1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Kiper Brothers Return for Round Three

Discussion in '2011 GM League Forum' started by GridIronKing34, Mar 31, 2011.

1. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Peter Kiper: I will never forgive Steve Young for that, it's an absurd thing to do at a draft party. Mormon or not.

Randy Kiper: One of my buddies spat in the Mormon bible once while drunk... I can only imagine how Steve would react to that.

Peter Kiper: No worse than how he reacted when he got drafted by Tampa Bay. Though I'm sure Brandon Harris has a much better reaction to landing in Miami.

Randy Kiper: Well I mean, Miami is definitely one of the hotter spot to be in Florida and the NFL in general. You got girls, the beach, girls along with the beach, and those two icons by the name of Dwyane Wade and LeBron James... does it get any better?

Peter Kiper: It will once Miami can string a few playoff appearances together. Hopefully Harris can help with that, they needed to help offset the change in the defensive backfield, but the question remains. Is Brandon Harris a part of the top tier of corners, or is that a two player class?

Randy Kiper: You know I think it's a two player class, you have Patrick Peterson and Prince Amakamura in tier one then it drops to Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith, and Aaron Williams in tier three. From there you have a load of talent in the tier three slot... cornerback is loaded with talent this year.

Peter Kiper: It is, I think if Harris was better in run support and learned to work in zone packages better he would have been a lot closer to the other two. He's quick to react and has great game speed to follow receivers but there's parts of his games missing.

Randy Kiper: Like most cornerbacks here, you're right.. he does have a few weaknesses but he has the athletic ability to be a good starting cornerback in this league. I don't know if he can insert himself as a starter in his first year, but I definitely think he will be a potential #1 guy in the future. I actually like him better than Jimmy Smith, who went a good 10 picks earlier.

Peter Kiper: I had him as my third corner, but this about the right position for him. I like Smith for his size, but that was a reach earlier. The Dolphins continue to clean up and might be able to join us here at Draft U with their GPA. Another A here.

Randy Kiper: I am gonna give them an A too, they didn't reach for Harris and they hit on a need. I think Harris draws comparison to Tramon Williams' game and looking at how Williams played this year... that's quite the compliment. I don't know how many times the Dolphins traded in the first round, but they got a winner in Brandon Harris.

Peter Kiper: Miami keeps winning and the Colts keep trying to offset their losing this offseason. Not only did they lose Manning, they lost Dwight Freeney as well. However they will replacing him with one of the best hair in the draft, that's a win right?

Randy Kiper: Yessir, they got a pretty good player in Ryan Kerrigan. I don't know if he'll be that guy to replace Dwight Freeney, but I guess they have to start somewhere. I think we've been talking about the Colts quite a bit thus far, three first round picks and one more in the second round. The Big Ten defense player of the year will look to have an impact in the NFL and I really think he can. His stock has shot up this offseason and for very good reason.

Peter Kiper: Did you know his teammates call him Superman. I wouldn't doubt it because he's super strong, super disruptive and for the majority of his career was that guy piling up tackles for losses. The best run defender at his position. One of the best work ethics I've seen in a football player, he's pretty much perfect, with his football ability and the way his hair blows in the wind... the only thing that prevents him from being absolutely perfect... he's not Dwight Freeney and won't be the guy that replaces him, he'd be perfect the other side but he won't be that guy.

Randy Kiper: You're right, but I think the Colts will be OK without Dwight Freeney with Aaron Kampman and Robert Mathis around. It's all about value this late in the first round and I think the Colts got absolutely that. Kerrigan may not be the most athletic kid out there, but he's just a football player and that's why he'll succeed in the NFL.

Peter Kiper: Put him in the same class as a JJ Watt or Chris Long, and give him an A-.

Randy Kiper: It's a good pick with some good value behind it, I am going to give it a B+.

Peter Kiper: While the Colts continue to miss their former franchise quarterback, the Browns welcome what could possible their's.

Randy Kiper: Christian Ponder.. a quarterback who has fell.. then started to rise a month ago. I can honestly say I am a tad bit surprised with this selection. I think it goes to tell you that the Browns aren't really committed to Colt McCoy. Maybe the Browns got something to work with here, but I think the Browns just got part two of Charlie Frye.

Peter Kiper: I wouldn't go that far, it could be more of a Couch, Holcomb battle for the starting position though. He doesn't have the arm strength some of the other quarterbacks do, but does he have some zip on the under routes, and can fit the ball into some tight holes. A skill I was infamous for in College. What sets him apart is his experience in a pro style offense and that bad arm.

