1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Discussion in 'Gaming Forum' started by mor911, Feb 27, 2017.

1. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    1. Can't believe there's no dedicated thread for this.

2. I can't believe it's almost finally out.

3. The Wii U version has leaked to the internet and the Wii U itself is preeeeetty easy to do these days. I would never condone such debauchery, but one of my friends are plating it now and I'm kiiiiinda jealous. I've decided to play it on Switch... Still kinda jealous.

2. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    No need to be jealous. The Switch version runs at higher resolution.

I'm strongly considering taking March 3 off work to play the hell out of this game on a long weekend. But I have other things to do, mainly ArmA 3 unit responsibilities.

3. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Opted to order the WiiU version, since I don't plan to get a Switch anytime soon (if at all), and it isn't like Nintendo first party titles go on sale frequently anyways.

4. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I thought about being sick. But I ordered via Amazon and my luck it'll still get delivered at 7pm

5. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    If you're conveniently sick, it means you can go drive around after the UPS truck driver, GTA style.

6. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    I bought the Wii U version. I contemplated on buying the Switch version too since it will still be $60 later in the year when I eventually get a Switch and that Prime discount would dock it down to $48.

7. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
  8. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Famitsu awarded a perfect score. They also gave perfect scores to Ocarina of Time, Wind Waker, and Skyward Sword.

9. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    ok, Skyward sword was ok at best lol

Them giving that game a perfect score is reason enough to know they have a Zelda bias

Stitches likes this.
  10. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Different generations of reviewers means there isn't an institutional bias, IMO.

Skyward Sword was pretty good. I personally liked Twilight Princess better than OoT, WW, and SS. I don't blame them for giving it a perfect score. I don't think it deserved it, but I can see why they did.

I personally go LttP > Twilight Princess > Wind Waker HD > Link's Awakening > Ocarina of Time > Skyward Sword > Zelda 1 > meh.

11. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I go LTTP > Wind Waker > Ocarina > Links Awakening > Twilight > Skyward Sword > Zelda 1

12. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    BOTW is game of the year, all years.

It's amazing how returning to the original game's formula, with some narrative for flavor, is all this series needs.

13. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Game of the year or not, I do wish I could swap the sprint and sneak buttons. Or at least re-arrange in some fashion to where I can sprint into a jump without needing to take the time to make sure I temporarily arrange my fingers in a specific & unusual fashion that will allow me to do it.

14. TheOne

TheOne Active Member

Oct 14, 2016
    Ocarina of time, greatest game for Nintedo 64.

15. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    OoT is fantastic. But, IMO, it's not even the best Zelda game, let alone the best N64 game. I had more fun and longevity from Mario 64 and Mario Kart 64, and there are several Zelda games that are more engaging and playable.

16. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I feel like Ocarina for Zelda for a lot of people is what FF7 is for the Final Fantasy games. It was a lot of people's first Zelda. it was the first 3D Zelda, and it has that spot in their hearts. But I agree it's not the best Zelda or 64 game.

17. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    With the enhanced 3DS release, I'm not sure that analogy applies. A new generation HAS played the game, and it's still highly praised. That same generation cut its teeth on the portable Zeldas, like Minish Cap (which is AWESOME, I regret not mentioning it earlier), Spirit Tracks, etc.

18. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Ha! So funny. I after i made that list i also went back and thought "Crap, i totally forgot Minish Cap"... Which I'd take over Ocarina personally.

19. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I agree, I'd rather play Minish Cap than Ocarina. But I think Ocarina is a better game in terms of design.

20. BlameItOnTheHenne

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    No one liked Majora's Mask?

21. mor911

mor911 pooping

Nov 25, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Nope. Lol not me at least

22. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Majora's Mask has a very strong following. Of those who've played it, the majority at least liked it. The problem is that it's fairly obscure for a Zelda game. It came out late in the N64's life cycle, and its remaster was overshadowed by other, bigger game news at the time.

Finally got some time to play BOTW lately. I've just reached Hateno Village. I partially take my time to wander around and explore, and I partially just don't really have time to play any video game lately. I love the design callbacks to Zelda 1. You just have so much freedom to go anywhere. I just take my time going from place to place, exploring around until I'm satisfied, then move on to the next.

23. Stitches

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Just beat it.

I have all the shrines except one. I imagine I have done most if not all the side quests.

It was fun while it lasted, but I don't anticipate playing it again ever. That's not meant to take away from how great a game it is, just it is not a game that seems like it will play differently a second time.

Ah well, time to move to something else.

24. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You might as well do the last shrine just to say you did it.

I'm nowhere near done with this game. It's huge. Arguably the biggest open world game I've ever played.

25. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I read an article earlier today that was claiming to rank recent open world games by map size, and they said that its bigger than The Witcher 3. That's impressive.

26. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I can believe that. But my comment is more about the density of the world; there's so much stuff to do, it's daunting. And it's all engaging and is rarely busywork, unlike Ubisoft's "collect feathers EVERYWHERE" stuff.

