1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Los Angeles Dodgers of Los Angeles Bleedin' Blue Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by Samphin, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Barry Bonds managed to play pretty well as an OF at 43 even with all that juice. Even at 40, he was still hitting 40+ HR's and 100+ RBI's while being a competent fielder. No reason to believe Manny won't follow suit.

2. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    All that juicing really gets to his joints so actually Manny would be even better off in terms of fielding. I really don't see any noticeable decline in power for the next 3-4 years. Plus, his plate discipline and mechanics are so sound, that it would still allow him to field power and hit for the long run. The guy knocked a big-time HR off his shoelaces for crying out loud.

Actually, Boras should be willing to thank us for giving his client Jones charity money.

3. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'd love it but I know Manny and especially Boras will balk unless no one offers more (unlikely).

4. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Pretty much everyone knows we're hesitant to go over 3 so they have that in their corner. But we can match and outbid others if we wanted to.

5. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

The t about steroids is, it helps you recover faster. Bonds was able to fight through the "dog days" by simply taking illegal substances. While others had tired bodies and may not have been as alert, Barry is amped up to opening day levels everyday seemingly. Combined that with his already great skillset, and he was a monster.

Assuming Manny is clean, and his typical lazy attitude towards fielding, chances are he becomes even worse going forward. I love his bat, I just don't trst him in the outfield fo rmore than three years, tops.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    No reason to think Manny isn't clean. I've never heard anything about Manny and using PEDs. Agree 100% with not trusting him in the OF. Right now it would be a mistake for any NL team to give him more than 2 years. He'd be a perfect DH right now.

Samphin likes this.
  7. Samphin

I do think Manny is clean. My point is, clean athletes tend to start falling off big time around this stage in their careers. Considering that Manny is most likely clean, I see no reason why he won't fall into the same mold that history has shown us.

The Angels, if they didn't already have a stacked outfield, would probably be the perfect spot for him. They would shell out the dough, allow him to stay in So Cal and be a DH at times. Oh and they would stick it to the Dodgers, which is Arte Moreno's favorite thing to do apparently.

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    The Angels have been linked to Manny since 2003 (along with the Mets). It would make a lot of sense but I think LAA would rather try to sign Tex or CC first. Too bad the Angels don't have the money to sign all 3, how good would that team be with those guys?

9. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
  10. vmarcilfan75

vmarcilfan75 blah...blah...blah... Club Member

Dec 13, 2007
    City Of Angels
    Dodgers offer 2nd highest salary ever

FOX Sports on MSN - MLB - L.A. offers Manny 2nd-highest salary ever in MLB

11. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
  12. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I'd **** bricks if that happened. We make our rotation into one of MLB's best and keep our heavy weapon at bat to anchor a resurgent offense. I still wonder how the team will address 3B since Blake is unlikely to return and DeWitt is excelling at 2B. Garciaparra could be a pinch-hitter and stopgap as a rotation with Martin since there's little available at 3B in terms of FA.

13. Samphin

There is talk that Russell Martin could be moving to third base permanently. Jason Varitek has been linked to L.A. Personally, I wish we had kept one of our young catching prospects for this very reason.

But, you put Martin at third (his original position), re-sign Furcal for a year or two, DeWitt as second, Loney at first, Manny, Kemp and Ethier in the outfield.

Sign CC and figure out something for the catcher's spot. CC, Billingsley, Kershaw, Kuroda and a fifth starter might be the way to go. Penny, I think, could be a nice option for closer when you consider Saito's health and Broxton's inconsistancy. Penny in the ninth with his mentality could work, and lengthen his career.

14. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Martin has been excellent as a catcher and the success of our pitching shows it. Veteran guys want him and he was also credited with Billingsley's recovery from a rough start. He could be an above average 3B or a potential HOF catcher. I choose the latter. Frankly, if Nomar is healthy and bats like he did during the playoffs, I think we can platoon him and Martin with a vet catcher as backup. I've heard the Varitek rumors but I don't think he can ever replace Martin but I would be interested if he splits time.