Randy Kiper: I just don't feel it's going to equate to good things, plain and simple. Maybe he'll be a good coach for Colt McCoy or something... the kid is smart, but just doesn't have the consistency or the arm to play in the NFL. I'm sorry but this is just a waste of a first round pick in my opinion.

Peter Kiper: He's my sixth quarterback, putting Jake Locker and Andy Dalton ahead of Ponder but I guess it continues the Browns run of future quarterbacks that will be out the door in a year or two. I guess I can keep them above a D, so how about a C.

Randy Kiper: I dislike the pick. I was going to give it a C, but I am going to have to drop it down to a D+ being they traded up!

Peter Kiper: Well who's being a little harsh this time around, stop stealing my schtick. Ponder may have been a reach but you can say the same about Derek Sherrod, then again he's not going to cost Jerry Peyton Manning like money to protect Romo on the right side.

Randy Kiper: Spend $20 million on Doug Free then drops two first round picks on offense linemen... whatever works for ole Jerrah over there in Dallas. I could have used that money on more cheerleaders but who am I to judge? I think the Cowboys reached a bit here, Sherrod is a 2nd round talent, but due to the way offense tackles have been jumping... I guess they felt that they should get one now. Sherrod needs to polish his technique and get stronger, like any tackle at this point. I think he can potentially be a good left tackle in the NFL.

Peter Kiper: Well it gives the Boys some leeway because he can play right tackle and develop and if they can't afford another big contract on Free they can shift Sherrod over. He's not as big of a reach as some, he is graded at the top of the second round and like you said there has been a reach for tackles this year. It's a justifiable reach, especially with a need to put together a younger line that can develop together with so many of the older pieces leaving. A reach, but a solid one. B+.

Randy Kiper: Not a great pick but certainly not a bad pick. I'll give it an even B and move on.

Peter Kiper: Great so I get to finish this off on my own? Because you know I was the most read draft reviewer before you came along. One guy that didn't have to worry about losing any of his luster is Muhammad Wilkerson, why he's had some help from the rise of Temple's program the last couple seasons, but should he have gone here with some of the other tackles left on the board

Randy Kiper: Wilkerson is one of those guys who while being a big man, can still get to the quarterback. I think he'll fit in well as a 3-4 DE in the Jets system. You know that Rex Ryan can get the most out of his players so I think this was a good selection. Wilkerson still has plenty of room to grow, which is scary. An offseason with the Jets is a definite plus in the career of Muhammad Wilkerson.

Peter Kiper: He's a big boy at 6'5 and 300 pounds, what's scary is his agility and ability to move like the power forward he played. People don't realize the kind of movement he has, great swim move. It's a really good fit for the Jets, though I wonder what he thinks about the foot fetish.

Randy Kiper: While the two may not share the same love for feet, I can guarantee you that they share the same love for food. I think this is a pretty good pick that may have surprised some people, but when you really look at it... maybe not. I give it a B+.

Peter Kiper: He's got a rare combination of skills and physical attributes that will help him have a solid career in New York, we'll see if he can develop more than that swim move. All I can say is ballin... with a B+.

Randy Kiper: The first free safety goes off the board in Rahim Moore; I didn't even expect a safety to go in the first round so props to the Jaguars for proving me wrong. I think Moore can be a good free safety in the NFL, but he is an inconsistent tackler. He has shown he can be a gamechanger with 10 interceptions in 2009, but I'm not sure what happened with those numbers in 2010.

Peter Kiper: It's a unspectacular class of safeties this year with Moore leading the way. Overall I don't really buy into his coverage skills which explains why he dropped back down to reality. Mind you he's a good tackler and for being the best safety this year it's worth drafting him near the tail end of round one.

Randy Kiper: To each their own, I suppose. I think the lack of safeties makes it understandable but it wasn't really a Jamaal Charles pick or anything like that. Moore is a good kid who I am sure will have a positive impact on the locker room in Jacksonville. Maybe even can even put some fans in the seats, but I think that's asking a little too much.

Peter Kiper: Well he will certainly strengthen the Jaguars underwhelming collection of safeties like the injured Cedric Griffin, and above average Babineaux. I can't go higher than a B, for the best looking girl in the Miss Iowa contest.

Randy Kiper: I'll give it a B-, but you better be careful about what you say about Iowa... Because we have someone coming up who may be a little attached to the state and I think he can take you.

