. I was one of the FEW last year pissed off at....not Henne, but Henning for the crappy play calling that set Henne up for failure while so many others were blasting Chad Henne instead of where the anger needed to be directed.

Give Chad some good coaching, some good direction and good motivation and he'll shine. Call for his head on a platter and in comes Matt Moore, sure the motivation for him to have a shot at winning the starting position might motivate him to play well for that game, but let him be named the starter and receive the same coaching that Henne's received, you're going to end up with the same result...CRAP!

Oh an no Adam...chances are, I've been a die hard Dolphins fan since before you were born. Hell, my man cave is painted aqua, coral and white with a Championship Banner of the perfect season hanging on the wall.

Now, if your feelings got hurt, my apologies. It wasn't my intent. The intent was to demonstrate our quarterback problems run far deeper than Chad Henne's performance on the field...and the result of this poll, at least in my opinion, proves it.

4. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

There is a faction of fans, that no matter how Henne does this year, will not support him. These are the same fans or the 'Henne sucks' fans that abound, right or wrong on this and all the other forums...in fact, this one is quite tame to several others...

There is a faction of fans, that feel that Henne is salvageable and that his issues are more directed towards the talent around him and the coaching he's received thus far in his career to demonstrate the reasons for his poor play. I'm in this group.

The difference between Philly the last 9 yrs or so and the Fins is about 5 regimes. The difference between NE and Miami is again, about the very same 5 coaching regimes. Even the SD Chargers and GB can boast about the same difference. I'm not saying that Henne would be Tom Brady today if BB and Pioli had been here, but the scheme and talent around him would have been much more conducive to his strengths and less to his weaknesses than they have been for the kid.

Scheme is one aspect. There is a lot to be said for the scheme that his rarely talked about. The WCO is a QB friendly system that gives the QB quickly developing reads and shorter passes to move the ball. The QB still has to perform. Tom Brady may not have been the same guy we see today elsewhere, but he'd have been a good QB nonetheless (whew, that was hard to say as a Fins fan)... Henne started his tenure in a scheme that was intended for Pennington. There is no denying that. Henne and Sparano worked feverishly at putting the square peg (Henne) in that round hole (Henning). It didn't work. During the following offseason, did they revamp and change the scheme to be more in Henne's mold...no. They insisted on keeping the same system with Henning calling the same plays he had for years...it just didn't fit and stunted Henne's growth as a QB. Because of the lack of success, the kid lost his confidence. That can be difficult to overcome (think Harrington, Carr, George, etc).

One other aspect that largely goes unaccounted for is the talent around the QB. Can anyone say that Philly, NE, SD, NO, etc OL and WR talent is anywhere near where ours is now and has been for several years ?? And Philly has had a revolving door front 5 just as we have... We don't and haven't had the combination of WRs on this roster that any of those teams have, regarding talent. While Marshall, Bess and Hartline are very good receivers, they don't complement each other very well. they are all very similar WRs and there is none there to stretch the field. Our TEs haven't come close to matching the talent level at/with those other teams....Fasano can't remind anyone of Antonio Gates, does he ?? You can argue specific positional players, obviously Long over most of the other LTs, but the overall talent level with this regime does not compare in any way shape or form.

The bottom line, whether or not Henne could have been successful will be almost impossible to predict because now public opinions have him pegged as a loser and not capable. And players like Brady, Rivers, Brees, Vick, McNabb, etc weren't subjected to the same poor coaching, poor surrounding talent and poor scheme that Henne has known since he's been here.

So, Dark Knight, the answer is 'maybe' he'd be better...we just don't know. It's the chicken/egg conundrum, does the QB make the team or the team make the QB and none of us can argue that point with anything other than speculation...

5. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    What I mean is that GB had a QB of the future that they had invested substantial time in, yet still took two in the 2008 draft because of the value of the position. Now one of the two looks like he will fetch a valuable assett in the next year or so. That's what good organizations do. Develop assetts that either pay off for you or sell to somebody else.

6. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    Henning's scheme was not designed for Pennington. It was the same scheme Jake Delhomme and countless other QB's had run.

Pennington was not on anybody's radar when this regime was hired. The battle for the starting QB position in 2008, to run Henning's offense, was a battle of the titans between Henne and Josh McCown.

There is nothing about fitting square pegs into round holes. Pennington took a team featuring Ted Ginn and Greg Camarillo as his starting wideouts to the playoffs. He didn;t make mistakes. He knew when to pull the trigger on a deep pass.

The handcuffs were put on Henne because they didn't trust him to not make the huge mistake. And he repayed them by continuing to make the huge mistake even in the "safer" offense they called.

The_Dark_Knight likes this.
  7. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Exactly...it was COACHING that led to his dismal performances. Had they (Henning) not handcuffed him, and let him make the mistakes that say...Peyton Manning made his rookie season, he might have been able to overcome them by experiencing them and his production on the field might have actually increased. Everyone remembers Manning's rookie season don't they? The first half of the season he was tossing interceptions left and right, throwing incompletions left and right, but by the second half of the season, he earned himself a trip to Hawaii as a Pro Bowler.

Now am I saying Henne could have done THAT? No, but the only way you learn from mistakes is to be permitted to make mistakes, but all our coaching staff did was keep letting Henne play the same short passing game that he had been playing, throwing the ball more than running it (with two all pro running backs in the back field mind you)...defenses picked up on our offense so quick, it was like a scene out of "Waterboy", Jerry Reed reading "Football for Dummies"...defenses knew what we were going to do and were able to pick him off left and right or deflect passes left and right. Henne was toast!

This is why I'm really hopeful this season with a new OC and a new QB coach he'll be able to step up and have the year that I'm sure many of us are sure he can...and are hopeful he will!! :up:

8. schmolioot

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    They let him make mistakes. In 2009 there was never any talk of benching him or being dissatisfied.

In 2010, when the mistakes continued, things changed. And I really don't know if he was handcuffed or not. The fact is he hasn't played well consistently in the two years he's been starting.

9. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    you are right that henning didnt design the offense for Penny, but wrong that the coaching wasnt an issue IMO. Henning had a system and believed you can fit the qb into it rather than molding your system around the strengths of the qb while eliminating high risk plays. He designed game plans and called plays based on his system and beliefs and charts, not on what was needed AND what the qb was able to do comfortably. Penny wasa vet that had already weathered the bumps and bruises so to speak in hennings offense with the jets in the Parcells days. That is also why Penny was able to grasp it so fast, not that him being super smart didnt help, but he already knew it.

Not saying the concersn for Henne arent true and correct. It is just that in my opinion there are so many grey areas I just dont see how there is any certainty either way.

The_Dark_Knight likes this.