Penny's likely gone. Didn't rub off well with Torre and he'll want to find a starters job elsewhere. Schmidt's still under contract though...

15. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Wednesday afternoon, a Padres source said the club was working diligently with the Braves, Cubs and Dodgers, and that he believed a straight-up trade ---- as opposed to a three-team deal ---- could be accomplished.

Colletti said the Dodgers don't have any untouchable players within the organization, but that he would need to be blown away to part with several of his young players. That group includes rookie pitcher Clayton Kershaw, whom the Padres covet.

"It would take a major offer to move those guys," Colletti said. "I'd include a lot of young players (in that category)."

PADRES: Peavy derby starts to narrow : North County Times - Californian

16. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I would love Peavy as a consolation prize to the Sabathia derby but I have high hopes for Kershaw because this kid's already beginning to become something special. Take Andruw Jones and Schmidt. :tongue2:

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  17. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
  18. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Dodgers may have interest in Randy Johnson - Sports Rumors - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Not sure if I want Brocail because Park's been solid in middle relief. I'd rather re-sign Park. Johnson may be an interesting choice if the Sabathia or Peavy talks are dropped.

19. Samphin

The name Randy Johnson brings a smile to my face, but the reality of a 45 year old power pitcher who has broken down so uch over the past few years, does not.

One year deal for Randy. If they are hellbent on him, give a team option for year two. Otherwise, no thank you.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  20. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Rumors are that he is asking for a 1-2 year deal. He was willing to give the Douchebacks 50% off so he may do the same for the Dodgers. 45 years old but his value will come from mentoring the young blood we have much like Maddux.

21. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    And the Boras-Colletti war continues. Boras should give us a discount considering how much he owes us for the outlandish contract we gave for Andruw Jones.

I figured Blake was likely gone. He wanted to move back East so we never were interested. But he played well for us and I'm sad to see a vet like him leave. Most likely, with little 3B out there, Nomar could return for a 1 year stopgap.

22. Samphin

I wouldn't be surprised if Joe Crede ends up a Dodger. Just a hunch.

23. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Dodgers might be back in the running for Peavy. Read my link in the Padres thread.

Regan21286 and Samphin like this.
  24. Samphin

Hmmm, starting pitchers and middle infielders eh?

Shoot. I was kind of thinking of trading someone like Matt Kemp or Andre Ethier (one or the other) along with Jon Broxton (closer) and a starting pitching prospect.

I would be open to trading James Loney, provided that L.A. pursued Teixera, but that is a pipedream.

I wonder if a combo of Hu (shortstop/2B), Ethier (outfielder), James McDonald (starting pitching prospect) and a lower tier prospect would get it done?

Peavy and CC on the same staff would be amazing. Especially with Billingsley, Kershaw and Kuroda behind them.

25. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    The guy reeks of Andruw Jones for some reason in my mind. Certainly worth a look but just not getting good vibes here.

Getting Peavy and CC seems like a pipe dream. But if we're losing a top OF and/or infielder in the trade, we better find equal replacement fast. Looking at the series vs the Phillies, we really lost because our offense couldn't produce as well as our pitching let us down. We'll fix the latter, but I'm very worried about the former. Ramirez was the offense (responsible for 1/3 of our points against the Phillies and only man standing in the final game). No one on our team came close. Either "led" the team in HR's with 20 and Manny nearly topped that playing a third of the games for us. If we're going to return deep into the playoffs next year, it's going to have to be done with more offense than what we had pre-Manny, not solely pitching. We can't afford to get worse that that department. No offense and all pitching isn't going to take us too far. Phillies and Rays showed why.

26. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I dunno. I just think we're getting a guy who'll bat .250 and maybe 50 RBI's. Not very good plate discipline and certainly a bit injury prone. Not sure if I want to throw big money for that. In a weak 3B field, he could get something like that.

27. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    For a bargain maybe. But certainly not the $5 mil he got as a White Sox.

28. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Sounds reasonable but he certainly has to produce like his 06 season and lot like his 04. He has a good track record at Dodger Stadium but I would hope his chronic back issues are a thing of the past. Those kinds of things can always come back.

29. Samphin

Let me elaborate on Crede. I would NOT break the bank for him. At all. But an infield that should include, Russell Martin, James Loney, Blake DeWitt and possibly Hu at shortstop, will need, in my opinion, a veteran leader to lead them. Martin can do it from behind the plate, but I think they will need someone else. Crede can fit that bill.

I too worry about the offense is Manny goes. However, if he goes, the only other slugger that is out there worth going after is Teixera, and he is blocked at first by Loney. I prefer Tex though so if L.A. were to bring him in, I think Loney then becomes trade bait along with Broxtonr to try and nab Peavy. You sign Randy Johnson for a one year deal and you go to war with the following.

LF: Juan Pierre
    RF: Andre Ethier
    1B: Mark Texeira
    CF: Matt Kemp
    3B: Joe Crede
    C: Russell Martin
    2B: Blake DeWitt
    SS: Chin-Lung Hu
    Pitcher

SP Jake Peavy
    SP Randy Johnson
    SP Chad Billinsgley
    SP Clayton Kershaw
    SP Hiroki Kuroda

I would look for another big bat at the trade deadline as well.

30. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Andruw Jones....:shifty:

31. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Sabathia could get offer from Dodgers | MLB.com: News

32. DonShula84

DonShula84 Moderator Luxury Box

Jan 3, 2008
    I'd hate to see OC on the Dodgers tbh.

33. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I wouldn't mind. Though I prefer Furcal. :up:

34. Samphin

I think Fural's goose is pretty much cooked. He doesn't scare me and if he goes to the Giants, I don't think he will come back to haunt us really.

Orlando Cabrera is a stopgap at this point. I would be ok with giving Hu another shot at SS, but with DeWitt most likely starting at 2b or 3b and Loney still being a youngin, they probably want a veteran presence somewhere in the infeild.

35. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    I still think Hu needs another year before he's ready. Might as well get a guy like Cabrera for a 1-2 year contract.

36. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Dodgers never seriously courted CC | MLB.com: News

37. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    AP source: Furcal stays with Dodgers - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

Ok, that came out of the blue..... (pun intended). Well, looks like all we need now is a Manny type slugger and 1-2 starting pitchers.

38. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Some news pertaining to LA.

The Los Angeles Times reports that the Dodgers are working on a deal that would allow them to cut ties with Andruw Jones.
    The Times' T.J. Simers offers no details as to how this will happen, just that it will miraculously somehow save the Dodgers' $12 million. Dodgers GM Ned Colletti declined comment.
    Source: Los Angeles Times

Manny Ramirez-OF- Dodgers Jan. 1 - 9:38 am et

According to the Denver Post, the Giants "are quietly making an aggressive play for Manny Ramirez."
    How "quiet" is the "aggressive play" if a Colorado-based newspaper has the scoop on it? With the Dodgers looking like Ramirez's best option, perhaps agent Scott Boras is attempting to stir up a little bidding war.
    Source: Denver Post
    Related: Giants

Regan21286 likes this.
  39. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Yay to the first and maybe they can somehow fork that $12 mil onto the Mets. Talk about killing 2 birds with one big fat stone. :lol:

I'm pretty sure the Giants move is just Boras desperate attempt to churn the waters. Tried it with the Yankees and it's 9th inning 2 out for him and Manny right now.

40. Regan21286

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Kent Retires
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_y...slug=ti-kentretires012209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Props to Kent for being a true Dodger fan. Wanted to play for the Dodgers when he was a kid and did so.