Peter Kiper: I highly doubt it, that new GM in Denver has nothing on me. After all I know for a fact he has a copy of my columns in his back pocket at all times.

Randy Kiper: I'm talking about big man Adrian Clayborn, selecting by the Denver Broncos. Kirk Ferentz loved coaching Clayborn so much at Iowa, when he came to Denver he must have felt Clayborn needed to come right with him. Clayborn is a bigger defense end who could possibly play defense tackle in a 4-3 defense.

Peter Kiper: He could, and I definitely see him moving along the line to give the Broncos different looks. He's strong with good hands and should be able to shed through the blockers. He's another very talented lineman who will benefit from Jared Allen's presence. It also helps that there is a major Iowa connection.

Randy Kiper: I think there's just a Midwest connection over there, they brought in both Jared Allen and Ray Edwards and then Glenn Dorsey from Kansas City. I think this pick has some good value to it and while it may not be Denver's biggest need... I think it was just something too tough to pass up.

Peter Kiper: Well Liuget or Paea would have fit better, the value was really good. I'll say it was an A- move to take a top 15 talent.

Randy Kiper: I think adding talent in the trenches is always a good thing, I give it an A.

Peter Kiper: I'm not surprised. Even if Mike Humpal went here you'd give it an A. That was certainly an interesting first round, a lot of reaches and a lot of I can't believe they're still on the board coming up in the second round.

Randy Kiper: I'm surprised with your constant drinking you can even remember Mike Humpal. And now I think we should just do something that you have plenty of experience with in the bedroom... I am talking about the lightning round.

Peter Kiper: Hey I just know how to get to the point, I'm just like the Patriots record setting offense, we score fast and we score in bunches.

033 - Philadelphia Eagles - Aaron Williams, CB, Texas
    Peter's Grade: C+
    Reach for a guy you plan on switching to free safety, question is how long before he's traded away and then traded for again, and how many times.
    Randy's Grade: B+
    Williams is one of those tweeners who could play cornerback or safety; I think he could wind up being someone like Antrel Rolle.

034 - Miami Dolphins - Leonard Hankerson, WR, Miami (Fl)
    Peter's Grade: B
    There were other WRs I liked better, I suspect a run on receivers.
    Randy's Grade: A
    Big fan of Hankerson; I think he’s the third best receiver in the draft. Great pick.

035 - Cincinnati Bengals - Corey Liuget, DT, Illinois
    Peter's Grade: A
    Great value for a Bengals team that could use some help on the line. How some of the other players got taken before him, I don't know.
    Randy's Grade: A-
    Very good value for a guy that probably could have been a top 20 pick; it addresses a need to boot.

036 - Chicago Bears - Kyle Rudolph, TE, Notre Dame
    Peter's Grade: B+
    The first tight end goes, great pass catcher with underrated blocking. Only TE worth a first day selection.
    They really needed help at tight end and they got the best tight end in the draft at a good spot.

037 - San Francisco 49ers - Davon House, CB, New Mexico State
    Peter's Grade: C-
    Way too early, not really the kind of corner that will be taking it to the house.
    Randy's Grade: B-
    Definitely a reach with some of the other cornerbacks on the board, but Jimmy Smith went 13 so what do I know?

038 - Kansas City Chiefs - Mikel LeShoure, RB, Illinois
    You lose Thomas Jones, but bring in a young guy that's big and strong and can do more than a typical power back. Better value than Ingram, better player in the long run.
    Great pick with some great value behind it. This definitely will give the Chiefs quite the tandem at running back.

039 - Atlanta Falcons - Justin Houston, DE, Georgia
    It's a crime how talent can fall when teams have to go needs first.
    This guy could have went near the bottom of round one, great pick by the Falcons… Scary rotation of John Abraham, Charles Johnson, and now Justin Houston.

040 - Dallas Cowboys - Martez Wilson, LB, Illinois
    Best middle linebacker, and helps reload the linebacking unit in the big D.
    This guy could have went higher based on the lack of linebacker depth this year, very nice pick.

041 - Buffalo Bills - Jabaal Sheard, DE, Pittsburgh
    Talented end, who goes around the position I was predicting. Greatly upgrades the Bills lack of pass rush.
    The Bills really needed a defense end and they got a very underrated pass rusher in Sheard.

042 - Houston Texans - Ras I Dowling, CB, Virginia
    Peter's Grade: C-
    Another corner going a round early. Give him two years and he may be ready to start, but right now I could see him not translating well in the pros.
    Randy's Grade: B
    Dowling went maybe 10 picks earlier than I would have projected, but it’s certainly nothing to whine about.

