1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Job No One Want: Dolphins GM

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Bpk, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Looking for opinions.

Why do you think no one wants the Dolphins GM job?

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Our front office is royally screwed, our owner is either lucky to be a billionaire or senile.

The sad part is we are CLOSE on the field. That is why it kills me

Rocky Raccoon and DPlus47 like this.
  3. heylookatme

heylookatme Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2012
    The two candidates out there I would be most interested in, Mark Dominik and Brian Xanders, are the two guys we're not interested in?

What in the world is going on in Davie?

ASOT likes this.
  4. Not So Fast

Not So Fast Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Lake Worth, FL
    Dysfunction from top to bottom

PhinGeneral likes this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I was so wrong about the Jeff Ireland / Stephen Ross dynamic...

Many times over the past 3 years I have stated that I believed Jeff Ireland was the Wormtongue to Stephen Ross's Theoden. And that once rid of Ireland, Ross would rise to glory and restore our Dolphins to their former glory.

But I was wrong. Very wrong.

Jeff Ireland was merely the Darth Vader to Stephen Ross's Emperor Palpatine.

Don't get me wrong on this - Stephen Ross is no evil genius Sith Warlord mastermind. He's an absolute dummy of epic proportions. But he's the source of the problem. His ineptitude allowed Ireland to remain with this team for as long as he did, and his ineptitude will prevent this team from hiring a capable replacement. This team has failure at the top of the food chain. In short, the Miami Dolphins are ****ed.

ASOT, DPlus47 and NaboCane like this.
  6. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    It's the media. They're blowing this out of proportion. Everyone wants to be here. Ross is great. No one is turning down more money and a promotion.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

7. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    Just let Joe Philbin be the GM if you love the guy so much. Seriously...no one else is saying yes. Give Gaine a promotion to VP and let Philbin have final say.

Then when Ross realizes what an idiot Philbin is we can go ahead and just fire him and everyone...start over in 2015.

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Our only chance is that Gaine gets the job and does extremely well. I don't think he will be a failure if giventhe chance but I ccan't say I'm confident he will shine.

9. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    Obviously forcing a lame duck head coach and capologist/VP of football operations onto the GM with each having an equal amount of power. It was reported as soon as the job became available that it would be sought after. But after seeing how the power structure would be, the candidates probably thought it was in their best interest to hold out and wait for a better opportunity.

gunn34, cdz12250 and Bpk like this.
  10. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    **** it... I'll do it. Second thing I've accepted to do that nobody else wants to in the last 36 hours.

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  11. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    just when you think it can't get any worse...dolphins.

ASOT and Vinny Fins like this.
  12. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Not many will want to go somewhere and be handcuffed. The Dolphins are close to making the Marlins look good.

cdz12250 likes this.
  13. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    Lake Dawson won kenobi, you're our only hope!

14. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I think Stephen Ross needs to realize you can't force people to have a threesome. Maynard, correct me if I'm wrong there. But, I think at some point Ross needs to realize that trying to add a 3rd party, from out side the Dolphins, to Joe Philbin and Dawn Aponte simply isn't an appealing position. He SHOULD have cleaned house (for the 2nd time now) already, but both times he's waffled. Count your losses. Promote Gaine. Press the detonate button in 2015 if you can't crack the playoffs? .500? .500 in the AFC East?

There's a lot morally wrong with what I just typed.

15. Sumlit

Sumlit Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Miami
    That's a bad analogy and frankly an insult to both Darth Vader and Emperor Palpatine. I'd still stick with the Wormtongue and Theoden one, but instead of decrepit Theoden turning into Heroic King Theoden, decrepit Theoden this time turned into Smeagol.

jegol71 and NaboCane like this.
  16. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Just because he is a billionaire doesn't mean he has the skills to be an owner of a NFL football team.

Da 'Fins likes this.
  17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Being an owner of an NFL team just means you hire good football people usually. There is no huge mystery og how to structure a front office.

You'd think he would know how to interview people and set up a front office. Almost anyone with an average to above average IQ could.

18. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    He has not done a good job as an owner.

19. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    ASOT and Bpk like this.
  20. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

You know...Im almost beginning to wonder if Carl Peterson has engineered this mess...so Ross will end up handing him the keys hes said to have been coveting all along.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

ASOT, RevRick and Da 'Fins like this.
  21. Lee2000

Lee2000 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Pearl, Mississippi
    It is hard to argue against the notion that the league may be sending a message to Mr. Ross. As far as Aponte is concerned, Ross set the whole thing up, but you have to believe the rest of the league paid attention to her behavior in combination with Philbin. Now I don't think many folks thought Ireland was all that. But I do believe they watched the events develop and wanted no part of it. It is simply hard to believe they didn't notice.

cdz12250 likes this.
  22. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The only thing that is left that could truly be the reason to make these candidates decline is the power trip displayed and what it represents by Aponte in the hard knocks scene, that type of power trip is the only legitimate reason I can see why aspiring GMs would turn us down..

I mean Put yourselves in their shoes, that's not about staying under the cap, that's about circumventing the real power the GM has..

It's a pretty damning situation and could very well be the main topic of discussion and dissension.

23. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Exactly. It's so infuriating.

24. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Close to what??.. Making the playoffs, cause I don't think we're close at all to being a championship contender.

25. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The jump between those things is basically Tannehill progressing and fixing out line.

26. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    just give the job to gaine. this entire search has been ridiculous. **** everyone. How much frustration and embarrassment would have been saved if we had done that in the first place.

27. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I wouldn't be surprised if he declined and chose to remain in his current capacity for the time being.

ASOT likes this.
  28. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ireland is gone and the whining continues. Now it's Philbin who sucks and Ross who's an idiot.

Whaaaaaaat a surprise.

PhinishLine likes this.
  29. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    How much frustration and embarrassment would have been saved if we had fired everyone.

ASOT likes this.
  30. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    I really don't know why no one wants the Job. I mean there is absolutely ZERO pressure. Look how long ireland lasted...

Bpk likes this.
  31. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Totally agree ..... Ross has wanted into this group for many years and worth billions. Give the man some time, he'll get it right.

32. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    No NO see you forgot a letter in the title

It's not GM - it's GMC

which stands for : Get Me Coffee

Bpk likes this.
  33. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    Personally I have felt all along that Ross is one of the worst owners in the history of the NFL. I think Philbin is a very mediocre NFL head coach, but that doesn't change the fact that Ireland was in over his head as an NFL GM.

In fact I don't ever see Ireland becoming the GM of another NFL team. No other owner would be dumb enough to hire someone who proved over six years that he was inept in his ability to draft top tier football talent.

My expectations are that the Dolphins will finish last in the AFC East next year and hopefully Ross will finally decide to sell the team. As long as Ross remains the owner of the Dolphins and the front office and coaching staff remains as it is, I don't see this organization being anything but what it has been since Ross became the majority owner. That being a mediocre franchise which has no answers when it comes to turning this team into a consistent playoff team.

ASOT likes this.
  34. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    I agree promote gaine but **** 2015 give him 1 year.If we don't make the playoffs next year blow the whole thing up and fire everybody so we can finally make this job more attractive.
    Ross is the dumbest owner in this entire league.First the celebrity bull****,then the harbaugh situation before firing tony and of course holding on to jeff Ireland 2 years to long.This brings us to the present which needs no explanation.

ASOT likes this.
  35. ASUFinFan

ASUFinFan Uh huh

Dec 8, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Sadly, somewhere Ireland just made himself a drink and is getting a nice little laugh out of all this.

36. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    A stupid owner. Period.

37. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    No the real solution is to get rid of Ross. He needs to sell.

As long as he is the owner, even cleaning house won't do it, because I can't trust him to hire the people to fix it even if its a clean house.

This franchise is ****ed as long as Ross is in the picture.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I know everyone wants to call me a homer, but I'm really not. If you were to ask my friends and family if I was an optimist they'd aggressively laugh in your face for saying something so outlandish.

