1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The latest MrClean mock draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by MrClean, Apr 11, 2009.

1. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Ok, we can see that overall boards can vary greatly from source to source, and most mock drafts I've seen are based on the big boards of Kiper and Mayock.
    I just looked at Ourlads overall ranking yesterday and based on where they rank the players, I made up this mock draft. Before you belittle them, please remember, their head honcho is Dan Shonka, who actually worked as a college scout for National Football Scouting, who are the counterpart to BLESTO, the Eagles, and the Redskins. He was also a college head coach before that.
    So I looked at where they had the players going in their computerized mock draft, and selected players at our pick or below, down to our next pick. For example, my first rounder was below 25th, but above 44th on their mock draft.

1. Jairus Byrd CB Oregon - Byrd was ranked as late 1st/early 2nd. To me, he is the CB in this draft whom after Jenkins most closely fits the kind of corner that Parcells likes. Jenkins will gone at this point. Byrd is a ball hawk, physical tackler, willing and able in run support. He is alert and aware in coverage. He is quick, agile and strong. His character is impeccable. He has everything but a great 40 time and if he did have one, he'd be a top 10 pick.

2a. Robert Ayers DE/OLB Tennessee - Yes, I know Kiper and Mayock have Ayers in the top 10-15. Others do too? They copied Kiper and Mayock. Ourlads has him in the mid 2nd, so I am putting him here. He could eventually play OLB for us, and as a rookie could be part of our 4 man line in the nickel and dime packages, and could help put more pressure on the passer from somewhere other than Porter.

2b. Gerald Cadogan OL Penn St - Cadogan is a solid fairly athletic, technically sound, tenacious OT, a somewhat overlooked guy, who blocks well in all aspects for the run and pass. He could be a nice swing man for us at least and is good enough to compete for a starting job at G as a rookie. He is basically at least someone who could be the first reserve anywhere but C. Upgrades our OL depth a lot.

3. Michael Hamlin S Clemson - We got really very little depth at safety too, and this guy could back up both safety spots, probably play as a nickel back, cover 3rd WRs, and has been a productive 4 yr starter which should endear him to Parcells. He is also well schooled in cover 4, so if we needed him to start, perish forbid, he'd be able to as a rookie and not get us killed. When you can get a talented experienced guy who knows your scheme, better grab him.

4. Kevin Barnes CB Maryland - We need more than one starting quality corner, and Barnes seems lower than he would have been were he not coming off a broken shoulder blade injury that required surgery. He still can't lift. We do know he has good coverage skills, is willing to come up and play the run when necessary. Also very bright, fast, and athletic.

5. Jarett Dillard WR Rice - He isn't really physically imposing, but he is big enough, not that fast, but very quick, has fine hands, runs precise routes, and can leap through the rafters. Kind of a mix of Clayton and McDuffie, I guess.

6. Quinn Johnson FB LSU - He is someone who would help as a lead blocker, has good hands as an outlet receiver, and runs pretty well after the catch. He would also be able to grind out the tough yards inside in 3rd or 4th and short. He could be the 5th OB, and would play a lot of special teams. Since he'd be active on game day for special teams acumen, he could also pair with Polite in short yardage situations and they could take turns running and lead blocking for each other.

7a. Victor Butler OLB Oregon St - He is a high energy, athletic DE who projects to rush backer in the NFL. He was very productive, but seems to be getting overlooked leading up to this draft. He was more productive than guys like Maybin and English, and I can't help but think that if he played for a more high profile Eastern team or USC, that he'd talked about 4-5 rounds higher.

7b. Richard Quinn TE Maryland -Here is a guy who may be the best inline run blocking TE in this draft and an overlooked pass catcher, since he was hindered by an injury and also playing with so many good WRs who did most of the catching. Butch Davis admits he didn't properly utilize him.

UDFA Zach Miller QB/H-Back Nebraska-Omaha - This is the guy to be our 3rd QB, H-Back, Wildcat QB. CK first mentioned him and when you watch his highlight tapes it looks like a high school senior playing against 6th graders.
    He could be the kind of Wildcat weapon for us that some of us envision Pat White could, but at a lot cheaper cost.

shouright, Big Red and cnc66 like this.
  2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Id rather go with Sean Smith than Byrd that early and I dont think Ayers will be around anywhere that late, hes got some serious Jerrod Mayo in him in that hes flying up boards and smoeone will take him early.

Big Red likes this.
  3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    No way Dillard last that long.

Aside from that, as much as I love Cadagon, I would be furious if we took a T in the top 2 rounds unless their last name was Oher, Smith, or Monroe. We have more needs than that. I want us to get a T this draft, but really not until rd 4 at the earliest. I really like Meredith too, but unless we got him in rd 3, it is just way too early IMO for that position for us. They would have to challenge for a starting spot somewhere IMO in order to warrant a top 2 pick.

