1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The "new" Davone Bess....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by CANEPHINS, May 22, 2012.

1. CANEPHINS

CANEPHINS No Tats & Dreads Allowed

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I tip my cap to him for getting rid of the dreads. You are a professional, look professional. Can't do anything about the tats, but just getting rid of the dreads is a good look.

Will it make him a better player? Who knows. Will it mean he is taking things a little more seriously and is more focused? I think there can be some of that coming into play. Is he faster without the extra 5 pounds of hair? No doubt!

[​IMG]

I like where he is at right now and maybe he could take that next step in this offense. I hope so.

PhinsRock, CashInFist and Boik14 like this.
  2. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Link please? I had to shorten the copied part (pesky copyright laws and stuff). Thanks for posting it, its a good read.

3. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think you're overstating the dreadlocks angle.

finyank13, dolfndav34, Trowa and 27 others like this.
  4. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Tats and dreads make someone less professional? O boy.

dolfndav34, phins17, WharfRat and 7 others like this.
  5. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Not at all. IMO, no NFL player should have visible hair from under the helmet. This goes for the Clay Mathews of the game as well as the Larry Fitzgerald's.

You get the Sean Smith's of the game that are more concerned about how getting his hair did than how he plays. The constant taking of the helmet off to reposition it because of your hair/dreads is shameful. Not to mention that players are not wearing properly fitted helmets because they have to add in room for the hair. Don't believe me? Look at the number of helmets popped off last year on the college level. This was largely attributed to the dreadlocks that so many players are sporting.

Jarvis Jones of Georgia lost his helmet 12 times in one game. 12 TIMES! Why? Because it isn't properly fitted to make room for the dread locks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do other player with normal haircuts lose their helmets? Sure. I would say from the amount of football I watch that it is about 70/30 in favor of dreads to normal on helmets popping off.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    I won't hire someone based off of that. You have visible tats and dreads, don't even think about working for my firm.

7. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Your firm probably doesn't employ people dedicating their lives to sport and entertainment I gather? If so, it's apples and oranges.

Trowa, GARDENHEAD, MrClean and 4 others like this.
  8. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    The dreads and the helmet I can see for safety reasons but the visible tats thing is ******ed, imo.

And sure there's a difference between just having regular well-done tattoos and having gnar kill on your knuckles or skulls and spiderwebs everywhere.

9. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Doesn't really matter. I know plenty of highly intelligent people with prominent jobs that have a lot of ink.

The fact that people think it has something to do with a person's intelligence is frightening.

10. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    You bring up a good point regarding the hair and the helmets etc., but to correlate a hair do with professionalism is misguided IMO. Maybe Bess has a higher regard for his own safety? Maybe he was tired of the maintenance? Maybe he lost a bet? He was always professional IMO though, and this new hair style doesn't change my opinion of him either way.

Trowa, dolfan7171, Firesole and 2 others like this.
  11. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Sometimes, I get tired of living with hipsters and hippies. Then I see things like this and realize that are places were people still care about nonsense* like this, and I am content with Portland. Thanks for once again reminding me that the grass is not greener.

*with the exception of the saftey stuff. That is legit.

Last edited: May 22, 2012
    eltos_lightfoot and MrClean like this.
  12. FinNasty

FinNasty Alabama don’t want this... Staff Member Club Member

Dec 1, 2007
    This is a ridiculous topic. He's now going to be a better player, more focused, and more professional b/c of a haircut?

These guys aren't working in a firm. They're working on a football field. Bess has been a fantasic professional during his career, with or without dreads.

Trowa and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  13. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    I can already see that this thread is going to turn into something that wasn't intended. I'll just say I'm interested in seeing how Davone fits into this new offense because even though he's a good RAC player I'm not sure he's enough of a mismatch player to compel Joe Philbin to keep or feature him. But then you think about Ryan Swope's role in the Texas A&M offense and you can't help but think of Davone Bess as a similar player.

14. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

In a normal business, yes they make the appearance of being less professional. That said, the NFL isn't exactly normal businesses. How he conducts himself on and off the field say tons more than what style of hair he wears. For the most part, most fans couldn't pick out hardly any players out of a lineup because we pay the most attention to them when they are wearing their uniforms and helmets...

Now, has the young man had some sort of maturity burst and is acting more like an NFL player because he cut his dreads...doubtful...if he is acting more like a pro, we won't be able to tell until we see him play again in August and going forward... Personally, other than perhaps not taking care of his body during the lockout, I didn't have a problem with him and his professionalism before the dreads were cut off...

Maybe he feels he has to 'make a fresh start' or something and that's fine and I look forward to seeing it, but I won't be able to tell that because he cut his dreads...

15. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Maybe 30 years ago, but the times they are a changin.

Thankfully.

Trowa and WharfRat like this.
  16. TiP54

TiP54 Bad Reputation

Nov 25, 2007
    Live from the Internet.
    Make sure to make another "new" thread on McDaniels and Sean Smith too then, since they cut their hair, who knows, maybe they'll be more professional too :rolleyes:

Trowa likes this.
  17. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Ink is fine, as long as it isn't visible.

Perfect example of this is Kevin Durant.

[​IMG]

He has made the effort to keep his image clean. He doesn't want kids out there to see him with tats, he doesn't want to lose the marketing aspect as well. He has a clean image and wants to keep it that way.

