1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The offense has to be feeling good about itself

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Sep 22, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Lost in all of the disappointment of a MNF loss, what may be overlooked is our offense must be brimming with confidence after the spanking it received in Atlanta.

Check this out:

1. Ronnie his highest yardage total since 2005 vs the Bears
    2. the Oline was making more pancakes than the local IHOP
    3. Ted Ginn set a career high in receptions
    4. Chad Pennington answered critics with a Pennington like performance
    5. Lou Polite got off the snide and was an effective down the field blocker as well as showing mastery of picking up the 3rd and 1
    6. Anyone else recall the preseason talk of Ricky Williams losing a step? He looked great and ran with speed and power, his 69 yds was a nice compliment to Ronnie Brown's big night
    7. Pat Cobbs had a solid night returning kicks.

After scoring just 7 pts in Atlanta, the offense responded and had a great game, and some of our weapons were relatively quite guys like Greg Camarillo and Devone Bess had solid but quite games.

Next up San Diego who has proven to be vulnerable to the run.

Disnardo, Bpk, anlgp and 1 other person like this.
  2. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Yes he did, he verified the fact that he is an extremely limited QB, who without the wildcat and two great RB's, would be playing stop gap or back up QB on another team....as he will be next year

He also verified that "Chad gives us the best chance to win".....is a worn out, meaningless catch phrase at this point.

3. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Its not offense but I liked our kick coverage....they really raised their game last night.

4. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    So you say, to me 1 meaningless Int on the last play of the game is the only real performance flaw he had last night.

We did hold the ball for 3qtrs, or do you account that to mere luck?

5. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    I account that to having some great RB's....Chadley Checkdown had a decent game considering who he is. Doesn't mean anything has changed...........he's still a journeyman, stop gap QB.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    He was the runnerup in the MVP voting, one can argue with the voters of course, and his accuracy is unquestioned, and he compliments our offense.

Which BTW, dominated the game, with Pennington as the Qb..

late again and dolphindebby like this.
  7. Hobiesailor

Hobiesailor Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Chad was being chad last night, which is a pretty good qb.

However, we lack that sudden strike ability. the annoucers were talking last night that we don't have an explosive, large play person out there, which can be partially blamed on chad not being able to air it out with huge amounts of speed on the ball, which has always been the knock on him. Now, to i want to see henne, no not yet. But we have one or two more games lost because we really don't have a quick strike weapon, i think we need to see what henne can do.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, Ricky and Ronnie can take it to the house.

I don't want to see Henne, I want to see someone step up fill David Martin's roll, we have a "good" all around Te in Fasano, and a blocking Te in Haynos, we don't have that seam splitting Te that was Dmart.

Without him, we have one vertical player in Ted Ginn which points out the problem with Hartline, Bess and Camarillo, they are too similar of players good route running Wr with great hands but no ability to take the ball upfield.

Except I cannot say that with 100% certainty about Hartline.

9. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Pennington is limited, and he is accurate, too. But right now he seems more limited and less accurate than most of last year. That's not good.

adamprez2003 and jdang307 like this.
  10. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    journeyman? he's been on two teams?

although Chadley Checkdown...i like that. :lol:

jetssuck likes this.
  11. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    2 games in I'd say Penny is ahead of where we were last season.

I also think we are going to see lots of Jumbo Formations, our offense finding it's identity as a power running team means blockers will have precedence over players with a bit more big play upside.

Which is fine, but this is not going to be the Run and Shoot we are looking at, think of those great Giants and Redskins teams...40 runs per game...

adamprez2003 and Bpk like this.
  12. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Absolutely not....

He's propped up by the wildcat and the punishing runs of R & R.

Had Checkdown Chad been asked to duel it out with Manning last night, he would have likely maintained his TO rate of the past couple games and we would have lost by no less than 3 TD's..

You're only going so far in this league when the most important position on the field is manned by a guy that limits the unit he leads..

13. whiskeyCoke72

whiskeyCoke72 Active Member

Sep 22, 2009
    O-Line and Jake Long stepped it up! IHOP

We beat 98% of the teams in this league with that performance last night! We beat the other 2%, 70% of the time with that performance! Hell we would of beat the Colts last night if they had played conventional huddle (no excuse I'm just saying), if the defense has time to set we stop em!

