1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The importance of Preseason games

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by LikeUntoGod, Aug 18, 2008.

1. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    For years now we have been debating the need or/and importance of Preseason games.

Some see them as a waste of time and money and a meaningless game where a important player can be hurt.

I see them as the best way to make sure that the first "real" games are not sloppy. They are the best way to mesh rookies and new free agents and even new coaches into the team. This goes double when you have all new coaches and a new offense and defense. And lastly something that since the death of NFL Europe has gotten more important. And that is having a idea of what those fringe players can do. The undrafted free agents and 6th-7th round draft picks.

I looked into this last year and I found that the owners and coaches want to go from 53 to at least 55 and to enlarge the practice squad. Oddly enough the people in the way are the Players Union. They feel like the fewer players on a team the more money each one will make. And when a GM is trying to decide on releasing a older player for a untested young player who has promise he will tend to go with the older player. And the older player will make more money. Even to get to the practice squad a player has to clear waviers which means a young player can be picked up by someone else.

I think most Dolphin fans would agree that we really need every preseason game we can get this year. With rookies and new free agents everywhere learning a new offense and defense not having these four games could cost us 2-3 games during the start of the season.

Now granted last year's preseason was wasted by Cam Cameron. He only played two rookies, he did not play a number of veterans and we looked and played like crap. Look how he did not use Beck at all until mid season.

This year's use of preseason is just one of the 352 reasons that our new GM/Coaches are better. Henne is getting ready to start if called open playing most of the minutes. Look at our OL where we are starting 2 rookies, a 2nd year player and a free agent and how they have improved from the first game. Look at our defensive players who have to adjust to a 3-4 with a couple of important new rookies and a number of free agents moving into starting roles.

I hope that most Dolphin fans can agree that this preseason is needed and is important.

Loyal Fin likes this.
  2. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    Thanks for the write-up. I'm excited about this preseason because it feels like a brand new team. A clean slate, if you will. A journey we can watch from the beginning.

3. like2god

like2god Typical white person Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    CNY
    I agree that preseason is important to building chemistry and getting players ready to play, but I don't think the outcome of these games means much of anything. This is the time that coaches use to evaluate talent and decide on who is going to stay and who isn't, wins and losses are meaningless IMO.

54Fins and Loyal Fin like this.
  4. Loyal Fin

Loyal Fin Business as usual

Mar 22, 2008
    South Florida
    I agree. Another positive about preseason is helping rookies out with technique and avoiding mistakes. For example, (in the Jags game) Jake Long whiffed a block and the defense ran right by him to tackle the RB in the backfield. Had this been a regular season game, the mistake would have been COSTLY. But since it's an exhibition game, you correct him and hopefully he learns from the mistake/experience.

5. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I think last years cupcake camp and preseason proved all we need to know about how important preseason is. I agree somewhat that preseason wins and loses are not that important but they are also a means to tweak the offenses and defenses and fine tune the finished product. The only true way to accomplish this is by trying to win the preseason games both with the offense and defense. It would seem the only way to go into the first game of the season with the right attitude and perspective is to try to win in preseason, whether it is with starters or the backups.
    I cringed last year when I learned Cameron wasn't taking the preseason games serious, resting veterans, and even surrendering his HC position for one game.