That said, he slipped up this past off season and was seen without his shirt on.

[​IMG]

Again, no big deal since he keeps them pretty much hidden during games, advertisements, and times when he needs to look "professional".

18. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He'll be more aerodynamic.

19. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Did they both cut the dreads?

20. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    [​IMG]

Clark Kent and BlameItOnTheHenne like this.
  21. Larryfinfan

Well, if that's the point of the thread, you're right...It'll be tough for him to fit in...however, we said that of him when he joined us as an UDFA that he would struggle at this level mainly because of his lack of speed. He's been fairly successful in that role so far. But as you said, this is a different role and his lack of speed could become an issue...YAC is the main focus for WRs in the WCO...but if he can't get away from coverage even tho he's catching the ball, the focus will go to other receivers or TEs to create more mismatches...

22. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think durant is just like that. The guy drives a tricked out minivan lol

23. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Jordan is Mr. Marketing in that regard.

Zero tats, to my knowledge.

24. Larryfinfan

Not in most peoples' eyes....particularly those involved in creating management level jobs for kids... They are changing...slowly. I just can't picture a 55 yr old Davone Bess with the dreads as the spokes person for my company... Then again, if he's half as smart as I think he is, he won't be needing that job when he's 55 anyway...

25. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
  26. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    Has Davone always been that ripped? Screw the haircut, it looks like he's been working out this offseason.

dolfan32323 likes this.
  27. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He must be way better at his job bc of it.

28. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    He def looks more ripped. Working out with those ropes is no joke either.

29. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Most people your age maybe.

I'd kind of think that a spokesperson should be judged more on... speaking.

30. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    Idk why I'm acting surprised though, people vote for Romney bc, "he looks like a president" so why should this be any different lol

Trowa, MrClean and unluckyluciano like this.
  31. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

Wow, talk about somewhat of a hot button issue.

I have tattoos, visible ones too, and I am fairly successful in the business world. I also have longer hair, I would be willing ot bet that you would find no one in any of my client's firms or within my own office that didn't say I wasn't professional.

The helmet/safety thing is somewhat legit, but the rest is just nonsense. And I Agree with whoever brought up that the haircut isn't as important as how in shape the guy looks. The fact that he has taken strides to get his body into greater shape is what makes him a professional, not the hair or the tats.

I can't believe there are people out there that still judge people with tattoos like that. Hilarious.

Trowa and TiP54 like this.
  32. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So let's recap then.

We have Bess looking like he's worked out more. Smith has been noted as being thicker and working out this offseason. I think there have been reports of Dansby doing the same. Is it me or is this new regime really having an impact on how our players are working out and coming in before training camp?

33. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You two are on opposite ends of the spectrum, truth is likely in the middle, as usual.

You can have a few tats or some dreads and pull off a good first impression, but in my experience, you have to also come across as really sharp or good looking.
    If you're an average Joe who is good, but not great, the dreads and tats will only pull you down relative to your competition.

CashInFist and CANEPHINS like this.
  34. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Yeah man. I used to be an 'A' student too before dreadlocks. When I started my econ degree, with dreads, I went from A all the way to A. And those economics conferences I never went to with short hair and started to get invited to with dreads...inexplicable.

Trowa and Sethdaddy8 like this.
  35. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    His job on the court, there was none better.

Look at someone like Iverson. Do you think Iverson would rise to the level Jordan has? No.

A lot of times with the tats and the dread comes the baggage. Like it or not, the reason these people do this to themselves is for the attention. Iverson isn't built like Jordan with the business sense. If he was he wouldn't have gotten tats on his neck.

Look at this class act. Chris Anderson.

He came into the league looking like this:
    [​IMG]

He now looks like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When the fame and money run out (and the money will run out), what then will he do? What profession or line of work is he up for after he is done playing basketball? Other than being a bartender, a roadie, or working in a tat parlor....his options are slim and none.

36. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    I think judging a potential employee based on looks is very shallow and counter productive. Yes, you can say "well this guy really takes care of himself" or "wow dude take a shower". Saying however, "This guy has a haircut I associate with criminals" or "This guy has tatoos" etc, is overkill. Tatoos and dreadlocks, as well as other things are trends. I think barring they are not willing to coverup if needed, say you are meeting with an overly conservative client, I see no problem if they qualify for the job. It's pretty arrogant to assume you can ascertain a persons worth merely on if you agree with the current trend they are following or moving counter to.

37. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    Didn't say it was associated with anything other than being unprofessional.

You are the one that is assuming.

38. CANEPHINS

Jan 4, 2009
    Savannah, GA
    And people voted, or didn't vote, for Obama because he is black.

39. slickj101

slickj101 Is Water

Dec 21, 2007
    NY
    lol Christ. So why is the money going to automatically run out?

O right, that's because you've already assumed that since he has tattoos, he must have no business sense. Not that it'd take a whole lot of business sense to properly invest any of the millions he's made.

40. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    The art and science of training a professional athlete, those who get it will reap the benefits, Davone Bess gets it, lets hope this offseason he has efficiency in his training along with proficient supervision.

Maybe cutting the dreads was a sign of dedication to his training, he wanted to feel sleekness, so he could be, the BLACK NINJA!!

Seriously, I love this, it equals success and lowers risk.