1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Infield

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by GARDENHEAD, Aug 16, 2010.

Tags:
  1. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Do we know what year the Marlins are leaving Joe Robbie Stadium*?

*Yes, I know thats not its name, but it is to me.

Themole likes this.
  2. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Next year is the last I believe.

DolfanJake and TiP54 like this.
  3. GARDENHEAD

GARDENHEAD Season Ticket Holder Club Member

May 7, 2008
    New Orleans
    Thanks

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's Logan Morrison, Hanley, Uggla, and Gabby Sanchez

SICK likes this.
  5. yousamook

yousamook New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Hia-****in-Leah

In 2012 the New Marlin stadium is ready. Thank God! that new stadium is not going to get sold out either way but as long as they are gone from the our stadium that is all that really matters.

6. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
    Not soon enough....:up:

7. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    The Fins could've installed fieldTurf at any time over the last 15 years but chose not to do so. The fact that the infield is there is just as much a 'Fins problem as a Marlins one.

High Definition and DolfanJake like this.
  8. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    Isn't there pending litigation by the Vikings against FieldTurf? And more than a few articles to back it up suggesting that stastically speaking there is a higher ratio of injuries on field turf versus regular? My memory might be off though.

I'd take the muddy infield though for 1-2 games a season, over dealing with 8 games, and practices/warmups with increased chance of injury.

Ozzy and jetssuck like this.
  9. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

As a Florida homer, I would usually defend the Marlins. However, 0-3 against the Reds, trading Jorge, and the last few years of selling players makes me not care much. Flame on.

10. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Bad thing is that we will have to play two of our biggest home games on that crap.

Wk 3 New Jersey Jest
    Wk 4 New England Patriots

Both on National TV also

11. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    As long as the marlins have been here that field should have long ago become a home field advantage. Mare should have never missed that kick

DolfanJake and SICK like this.
  12. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Why doesn't Ross just open his wallet and cover the dirt part of the infield with artificial turf???? It's his stadium. I think the Marlins could live without dirt around the bags for a month or two...it's not going to get the Marlins to the playoffs no matter what they do to the field.

``You do hate to see them having to play in that kind of mud,'' stadium owner Steven Ross told The Miami Herald on Saturday. :pity:

13. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    dunno why everyone flames THE MARLINS?

-the marlins pay rent

-the marlins give the owners of the stadium (dolphins owners) concession %

-joe robbie built this stadium for a baseball team

-the marlins have been here since 1993 (thats 17 years) get over it....marino played 6 years of his career on the clay, we did fine then.

-shouldnt it be an advantage by now?

-the only team that matters in miami (the dolphins) havent been in a superbowl since the early 80s......the marlins got 2 fat rings for being world champs since 97

I dunno why everyone always hates the marlins for the field? Their lease with the stadium ran out....and guess who re-upped it? the dolphins. You know how much money the dolphins make on the marlins % from gates, concession, Saturday night concerts, ticket sales (joke in 3 2 1) etc...? And guess where that money goes......into the pockets of dolphins high priced free agents

Now iam not saying marshall/dansby etc wouldnt be here without the marlins....just sayin it doesnt hurt. We are one of 2 teams in the entire NFL that has this field. Its not for many games....and like i said instead of us complaining about it the last 17 years...why not use it for an advantage...infact was the field an issue in the 90s when we had a good football team and didnt need a bull**** excuse?

1993.......9-7

1994.......10-6

1995.......9-7

1996.......8-8

1997.......9-7

1998.......10-6

1999.......9-7

2000.......11-5

2001........11-5

etc etc etc etc

come on guys......get off the marlins ***...they will be gone in 2012, then you guys will have to think of something else to complain about....

14. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Pfft. F the Marlins.

cnc66, Tin Indian, Themole and 3 others like this.
  15. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    they cant hear you with 2 championship rings in their ears :lol:

16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    They move out after next season.

17. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007

I think I just fell in love. No homo :up:

I would also like to add that if it weren't for the Dolphin's owners receiving most of the profits that the Marlins do see, they could arguably field a better team. People always talk about how they have one of the smallest payroll, well when almost 90% of your profit goes to somebody else, it's hard to make money.

18. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Mike Dee (CEO) was interviewed during the post game show, and he said that the team will try to remove the infield for those two games, said thar nothing like that ever been done before, but they will try.

19. yousamook

yousamook New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Hia-****in-Leah
    To bad the Dolphins Training Camp for the public gets more full then a Marlins Baseball Game. Seems like no one really cares about the Marlins unless they are in the world series which is when everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I really do not care much for the Marlins.

20. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    top 5 in television ratings disagrees with that assesment. you wanna drive 50 minutes on a sunday at 1pm in august to see a baseball team play? no.

you wanna drive 1 hour one way on a thursday night for a game that potentially could get rained out? no.

they get a roof, people will go.

people care.....

21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    The only reason people even bother is because Olindo Mare shanked kicks off the stuff. I doubt it's occurred to them that Mare just wasn't a very reliable kicker...

Go Fish.

DolfanJake, Coral Reefer and SICK like this.
  22. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    funny thing is the opposing teams kicker who didnt kick on that stuff 8 games a season was putting it right down the middle........weird :shifty:

DolfanJake, Coral Reefer and Desides like this.
  23. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Yes stadium opens April 2012, unless we have a hurricane that messes that up, but next year should be the last year the Dolphins are affected (if there is a next season).

Here is a webcam of the new stadium and its progress.....

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/fla/ballpark/webcam.jsp

SICK likes this.
  24. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    I disagree, the Marlins have already sold over 12,000 season ticket packages for 2012. That is more than the Mets had sold for their new stadium with the same time left.

SICK and Desides like this.
  25. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

This :up:

26. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Trading Jorge Cantu ? Are you kidding ? He had an awful June & July (batting .233) and had a league leading 13 errors at 3rd base. Had Coghlin not gotten hurt he would have been at 3rd with Morrison in left. Team batting average and fielding % would have increased.

As for "selling players" when was the last time that was done ? 2007 ? Do you realize the Marlins revenue situation ? Their onerous "rent" situation at their present stadium ? (the worst stadium in deal in MLB by far). The fact that they don't make a dime off of parking for the games, and that all that revenue goes to Ross who owns the stadium ?

Please, know a little more about their situation, before you pipe-up and spout off.

RickyBobby and SICK like this.
  27. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Oh did you miss the fact too that the Marlins, since the announcement of the new stadium deal, have signed Ramirez & Johnson to long term deals, and are in negotiations with Uggla for a 3 or 4 year deal ?

No just ignore the facts and put them down.

The Marlins are the ultimate sports underdog, and have won more than our beloved Dolphins in the last 18 years. That is a fact.

Desides, SICK and MikeHoncho like this.
  28. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Wrong, Jets game will be the only one affected. The Marlins will not make the playoffs, so the Patriots game will be on full turf.

steveincolorado and SICK like this.
  29. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Sick, after this post, I have a man-crush on you :lol:.

Best post ever on this board in relation to the Marlins. :up:

MikeHoncho and SICK like this.
  30. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    (sarcasm) Oh no, someone actually talking truth about the Marlins.(sarcasm off)

You and SICK are my new heroes. Screw these people that resent the Marlins. Most of them have never lived here and rooted for the Marlins. Carpet Bagger Dolphins Fans. GTFOH we who live here and love the teams from So Fla fart in your general direction !!! :tongue2:

31. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    typical....just typical. Tell the truth, you are one of those typical Yankee or Mets fans.

The problem the Marlins have, as well as the Rays, D'Backs and Rockies have had as well in sustaining local support, is the fact that the internet and satellite TV have changed everything.

It used to be that unless you lived in a city you never saw a game unless it was a Saturday game on NBC Game of the Week. Now with the internet and MLB.TV and also MLB Extra Innings on DirecTV, you can live in Miami and still watch every single Yankees game, or Mets game, or Phillies game, etc. That has made it infinately more difficult to attract people who have rooted for other teams all of their life. Even getting their children to root for the new teams has become a challenge. It was assumed that once a new franchise was placed in a city, a 2nd and then 3rd generation would automatically become fans of the new team. Now that is not as easy because of the availability of seeing their father's beloved Yankees every night, they also become Yankee fans and stay that way now all of their life.

Also in Miami, as anyone who follows the Dolphins and has been to games at Sun Life knows, the stadium is 30 miles from most of the population. It is very remote, and almost impossible to get to for a 7pm 1st pitch, if you work a regular 9 to 5 job. The Marlins do have the 11th best TV ratings and also very strong radio ratings as well. Also attendance on Saturday nights is usually more reflective of the real interest in the Marlins. People are interested and do follow the Marlins but a number of factors are always against the Marlins. Many of those will be aliviated by the new stadium and then if the attendance doesn't turn around you can make fun of them. But I will remind you that before the new stadiums in Cleveland, they averaged about 15,000 a game in 1992-93-94. And in San Francisco before their new stadium they averaged 17,000 in 1995 & 1996 and that was even after Barry Bonds had been installed as a free agent. And in Pittsburgh, even with a new stadium (one in which many experts think is the nicest of the new stadiums) they have averaged only 19,000 in the last 3 years.

