1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Hobbit: Released Today

Discussion in 'TV, Music and Movies' started by finsincebirth, Dec 14, 2012.

1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So as the title suggest, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey was released in theaters today. It has received mostly mixed reviews garnering approximately 68% on Rotten Tomatoes. One of the many complaints is that the pace of the story tends to be a bit slow. I saw the midnight showing in 3D at the standard 24 fps so I thought I'd offer my thoughts for you all.

Who will like this movie
    The people who will really enjoy this movie are those who love Middle Earth. This movie is more than just the first half of the hobbit novel as it does include back story and other aspects of Middle Earth lore to give the viewer an in depth look at the world. If you were never really a Middle Earth fan but enjoyed LOTR then you may not like this film. It is considerably different from LOTR, and it also has a more light/humorous element to it.

Pace
    Does the movie take a bit of time to get going? Yes, but then so did the book. It has been a long time since I read the book, but it seemed like Jackson was able to include almost everything in this film.With LOTR the theatrical release was missing parts because of time constraints. Essentially this is the extended addition.

Overall I enjoyed this movie..

SICK likes this.
  2. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ugh. Screw Peter Jackson and screw The Hobbit.

Winter is coming.

fins4o8 likes this.
  3. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Hey man, it was fun playing COD with ya last night. When you said you were getting off to watch the hobbit I was jealous.

Glad you enjoyed it, cant wait to see it!

4. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    What makes you feel that way?

5. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Thanks, you too. The only downside was I got home at 3:30 last night so I'm exhausted at work.

SICK likes this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    First of all, I find Peter Jackson to be the most infuriating director. The man has never met a scene he wanted to end. It drives me insane watching his movies when every scene goes on and on and on.....

Secondly, I know Tolkien started it all, but he also does the thing I hate most about fantasy stuff....spends a long time painting his characters into a corner, then like Harry Potter's JK Rowlings, invents something on the spot to get them out of it. He spends the majority of three books building up to two events, and what should be the biggest deal, the war, is over in 3 seconds because...surprise ghost army and the other is throwing a ring into fire. Then the whole character of Gandalf...sigh. That's the other thing I can't stand about most fantasy, there's always a Gandalf. Wise and mysterious with implied powers & knowledge but nothing to actually make a difference in their journey expect the "oh yeah he almost forgot, hey just admit you're king and you get a whole surprise ghost army!"

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    nice oversimplification. and it's fantasy, why wouldn't you expect a Gandalf type character in every story?
    difference is Tolkien did a much better job than all the others that followed.

8. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I wasn't boiling all of Tolkien's work down to those things, I was saying those are the parts of his work I can't stand. I also didn't say I didn't expect Gandalf type characters, I said I don't like them.

I disagree, Martin's Game of Thrones, is not only better than the Hobbit stuff, but it beat it up at a bar, took its wallet and car, drove to its house, banged its wife, and then wore its favorite robe and waited for it to get home so it could point and laugh at it.

9. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    2:50...that is a huge amount of time to spend in a movie theater.

Loved the LoTR and will eventually go see the Hobbit but my goodness is Jackson verbose.

10. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I could completely understand that point of view. I've been reading The Wheel of Time, and I'm afraid that the same thing will happen. 12 novels building up the final battle and its over in 2 chapters.

11. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    It didn't feel that long to me.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I watched the LoTR at a pizza and brewing place that runs second runs of the film.

Add some tastee microbrew and king kong wings and it does not feel that long either..:lol:

13. I would love that here. It would make for a better cinematic experience

14. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    It was amazing.

15. I thought I read that they are breaking the book up into 3 movies is this true if so where do they stop the first movie?

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, what they are doing is using some of the mentions and expanding on them.

The appendices (which are awesome reading at the of The Return of the King) and alluding to kicking Sauron out of Dol Guldor.

Most don't realize that the Dwarves had 7 rings of power and Thorin's father was the last one.

My issue with that is not the material it is Jackson's adoration for CGI'ing battle scenes.

shula_guy likes this.
  17. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    The movie ends right after the party is rescued by the eagles and they are dropped off. They can see the lonely mountain in the distance but it still looks pretty far. I think I read one review that said the ending puts them around the end of chapter 7. Padre is right they are including the appendices in the movies to give the audience a lot of the back story to Sauron. The necromancer is referenced in the first movie as well as the Wraith King reawakening (I don't think that's a spoiler). I have a feeling that the third movie will be mostly about what happens between The Hobbit and Fellowship.

Did any of you guys see it in 48fps? My roommate didn't want to so I got stuck at the standard frame rate. I'm curious how the faster frame rate looked.

Also this song gives me chills.

[video=youtube;gjASGHl4Q-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjASGHl4Q-k[/video]

shula_guy likes this.
  18. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    saw it last night. really enjoyed it. golem wasgreat in his scene. i was a little worried from the previews that they were making the dwarves too human looking, but it turned out well

19. seabass0795

seabass0795 New Member

Feb 26, 2012
    Orlando
    Saw the midnight premiere and man was it empty here in Mexico. Anyway, I really enjoyed the film and this coming from someone who before that has never read nor seen LotR. Gollum was amazing, and Andy deserves so many awards for that part. The frames per second made the movie feel more lifelike and I really enjoyed that. What I did not like is how it ends without much of an ending. It is a to be continued scenario where I must wait a year to see the next part and I might forget important parts of this movie by then.

It did however get me to pull a marathon and watch all three LotR movies in one day (Saturday)

Ohio Fanatic likes this.
  20. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    I watched the HFR 3D with my girl & it was pretty good. I had to explain a lot of things since she didn't understand it & never even heard of the original Hobbit cartoon. It sure did start of really slow but action was good. Only thing I didn't like was the ending or lack of an ending (just hate having to wait for one). Oh yeah, Gollum was very good. Speaking of Gandalf, he never really shows his powers but I guess he would be OP if he did.