1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mentality of a Winning Football Team

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by KeyFin, Nov 30, 2017.

1. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    There has been a lot of hatred thrown at the Dolphins this year since a 4-7 record definitely is not what we were expecting. There's no doubt that we're struggling in several key positions and in many ways, there's no "plug and play" answer that can fix things tomorrow. This year sucks bigtime.

However, that's certainly not what I've seen on the field the past few weeks...our team is fighting like every week is a playoff game. The main criticism from coaches on the defensive side of the ball is that guys are pursuing so hard trying to lay folks out that they're missing tackles, and that's a very good problem to have. Why? It means your team is playing with tons of passion and trying to make a play that turns everything around.

For instance, we made a sensational play on our punt team last week when we laid out the receiver and fought for a loose ball. Plays like that don't happen for losers because they never put themselves in a position to make that happen in the first place. And I do realize that the refs gave the ball to NE, but the effort got our defense fired up and delivering some brutal hits of their own. Next thing you know, we're making 4th and 1 stands and frustrating the heck out of Brady....it was just too little, too late.

My point here is that despite a horrible season with tons of adversity, our team is still playing with a winning mentality and trying to make things happen. Imagine for a moment if someone like Suh or Cutler adopted the mentality of this website- our team sucks, the coach sucks, and we're doomed to be losers for eternity unless everyone is fired. Imagine how quickly we'd lose that competitive edge and flat-out fold in games down the stretch.

I thought it would be nice to have a conversation about these types of efforts on the field so this forum can adopt more of a "winning mindset" itself- that's what fans look for in a forum and we're certainly not delivering that lately. You'd think that any "fan" would want to help their team be more competitive....so maybe we can do that here?

ChrisKo and danmarino like this.
  2. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I agree. While extremely disappointed, I typically refer to myself when asked if I have a team as a long suffering Dolphin fan, I can see a change in the team. Clearly they need more talent. But it feel's different the way they play with much more passion.

KeyFin likes this.