The Marlins last year averaged 18,075 and this year are averaging about the same. This is with a team that has a 29-30 home record so far this season. We also had no Yankees or Red Sox this year to boost our inter-league attendance either. We have to have a series every year with the Rays (who also have low attendance) because MLB forces us too.

Its a perception thing as well. When you play in a stadium that is the largest in baseball and only fill 18,000 of 70,000 seats it looks empty. When the D'Backs have 18,000 in a stadium that holds only 42,000 the place looks half full. Its an unfair comparison. People know this, but it feeds their egos for their own teams to just put the Marlins down.

I think its because a lot of these people are really afraid that with the new stadium, the attendance will increase, the Marlins will have a real home field advantage and the Marlins will finally become a lot like the Minnesota Twins. A team that will dominate, with a smart front office, and with extra revenue and be a contender almost every year.

Lets be honest, the Marlins have won more games than the NY Mets in the last 10 years, and have a WS ring which the Mets don't, and have considerably more disadvantages. People should LOVE the Marlins as they are the ultimate underdog, yet it seems they take every potshot they can at them, and I have never understood that. Most people want to root for the underdog.

Desides, SICK and MikeHoncho like this.
  32. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    [​IMG]

DolfanJake likes this.
  33. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

By that logic then, the Los Angeles Dodgers shouldn't be at the top of the league in fan attendance. Especially when you consider where Chavez Ravine is placed and how there is essentially one way in and out of that place. Yet, there they are.

And you guys are defending the Marlins on a Dolphins boards. Tough road to sow there. The bottom line is that the field looks disgusting when the infield is there.

There is a reason players have voted our field and Oakland's as one of the worst to play on in the league. I really don't care about the Marlins outside of watching players like Greg Camarillo transitioning from the grass to the sloppy mud and almost having his leg go out from under him. It increases chances of injury.

And again, it looks hideous. I don't give a crap how much money goes back to the Phins because of the leasing agreement. I will be happy when they have their own stadium with their own baseball amenities and Joe Robbie can go back to being a football only stadium. :hi5:

yousamook and Rocky Raccoon like this.
  34. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    How come other teams come in here and still play well despite the infield dirt? Other team's kickers dont seem to have a problem kicking on it as well. I wont miss the Marlins much when they leave(not a big baseball fan) but you can't blame the Dolphins' woes on the presence of a baseball team in the same stadium. The Raiders went to the Superbowl a few years ago despite having the A's playing in their stadium.

35. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Has anyone blamed the infield for the Dolphins not winning? I don't think that's the case.

Sam perfectly described my feelings on the infield. I hate it because A. It can cause injuries and B. It looks like crap.

Stitches likes this.
  36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The Marlins may be a fine example of a baseball team, but the truth is they are in a declining sport. About 10-12 years ago the debate was whether football or baseball was the #1 sport in the country. That debate has been settled. Now the debate is whether basketball or baseball are #2 (assuming you don't count college football, which trumps both). My guess is that within 10 years baseball will have unquestionably fallen behind basketball as well.

yousamook likes this.
  37. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    turf CAN cause injuries also, grass can as well......

DolfanJake likes this.
  38. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    As for the infield, I thought it was embarrassing for the organization. Mud games are fun if you're playing a pick-up game but professional football doesn't look like that anymore.

lohink likes this.
  39. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Did you also miss the fact that there are almost 20 million people in the Dodgers area, as opposed to 5 million in the Marlins area. Hmmm, 4 times the population to draw from.

Not also to mention the fact that they have been in LA since 1958, when they didn't have other media to have to contend with. That is a point that I believe is more relevant than many other factors. Its almost impossible to take fans away from their old teams now. And almost impossible for teams to make their children root for a new team either. In the 1960's all those already established Angelinos became Dodger fans because that was the only way they saw baseball on a regular basis. If you know about So Fla, you will know that most of the folks that lived here in the 1960's and 1970's are either (1) dead or (2) live elsewhere. The mass exit of folks from here since the 1970's has been bigger than any other city. They were replaced by populations mostly from Caribbean countries that have little or no interest in Miami teams. That is why the Hurricanes have had such a drastic drop in attendance. A lot of their old fan base simply does not live here anymore. Then there is access via the internet & TV for media covering teams from other parts of the country. That access has been good and bad for sports and I think is a factor that has been overlooked when many people start to analyze this subject.

40. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Fine, I agree, but why are people boo-hoo bi*ching about it. It will all be taken care of in two years. Man up and just accept it as fact, get over it and lets move on ! :tantrum: