1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Mets- A New Beginning 2011

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Nov 12, 2010.

1. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Bullpen needs to get better fast.

2. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    What a terrible series. Had 2-run leads in every single game going into the middle innings and blew all 4 games. I'm sick of Troy Tulowitzki and the outfield seems to have forgotten how to play defense. Infuriating.

Boik14 likes this.
  3. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Is it football season yet?

Izzy looks good, that's about all the good news I have.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    - The defense in general looked terrible all series in particular Willie Harris and Brad Eamus. If Eamus is going to botch easy double play grounders then just start Murphy cause at least we expect it from Murphy and and Murphy can hit.

- Bullpen has the worst ERA in baseball and the most innings logged

- Pedro Feliciano has netted us the 44th overall pick in the draft as a compensatory pick. Not bad for a guy with a torn capsule in his throwing shoulder and may require season ending surgery. Good move by Alderson not resigning him. The Mets own the Nos. 13, 44, 71 and 101 selections.

- Chris Young is missing todays start for DJ Carrasco; Young has shoulder tendinitis but is going to make his next start. Need to keep him healthy as he has been our best pitcher by far.

- Capuano did not pitch badly yesterday. The aforementioned error by Eamus killed him. There were a ton of cheap hits that inning and that was just icing on the cake. I like him as he strikes out batters and you can never have too many lefties that cap pitch.

- Jenrry Mejia pitched 6 scoreless innings last night. Meija, Matt Harvey and Jeurys Familia have all looked excellent and the Mets finally have some young power arms for the first time in a long time. Meija's slider has improved tremendously from what I am seeing and if things dont change quick in our rotation and pen Im guessing he will be up sooner then later. Harvey is getting a ton of strikeouts and when hitters are making contact the ball is not leaving the infield. While hes only in high A ball he is a 4 pitch pitcher who is putting himself on the fast track to compete for a roster spot next spring training.

- K-Rod has 3 games completed...52 more and his 17.5M option vests for next year. Yuck.

- Jose Reyes should be playing his way right in to a contract extension. If this regime trades him the only thing I want to know about coming back our way is a top flight pitcher like a Felix Hernandez or a Matt Cain. You simply cannot find Gold Glove caliber shortstops who hit 300(ish) and can change a game with speed or power. Get him signed Sandy.

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  5. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    While Reyes has been playing well, he still can't get the big hit ans still refuses to steal bases when we need him to steal.

6. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    How can the Mets sign him to a contract extension when they don't have any money? Reyes is probably looking at a Carl Crawford type deal 7 to 8 year deal worth around $140 million or so, I can't see the owners signing off on that based on everything that's been reported already. I know they're going to have Beltran and KRod off the books next year but there are rumors of the Mets payroll closer to 100 million, possibly lower. Not sure that's a realistic option unless they can find someone to take Jason Bay and Santana's contracts off their hands.

And a team trading for 3 or 4 months of Jose Reyes isn't trading a Felix Hernandez or Matt Cain type pitcher back to the Mets. The Mets will most likely receive prospects back, how good those prospects are will depends on who's looking for a SS in June/July.

7. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Hes hitting what, 320 or 330? Christ...everything he doesnt do is what gets magnified. He could be asked not to steal in certain situations for all we know.

Who says they dont have any money? The rumor about the 2nd loan being denied by MLB was flat out denied by Bud Selig on Mike and Mike this past week. I mean, yes I have wanted the Coupons to sell the team for years because yes I would much prefer Mark Cuban but where is all this no money stuff coming from?

8. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Seriously? Just read a newspaper. They're trying to get investors to buy part of the team, they're currently being sued for 9 figures because of the whole Madoff mess, they didn't spend a penny this off season, there's rumors of them cutting payroll to under 100 million next year, tickets sold for this year is way down meaning their revenue is going to be lower, etc. The franchise is in trouble.

9. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Come on Matt, he never hits in the clutch or steals a base when its needed, its been like that for a few years. Collins has said he has a green light.

He is playing stellar defense right now, but needs to be more aggressive on the bases.

10. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    We have to keep Gee in the rotation, the heck with the retreads, go with youth!

Rocky Raccoon and Boik14 like this.
  11. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    I dont read newspapers because the majority of those writers seem to have less of a clue then I do. Additionally, much of what they and you have written was already proven as false. I much prefer Metsblog since Cerrone is more well connected and makes a hell of a lot more sense.

The tickets is no secret but its because of their underperformance as a franchise. The problem is they are quickly being viewed as the new Knicks (i.e. the Knicks from the Isiah years) which is not far off from the truth. People are down on them and with good reason.

He has what 6 or 7 steals Greg? What do you propose we deal him for? Prospects? This is New York. If they want to have the price tag of a big market team for seats then you better have the payroll and record of a big market team. I dont want to know about deal Reyes for prospects unless the prospects you are referring to are Mike Trout (anaheim) or some elite pitching prospects of that caliber. Youre talking about dealing a top 15 player for prospects in New York! Thats insane. Id sooner deal Wright. You just cant find good shortstops who can do everything.

12. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Well, I don't know if we can sign him and it depends on how Ruben Tejada, Wilmer Flores and Reese Havens (If he can stay off the DL) progress. If you can get back some pitching prospects, I think they pull the trigger if one of the mentioned above SS get there act together.

13. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Tejada is the only guy in the bunch that has a real shot at sticking at the SS position. Havens has already been moved off the position and like you said needs to stay healthy for a full year first and scouts say that Flores' future is at 3B, 1B or at a corner OF spot since he doesn't have good footwork/slow feet and he's not very athletic but the kid can hit so his bat will play at any of those corner spots..

14. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Agreed, Havens was drafted as a 2B and has been playing 2B when healthy. I still think he may end up being a late bloomer. Hes always put up numbers when hes been available.

If Tejada hits more then his weight he could end up as our SS if Reyes gets dealt. The reason I say could is because Alderson views 2B as an offensive position so I have to wonder how he feels about SS which could leave the door open for Flores if Reyes were to be traded.

By the way, according to Metsblog the Mets sale for up to 49% of the team is nearing completion. They dont speculate who the buyers are but say they arent hurting for candidates. Im hoping for Mark Cuban and not Donald Trump (who bankrupts everything he touches). I wont miss the Coupons.

15. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    I think Mark Cuban owning a baseball team would be great but the other owners and the MLB offices will never allow him into the circle since the last thing they want is a mini-Sternbrenner spending tons of money on players and increasing salaries, plus they don't want the head aches he'd cause. Which is unfortunate since I think he'd be an excellent owner as he has the track record for actually caring about how the team does and not just about the bottom line. If Cuban was able to buy the Cubs or even the Pirates which has been long rumored he would turn that city and franchise around, it's a shame.

As for him buying part of the Mets, it would certainly be interesting, although a long shot. It would be very entertaining and I'd love for him to have full control of the team as his media battles with the Yankees would be great.

16. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Cuban was on mike and mike a few weeks ago, pretty sure he grew up a mets fan. He has a passion for sports certainly and I agree he definitely cares about his team in Dallas. I'm sure the players union would support it for all the reasons you mention lol.

17. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Emaus is gone, looks like Turner maybe the new 2nd baseman.

Omar would have waited another month.

18. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Im guessing Murphy will get the lions share of the AB's for now with Turner getting the occasional start.

Stat of the day: "According to BIS, the Mets’ defense has cost them 23 runs, seven more than the next closest team,” Brian Costa of the Wall Street Journal explains, along with four other concerning stats about the team." That is pathetic. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703916004576271233070912752.html

19. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think Murphy is kind of in the dog house, Turner was in fact the best 2nd baseman in camp for the spring, but had options.

I still can't figure out what Murp was doing trying to steal third the other night.

20. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    encouraging! (Reaching for any good news!)

21. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Bay is due back Thursday. Which is good because the offense frankly stunk last night

22. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Might be one of the best Sports rants ever...

As an aside of more bad news department:

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/mets/post/_/id/20026/farm-report-ratliff-rebounding-from-eye-injury

23. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    “We have to find a way to be honest with ourselves about what kind of team we are. We can’t just keep telling ourselves, ‘Oh, we’re a better team than this.’ We may not be. And we’ve got to be honest about that, and identify what we’re doing wrong, and do it better. That’s the only way you have any real growth.”

R.A. Dickey

The first Met to speak the truth!

Boik14 likes this.
  24. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Jason Bay has been activated from the disabled list after going 6-for-12 with two homers during a brief minor-league rehab assignment at high Single-A and he’ll bat fifth in the Mets’ lineup tonight against the Astros

My son got lower level seats for 13 bucks for this game.

25. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Hopefully Bay's return provides a spark. Man, do we need one.

26. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Break up the Mets! 9 runs!!!!!

27. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That was a breath of fresh air. What a performance all around. You could tell Terry wanted to get thrown out of the game to try and jack up the team.

I'm impressed with Capuano. Even his one bad start was a result of awful defense.

Wright finally busted out of his slump with a big night. Bay looked pretty good out there and Davis hit a BOMB passed the apple in dead center. For good for Mike Nickeas hitting his first career home run.

Need to keep it going now.

28. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Why???? Fernando Martinez should come up and play.

Edit: what a surprise, Martinez is on DL! uggg

29. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Pridie was brought up because of he's the best defensive CF'er the Mets have in the minors.

30. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    He was called up because Martinez is injured.

31. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Pitching is coming together, nice outing by big Pelf, and Izzy is looking good and just maybe the 8th inning guy now.

32. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    That was a bomb by IKE!!!! Man he hits long homers!

33. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    What a coincidence, the last 7 games we have the starters going almost 7IP per start and the bullpen era is nearly a full 2 runs lower (4.24 to 2.4) and we moved from last to 23rd in bullpen era.

Gee is getting sent down but if Niese pitches like crap again he may be the one to go down next. Hes pitched poorly in every outing but 1.

Ike Davis is an animal. Anyone who cant see this clearly does not watch Mets games. Hes been hitting rockets all year and now hes elevating them.

Pelfrey pitching well at home is no surprise, his home road splits are both encouraging and disturbing throughout his career. He is terrible on the road and in the division but looks like an all star in Taxpayer Field. Career Home: 3.58ERA/1.34WHIP/.264BAA Away: 5.57ERA/1.66WHIP/.312BAA

Chris Young is back on Tuesday. Always good to have the guy who has been your best pitcher back.

Bay looks like what we expected him to be last year. I look forward to watching him as the year goes on and expect him to be the consistent 25-35 home run slugger hes always been.

Hopefully we can get win #4 in a row today...

34. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Gee is staying now, D.J. Carrasco to Triple-A Buffalo.

35. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    Since "Stanley" was sacrificed, things have indeed made a turn for the better. Glad to see the young arms stay, and getting Bay back really has changed the lineup batting order. Right now, its clicking in Metsville, but lets see how they fair this coming week....do damage against WAS, then hold your own vs PHI

Boik14 and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  36. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    4 wins in a row!

37. Boik14

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Past homestand 7 IP/2.63ERA/243 BAA per outing. Pitching, pitching, pitching. Its not complicated to figure out, just gotta get the performance. The starting pitching is performing and as a result taking pressure off the pen and the offense.

38. NJFINSFAN1

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    Now they have to win the Nats series all it was all for nothing.

39. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That's 5 in a row!

Team is playing great as a whole right now.

40. Ray Finkle

Ray Finkle Member

Dec 9, 2007
    It doesn't hurt getting to play Arizona and Washington either, but hey you got to beat who you're scheduled to play right?