1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The main thing I hate about Draft Day Coverage:

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by Da 'Fins, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    All the focus is on the teams' first round selections.

When will these guys end the superficiality of focusing on 1st round picks? They give lip service to the later rounds but spend so much time on the 1st pick - it's really irritating.

Winning and Losing franchises are largely the result of what teams do throughout the draft - not just round 1 (though it's not an unimportant pick). Just one anecdote:

In 03, the Giants took William Joseph in round 1 (household name these days :rolleyes: ). In later rounds they took Umenyiora (2), Diehl (5) and Tyree (6).

In 05, they had no first round picks and scored two stars in Tuck (3) and Jacobs (4).

anlgp, Bpk, FinNasty and 1 other person like this.
  2. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

I agree totally. ESPN is so bad about this. They can be announcing 2nd/3rd rounders in the background, and the talking heads are rehashing someone's 1st rounder for the hundredth time. :tantrum: :tantrum:

padre31 likes this.
  3. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Yup. But media serve the interests of the masses... and peoplke tend to care about hearing about players they know and watch in college games. Thus, a lot of the later round guys, who are less known, less highlight reel guys, get ignored.

I totally agree and wish I could find a draft preview service who's main GOAL was to focus only on later round guys.

Now there's a great niche no one is doing anything in. Be a draft site specifically for guys round 3 and below.

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Well, that used to be an issue, but with thephins and the threads and chats it's not so much of a problem, why listen to Kiper drone on when Youtube or draftguys has footage of selections you care about and there are scouting reports all over the internet?

And it's the worst, the Dolphins always get shortchanged, we have pick coming up, boom...out comes the commerical break, then whap..they interview some dude who was selected 10 picks beforehand and the Dolphins don't get any love for their brilliant selection.

Bpk and MrClean like this.
  5. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Anyone know if The Club Level is gonna have a draft chat room?

6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

I still haven't gotten any confirmation of where the chat will be, though people seem to want to have one. I think CK etc.are trying to figure it out now, so I hope it gets sorted before Saturday!