4. B.Sebo

B.Sebo TV Mastermind

Dec 16, 2007
    West Arkansas
    Good job man, looks like the Dillard train is leaving the station . . . Odin should be happy.

Byrd is quite the enigma, he could possibly go in the third or second, first may be stretching it a bit, but I would not be shocked.

Always love seeing differing viewpoints bro, good job.

MrClean likes this.
  5. MrClean

Cadogan could play G or T, and we need good quality OL depth. He can play 4 positions and could start at 3 of them if need be.
    Which round do you think Dillard goes in? Ourlads had him 176th. I've not seen him higher than the 4th round by anyone other than Boomer. So the 5th doesn't seem too off the wall to me. He is the type of guy who could slide to the 5th IMO. He isn't physically imposing and he has average speed for a WR. Those two characteristics alone, often push a WR down in the draft. We'll see.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Dillard could go late second IMO. He runs great routes, plays very low to the ground when cutting and can create separation despite his lack of elite speed. Quick first step makes it difficult to jam him at the line and is a red zone target despite his 5'11" stature. Here's my thoughts on him.

MrClean likes this.
  7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Very original mock MC! If Barwin is gone by or before the Pats and so is Nicks, then I could very well see us taking a guy like Byrd if he fits our system well. The kids a playmaker....and playmakers cause turnovers....and a strong turnover margin wins games, as evident by last year's season. Sean Smith is a risk. He's potentially one of these guys who is great at the college level but gets lit up in the pros.

I like Ayers a lot! I'm just not sure he's the same player at OLB and I wouldn't want to draft him as a potential situational 3-4 DE pass rusher. IMO Sintim will impact quicker and offers the potential of playing the middle if he's still there at 44. If not, I like Krugers instincts, hustle, and decent lateral agility....plus he's an ex stand-out QB so he understands the game and has good athletic ability. He might be my 2nd or 3rd OLB to Barwin. Matt Roth was equally as dominant in college ad Ayers and I don't see him being a different breed of player than Matt to warrant replacing him at SOLB.....especially considering the switch to quarters will require him to impact a little more in space IMO.

Awesome pick with Hamlin. He could very well end up being the best Safety in the draft when it's all said and done!

Jarrett Dillard will play in a few ProBowls before his career is through. Gut's telling me he'll be gone by the 3rd to mid 4th round. I still feel we need a WR and if Dillard is gone by 5, then I'd like to see us take Mike Wallace who can hopefully replace Ginn as out deep threat while giving us the lightening in our return game. If he played at UF where he could develop his skills better, we might be talking about him in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Victor Butler- yes! The great LT himself had zero sacks his rookie year and a high majority of DEs/hybrids don't impact their rookie years period, regardless of round taken. Enough said. Butler has the inner intangibles and physical gifts in common with many of the greats who played the position. Besides, with Wake replacing Roth on passing downs, Victor can has time to relax and grow into the position. In another 15 pounds and more skill, this kid will be a stud.

I hope we get Zach Miller and really like who you picked for most of the draft. James Casey is my 2nd favorite guy in the draft, so I'd take an impact player like Casey over a quality, utility lineman in 2b....but that's just because I have a secret 3 way man crush on Connor and James. :D

Almost forgot....Quinn Johnnson....heck to the double yes!!! Por favor!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I like the West Coast lean to your Mock, Byrd and Butler were not on the game of the week on the East Coast very often.

ToddsPhins and MrClean like this.
  9. MrClean

With the 44th pick, based on Ourlads value chart, English and Sintim are also between 45 and 55, so I could have used either of them rather than Ayers as the 2a pick. Would that have improved the mock draft?
    They also like Kruger more than most. He is 33rd overall.

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    So much for Kruger. LOL. IMO Sintim has a chance to be an outstanding MLB in our system...and he allows us to bring more heat, which is the reason you wanted Ayers....only IMO again, Sintim might offer more of an impact as a 3 down player and having him in the middle of Wake and Porter/Butler could allow us to bring pressure from anywhere. I believe Sintim is a potential probowler in the middle. He's a tackling machine and he's great around the LOS. He's smart and he disects and reacts to plays well. He's another guy like Hamlin who doesn't waste a lot of steps. Clint should be in the middle where his instincts can be utlized more frequently and and his leadership and game smarts can QB our Defense. IMO, he's a Mike Singletary type guy at MLB.

English no. Too much of a history of injuries foe my personal taste....and Sintim is used to playing against Eugene Monroe and Branden Albert the past 4 years...and he shined this year despite a lackluster defense. I feel in my gut that English is not the OLB people think he will be.