I used to defend giving Ireland enough time because I feel like his first 3 years were tainted with Parcells. We simply do not know what moves were his and we know for a fact he had to draft for the outdated Parcells system of football. Plus he had a horrible coach in Sparano. I said Ireland didn't deliver the playoffs this year he should be fired. Then we found out Phhilbin wanted Cogs and Martin gone before the season started. (I think that was the main reason for all the shifting in camp, btw. They were trying to find the best 5 linemen we had available outside of Martin and Cogs, because if anyone had proven themselves one or both would have probably began the season on the bench.) I think considering the oline play + the scandal + the negative press + how every year one unit seems to be criminally under filled (WR year before, Oline this year, etc.) + missing the playoffs then that's certainly reason enough to fire Ireland, without the need to use the compromised data from the Parcells years. <-------That's not me being a homer or overly positive. I recognize there are problems with the team from a talent level and the person in charge of the talent must change to fix those problems.
    I was (and am) a huge Philbin fan. Having said that, he let me down 3 times this year (Tampa, 2nd Bills & 2nd Jets). Not just because we lost those games but because we came out flat in each of them. Those were the only 3 games we appeared flat as a team and they were in many ways the most important. I also think that Philbin has some sort of blindspot with Sherman. <-------That's not me being a homer or overly positive. I recognize there are problems with the team from a coaching level and the person in charge of coaching must fix those problems.

I have said all that to reinforce that I'm not being a homer with what I'm about to say.....

This is a largely media driven problem. This is all perception and not reality. Simply put the front office structure is NOT different than a lot of teams (see: Pittsburgh for example). Dawn Aponte is not the capologist. She is the Vice President of Football Operations and she does nothing more or less than any other Vice President of Football Operations. Also, the Vice President of Football Operations does not answer to the GM. On many teams the Head Coach is not fired and hired by the GM with impunity. They generally have to get permission from the Owner or Czar (or comparable position). These are simply facts guys. I'm not making any of this up, you can look it up to see what I mean. This is not homerism, its just fact.

Since our structure is normal, then the differences come down to Dawn Aponte's gender and the local media's desire to payback the organization for its media policies. See the team, according to some local media members, is notoriously anti media....they are late to media appointments or don't show up. They don't give the media the access it desires. The media, being the protection racket it is, makes the team pay every chance they get, this has also been confirmed by members of the local media. The local media has created a narrative that the structure is messed up even though the facts state they are not all that different from many other teams. Aponte being a woman helps sell that narrative. Pro sports are one of the last of the male dominated industries, so any woman that has climbed the ladder is going to be looked at as an ambitious harpy. Because of that, and the constant insistence that Aponte is just the capologist, then the narrative of the hit job is not a hard sell. Candidates have not really turned us down because of the structure. Only really Farmer has hinted at that, but the conjecture is because he doesn't want to work with a woman. Licht turned us down because he was guaranteed the job with Tampa and we wouldn't guarantee he'd get the job here because we had other candidates we wanted to check out. Gamble & Decosta have turned down everyone, that's not a reflection on us.

Yes, there's guys we each wanted in the position, but there's been lies on top of lies form the media during this whole process. Think about it. Gamble was the favorite, but he never even interviewed. Oh just kidding says the media, Farmer was the favorite, but, but, but, Licht was offered the job to keep from going to Tampa, but, but, but wait he wasn't offered the job. Sigh.

In the end, we have a situation where our power structure that is fairly common in the NFL except that our VP of Football Operations is a woman, the GM position we're offering has the power and responsibilities that most GM positions have. We also have an openly hostile local media that wants to hurt the team because the team doesn't make their job easy.

I know this will somehow make me a homer in many eyes, but the facts are the facts.

PhinishLine likes this.
  39. ASOT

ASOT New Member

Mar 29, 2013
    Coral Gables, FL
    You couldn't be more wrong in your comparison. The problem with the Marlins is not with picking talent, their problem is an owner who is completely focused on grinding out as much money as he can from a system that allows him to do it.

Ross is just an incompetent fool, who happens to be a billionaire and owner of an NFL franchise. Lucky us :tantrum:

40. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

Wow, still swinging as you sink like a rock on this one, bravo.

pumpdogs and ASOT like this.