What really impresses me about Zelda is that all the content is bite-sized. You can complete a single shrine and feel satisfied and shut it off for a while, or you can go do four in a row. The game is just as fulfilling in smaller chunks as it is in marathon playthroughs. That's really impressive.

Nintendo is still the best game developer on the planet.

27. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I sold my WiiU right before this came out. And now the Switch seems to be very hard to find. Sounds like I'll have to buy a Switch just to play this game. Maybe by the time I'm done with Horizon Zero Dawn, I'll be able to find a Switch.

28. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    You need to find it as soon as possible. This is my game of the year, and I think everyone else's once they've had time to digest.

29. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Did you play Horizon Zero Dawn? People are raving about that! But this one too. I'd like to talk to someone who played both to find out which they liked better.

Any hints where to get a switch? Just the console? I'm not willing to get gouged on some Gamestop bundle with a bunch of other crap I don't need. I need the console, zelda and then it's gonna collect dust until the next Mario game comes out.

30. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I haven't, and there's no need. I'm sure Horizon Zero Dawn is a very good game. But BOTW is a juggernaut that sweeps all challengers aside. H0D is one of the best games on the PS4; BOTW is one of the best games of all time.

BOTW also scores higher on reviews, if that helps.

Sign up for alerts at Now In Stock. That's all I can suggest. If you're really desperate, find a used Wii U and play it that way.

Next Mario game is due out on April 28, if you count Mario Kart as a Mario game. Otherwise, Super Mario Odyssey is due out in November-ish.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  31. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Both of these games have awaken me from my video game hibernation that has lasted almost a year. And it's because I've heard BOTH described as possibly greatest games the people who have played them ever played. I'm excited. And if I had my choice, I'd play BOTW first, but I'm not willing to jump through hoops to get a Switch. I'm sick of Nintendo's fake supply shortages. Hopefully by the time I finish Horizon, the Switch can be easily located at retail price in non bundle format. If not, I'll keep waiting.

32. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    They aren't fake. They've sold almost 3 million in 2 months. It's the fastest selling Nintendo console in history.

And Nintendo is now teasing that they have games in the lineup that will sell even more systems. Guessing we'll hear about them at or around E3.

33. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Gamestop just received stock for the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe release.

34. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Thanks for the heads up! I didn't have any interest in the bundle but I was able to get the console and BOTW today at Toys 'R Us. Either I got lucky or they are getting easier to find! I wish I didn't start Horizon yesterday. I hate stopping a game after I start.

35. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    Congrats! And don't worry, BOTW will make you forget all about H0D.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  36. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Revisiting - In a move that probably would have deeply disappointed Desides, I ended up selling the Switch that I bought back in April along with the copy of BOTW. I didn't even flip it for cash, just pretty much what I bought it for because it was collecting dust while I finished up Horizon Zero Dawn. Then I played Call of Duty WWII for half a second and got started on Destiny 2 which kept me busy for a couple of months.

Fast forward to Christmas and my wife's parents bought the kids a Switch and I got them Mario Kart and Odyssey. A few days later I got BoTW Explorer Edition on sale at Walmart.

Desides - you were right. One of the best games ever and Horizon Zero Dawn pales in comparison. I'm glad it played out as it did, because if I had started this game in April I would have ended up inside all summer long playing this game. I'd much rather be locked into it during these cold winter months, although at the pace I'm going I might still be playing come summer.

Desides likes this.
  37. Desides

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    I'm glad you got to play it. It is absolutely amazing. And as good as it is… you can just see how the next Zelda game would improve on the experience. I cannot wait to play BOTW+ or whatever the next game is. It's just amazing.

BOTW and NieR: Automata are the only two real choices for 2017 GOTW, IMO. Persona 5 is a distant third.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Just a random question, but does the "regular" controller make a huge difference with the game? I messed around with it at Best Buy a few weeks ago (the first time I'd seen or touched a Switch in person) and could not really get a handle on how to even use the other controllers. They're clearly designed for small children, and were awkward as anything. Not planning on buying a Switch, just curious.

39. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    I’ve been playing with the controller it comes with and have had no trouble. I’m sure the pro controller is better but I find the joycons attached to the grip it comes with to be just fine. I’m also shocked at how much I enjoy playing it in portable form.

I also had no intention of buying a switch but I can say BoTW alone makes it a worthwhile purchase. I haven’t played Oddyssey yet but between that and a smash brothers title whenever it comes and I’ll more than have my money’s worth. Oh yeah, my kids love it too. It is theirs after all...

40. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I think that my kids would enjoy playing it on its portable form. They were enamoured by it at the store, but we aren't buying one just yet. Maybe in a year. They love tablets, and my older daughter (age 6) is just starting to play Lego games on the PS4 with me.

For me though, that's just too foreign to think of doing anything beyond a traditional controller. I need the Dual Shock in my hand, looking up at my 55" TV.