What's your gut on this situation? I'm in ACC country, so I've been able to see Sintim dominate a game in more than just rushing the passer. In his freshman year he said that "he's destined to be something great. I don't know what that is yet, but it's in my genes. I have to be something great"...or very close to those words. This is a class act kid with a ton of heart.
    Posted via Mobile Device

11. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Where was Barwin by the way? I'm going to post a lengthy thread tomorrow on roughly why he will be the top OLB in the draft and a future NFL great. It'll tie in the position in general. Based on our needs right now....and if we had the first pick, I'd take him #1 overall. LOL.
    Posted via Mobile Device

12. MrClean

IMO, English will be best served going to a 4-3 team that plans to play him at RDE.
    I like Sintim a lot. He and Laurinaitis are the potential picks for us that fit the basic Parcells blueprint better than any other LBs in this draft.
    For a corner, Byrd fits it pretty well too.
    At least how I am interpreting his blueprint anyway. I could be all wet.

13. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    A smart, physical playmaker who can cover and tackle....what's not to like? LOL. Besides, not every WR runs a 4.35, and the ones who do...he doesn't have to cover....or the smaller ones he can hopefully press off the line all game....and he should be getting deep help from the Safeties on the premier burners of the league.

I'd settle for a dominant #2 corner who could shut down #2 WRs.... since those guys actually catch passes, too. :D
    Posted via Mobile Device

14. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    In their Mock Draft, OurLads has us taking Max Unger #25. :headscratch:

1. Ourlads has Darius Butler rated ahead of Byrd. They've got Jenkins at #1, Davis at #2, Butler at #3, Alphonso Smith at #4, and Kevin Barnes at #5.

2a. Robert Ayers would be tremendous at #44. :up:

2b. Gerald Cadogan? Depth vs a starter? I don't know about that one, man.

3. Michael Hamlin was so awful against Alabama that he ended up on Tony Pauline's "Sliders" list.

Love Kevin Barnes, Jarett Dillard, Quinn Johnson, Victor Butler, and Richard Quinn! FWIW According to Boomer's blog in the Sun-Sentinel the Dolphins haven't shown any interest in Dillard, Johnson, or Butler.

15. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    That's interesting. I had them going in that area in my last Mock and was ridiculed for it on certain websites. Maybe I'm just crazy though, but getting some form of validation is never a bad thing. I didn't have Kruger that high, but at 44 he provided good value to my eyes.

http://www.universaldraft.com/Con_s_Mock_Round_2.html

Cadogan comes as the last pick in the round to the Steelers. :up:

16. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    i believe that day 1 is fairly set with 'what' the FO wants to achieve, namely:

OLB [Johnson], DB (really a CB, but could go S) [Byrd], DE [Moore], and ILB [Brinkley] -- i even believe it is in that order, and i put names in a different post.

the only variance i see to this is if one of 2 TEs [Pettigrew, Casey] are available in rd 2, then whichever gets bumped moves immediately to pick 5 on day 2, either DE [Melton] or CB [Hughes/Toler].

IF it goes as planned on day 1, with OLB, DB, DE and ILB ... then pick 5 becomes the wildcard pick: going with another DB [Hughes], RB [Vaughn], or even WR [Dillard].

picks 6-9 seem rather straight forward from a position standpoint: DT [Martin], WR [Knox], OL [Garcia], DB [Carey] -- again, in that order ...

then on to UDFAs: S [McDuffie], TE [Nalbone], G [Allen], WR [Marion], RB [Sutton], ILB [Williams], OLB [Walters], T [???]

17. MrClean

Ourlads Draft Book has the corners being drafted in a different order than their overall list. I'm reading it right now. You must have a different source of your Ourlads info because it differs from what I am reading.

The Mock draft goes
    #10: Jenkins
    #23: A. Smith
    #33: Butler
    #37: Byrd
    #39: Davis
    #54: Moore
    #63: Mickens

Their overall value board goes:
    10. Jenkins
    21. Davis
    27. A. Smith
    29. Byrd
    36. Butler
    52. Moore
    71. Mickens
    73. Martin
    80. S. Smith
    84. V. Harris
    89. D. Smith
    93. Allen
    94. Webb
    95. Fletcher.
    99. C. Harris
    101. Lewis
    117. Trent
    124. Barnes
    126. Munnerlyn
    129. Powers
    139. Hughes
    144. Burnett
    150. Mouton
    155. Carey
    They have Barnes going in the early 4th and S. Smith going in the early 5th in the mock draft. This is the first year their mock has not totally jibed with their overall rankings. :(

18. MrClean

Barwin is 19th overall and going 28th in their mock draft. They have us taking Unger at 25 to play RG

ToddsPhins likes this.
  19. MrClean

How about:
    1. Mack
    2a. Wood
    2b Loadholt
    3. Herman Johnson
    4. T.J. Lang
    5. Joel Bell
    6. Cornelius Lewis
    7a. Roger Allen