043 - Pittsburgh Steelers - Cameron Heyward, DE, Ohio State
    Peter's Grade: A+
    Absolute steal for the Steelers who didn't need him, but will continue to have a strong front three for years to come.
    Randy's Grade: A+
    An absolutely steal right here as the Steelers nabbed the most NFL-ready 3-4 defense end. They may not need him, but they will find a way to get him on the field.

044 - Atlanta Falcons - Stephen Paea, DT, Oregon State
    Peter's Grade: A+
    Hercules, hercules. Love the pick, strong tackle that's going to lend itself to the Falcons defensive line.
    Another great pick, we’re seeing a lot of value picks right here. The Falcons selected one of the strongest tackles in the draft at a great price.

045 - Minnesota Vikings - Jake Locker, QB, Washington
    Last years potential number one regressed last year, but is still better value than other quarterbacks already taken.
    Great value for a guy that was supposedly the first overall pick in 2009 had he entered the draft. Good competition for Chad Henne.

046 - Oakland Raiders - Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami (Fl)
    Moving to guard in the pros, tackles from the U have translated well on the next level.
    He can play both guard and tackle; but maybe Oakland will play him at wide receiver?

047 - St. Louis Rams - Drake Nevis, DT, LSU
    It's an ok pick, not much more I can say about that.
    Pretty good value and better depth on the line never hurts.

048 - Baltimore Ravens - Brooks Reed, LB, Arizona
    Peter's Grade: A-
    Hard worker, some injury issues. Tenacious and could be the next Vrabel.
    Non-stop motor along with great leadership skills. Poor man’s Clay Matthews.

049 – New England Patriots – Phil Taylor, DT, Baylor
    Peter’s Grade: B
    Not really a need, but a good player.
    Randy’s Grade: B+
    I don’t consider this the “steal” that some did and New England could have addressed a few other need positions.

050 - San Diego Chargers - Torrey Smith, WR, Maryland
    Chargers could use some help with the recent changes in the offseason.
    Very good value for a guy that could have went in the first round; addresses a need as well.

051 - New York Jets - Titus Young, WR, Boise State
    Good burner, decent value and the Jets need to replenish their receiving unit.
    Pretty good value, but Torrey Smith just went right before Young which hurts a little bit. The Jets will hope that Young can replace Holmes in 2011.

052 - New York Giants - Ryan Williams, RB, Virginia Tech
    I like the value and nabbing a guy with first round talent this late will give the Giants one of the better running back rotations in the league.
    Very good value for the Giants who now can go back to their 3 man rotation at running back that proved to be successful for them in the past.

053 - Atlanta Falcons - Bruce Carter, OLB, North Carolina
    Not as talented as a pass rusher as other prospects, but the Falcons continue to help build depth and have guys that will be able to step into starting roles in the near future.
    Very good value for Carter and you can never have enough linebackers.

054 - Green Bay Packers - Randall Cobb, WR, Kentucky
    Too early for a guy this level, they really missed out on a guy that would replace the hole left by Jennings in the first round.
    Randy's Grade: B-
    A little bit too early for Cobb in my opinion, but they could have made much worse selections here.

055 - Minnesota Vikings - Marcus Cannon, OT/G, TCU
    Big, blocks out the sun and reminds of Branden Albert where he can play left tackle but way better off inside. Could be a real wall if he's put beside Loadholt.
    Great value here for Cannon who can play a lot of positions on the line.

056 - New Orleans Saints - Allen Bailey, DE, Miami (Fl)
    Could he be Calais Campbell with some coaching? I heard he had a little Gholston in him, big and flashy but not technique and a complete disappointment. That's what she said.
    Great value as the Saints continue to quietly put together a very nice draft. Bailey should have went earlier in the second round.

057 - Baltimore Ravens - Benjamin Ijalana, OT, Villanova
    Small school product, versatile lineman that can help the Ravens offensive line.
    Extremely versatile lineman who can play both tackle and guard. I am going to guess they will give him a shot at right tackle.

058 - Baltimore Ravens - Rodney Hudson, OG, Florida State
    Ravens are projecting him to be a guard, has a lot of experience against top competition in the SEC.
    A beast on the line who could play guard or center at the next level. Solid value and the Ravens go with the classic “build on up from the trenches” mindset.

059 - Denver Broncos - Greg Jones, LB, Michigan State
    Second best inside linebacker, will give you all the effort in the world. This pick will not disappoint.
    The Broncos double up at linebacker and get a very good one; Denver is really overhauling their defense through the draft.

060 - Chicago Bears - Tandon Doss, WR, Indiana
    Peter's Grade: C
    Another early pick, but it's a grab him now while there's still “some” talent left.
    Randy's Grade: C+
    A bit of a reach, but the Bears can afford to reach with seven of draft picks in the 3rd and 4th round.

061 - San Diego Chargers - Kenrick Ellis, DT, Hampton
    Replenishing the line with a strong player from a small school. Will he be able to step it up against top competition?
    Hampton delivered on Kendall Langford and San Diego hopes they can do the same with Ellis. Nice value and now I just wonder if he’ll play nose tackle or 5 technique end.

062 - Chicago Bears - William Rackley, OG, Lehigh
    Peter's Grade: C
    A round early for a guy who hasn't played top competition. Has good hands, but his arms are a little short. Going from tackle to guard in the pros, so he should fare well.
    Randy's Grade: C+
    A round too early right here, but that’s only due to lack of competition at Lehigh. Fun fact, Dallas Clark’s brother goes to Lehigh.

063 - Pittsburgh Steelers – Chris Carter, OLB, Fresno State
    Steelers lose Woodley and find a guy who's pretty explosive, but isn't quite ready or polished yet. Classic undersized end who will try and prove he can play standing.
    Pittsburgh goes for a diamond in the rough player in Carter. Solid, but not spectacular, draft pick for the Steelers.

064 - Green Bay Packers – Greg Little, WR, North Carolina
    Packers double dip because they know they have to cover the bases after skipping on Green and Jones. Better value, better skills and athlete than Cobb.
    The Packers had to take another receiver to replace Jennings and they selected a good player in Little.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Interesting grade on 28. For what it’s worth, Christian Ponder is a Brown because stockpiling talented quarterbacks is the quickest path to rebuilding a franchise. There is no such thing as overdrafting a QB or having too many. Just ask Andy “I have Donovan McNabb, but sure I’ll draft Kevin Kolb and sign Michael Vick, why not” Reid. Ponder should be a Lion or a Colt right now. Their loss. Besides, there were no better value picks available to the Browns at 28 or 37. And for the Minnesota Vikipers… Jake Locker? Andy Dalton? Really?

But besides that… :lol: Great stuff once again. You guys put effort into it, and it shows.

3. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    He's had a pick six in three of his four years. :confused2:

4. JMHPhin

JMHPhin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 27, 2007
    Ohio
    look at how well diamond in the rough lbers work out in pitt? like vobora alot but carter adds that pass rush we lose with woodley. athletic with fluid hips, var of pass rush moves, uses hands well. needs some finishing but is on perfect team to do it.

5. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    I'd love to know what "Randy" thinks are the Pats needs... since I believe it was him who thought DE was a need in his mock. :lol:

6. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    The irony in me thinking I stole Cobb and reached for Little:lol:

alen1 likes this.
  7. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Fwiw they were both good picks. Little I think can be very good if he develops a consistency to his game

8. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    ...And Randy thinks you addressed that perfectly with JJ Watt.

9. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I think Paul made a good pick. Hard to go wrong with the trenches IMO.

10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I like Cobb way more than Little, and had Cobb slightly above Titus Young (due to versatility).

11. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    He needs to work on technique, and he needs to do a better job of focusing.

12. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    His versatility was big for me. Donald Driver is getting up there in age, and I think Cobb is a guy that can fill that void in the future. He's really the type of guy that can work almost the entire field. Another big thing was Cobb's character. The guy is going to be a leader for us.

13. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Thx. Yeah i thought that was where the value was at that pick. We had a couple other guys i was considering but felt it was just too high for them. One of them just got picked in Wisniewski and the other is still not picked. I did try to move down as well.

14. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Ron Brace hasn't been anything to write home about so I don't have an issue with the Taylor pick. Though, there's the chance Taylor ends up like Brace but you have that possibility with a lot of DL.

15. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    I got a guy on the roster, kade weston, who could blossom.

16. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Former Georgia guy?

EDIT: Yeah.

17. Paul 13

Dec 3, 2007
    Yeah. Monstrous.

18. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    [video=youtube;964zCjjscMc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=964zCjjscMc&feature=related[/video]
    Hahaha I am not trading Aaron Williams thats for sure lol. And the kiper brother I like most is.... RAAAAAAAANDY!!!!