I feel alot better about this game than the Atlanta game.

dolphindebby likes this.
  14. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    yeah im very happy for Big Jake. Way to shut people up last night. Of course Freeney just had to be there for the broken down play to get the gimme sack. but we all know that wasnt on jake.

dolphindebby likes this.
  15. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is projection and little else, Penny's job is to make competent throws, run the offiense, and not turn the ball over and let R+R and Cobbs do the heavy lifting.

"likely" means nothing at all.

16. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Same here, on Offense and Special Teams, the Defense was great in Atlanta and horrid on Monday, get that straightened out and we can do some things.

Manning was sacked 14 times in 08 with a makeshift Oline, we got him once last night but we did not have people around him consistently as well as poor tackling and maybe a poor scheme that Manning simply raped the Safeties with, fixable problems, but still.

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I loved that one run by Ronnie where he had two guys on him and still kept on going.

Chad should have gotten rid of the ball hell if no one is open just throw it out of bounds and live to fight another day.

18. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    I agree Padre... nice post...

I cannot believe that we have many that blame the Offense our some of its parts for the loss yesterday...

It rests solely on the Defense... I kind of looked at stats and IMo proved it in Nabos Thread...

padre31 likes this.
  19. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    And yet on the last play he threw a duck into coverage....

The fact is....with Penny at QB and no time left to prop him up with the wildcat or running the ball, we'd have had just as much chance to make a comeback if he had just taken a knee....

20. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    That is a ridiculous statement. Penny did get the offense down the field and put the ball right in the hands of Ted Ginn who dropped the pass. If not for the terrible playcall and clock management at the beginning of the drive I'm willing to bet Miami gets into the endzone.

Disnardo likes this.
  21. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    ok ok....lol.......I'll admit that was a little bit over the top. But not much....

Penny scares no one but those of us hoping to beat a good team...

22. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    'Nardo, I rewatched the game focusing on D Thomas, Lou Polite and Joey Haynos and brother, they were crushing people in space, particularly Polite.

Jake Long hand punched a Colts DE so hard the dude lifted slightly and basically fell back into the blocking pile, the Offense came out ready to punch people in the mouth and did all game long.

We also took advantage of Freeney and Mathis's desire to play the run as they headed upfield RW and Ronnie simply cut inside their rush and headed upfield.

I know 23rd calls them "the Orca Five" but they reminded me of the Redskins' Hogs Oline.

Disnardo likes this.
  23. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I'm sorry, I must disagree. He had that terrible sequence where he was sacked, threw into triple coverage with Ginn, then almost throws a pick six. Maybe not in one drive, but it was pretty bad. If that pick six that should have been made gets made, I mean, this ugly game is even worse.

we hold onto the ball for 3 quarters because of smash mouth football. We just need to have 2-3 explosion plays a game. We didnt' get that.

Disnardo and jetssuck like this.
  24. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't know Padre. Penny has 3 turnovers vs. 1 last year, and we're still 0-2. If we're ahead of where we were last year it wasn't his numbers! :lol:

25. jetssuck

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    Heading into game 3 we're in pretty much the same position as last tear.....wildcat or bust

26. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Can you believe that Manning also had 2 bad drives...can you believe it??? I was shocked... sarcastic moment...:sad:

Sorry JD...

but Manning had just had the ball with excellent FP at the Colts 40, he takes a sack 1st play, throws for about 7 yards (ala Penny) and throws an incomplete on 3rd Down on this drive...

Then Manning throws a pick (what should have been a pick) into double coverage, but of course it is our safety who drops the easy INT... then the Colts still score a FG on this drive... Can you believe Manning threw into double coverage???

No one plays a perfect game, the QB position, has allowed for errors, even Marino had his, Montana, Young, Brady, you get the picture I am sure...

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    We scored 14 and 10 pts in the first two games.

And CP's Game 2 interception was on the final play into the endzone.

As for the contention that it is wildcat or bust, we are third in the NFL in rushing and even the non wildcat plays were averaging 5.3 yds per carry.

In Atlanta we averaged 4.9 ypc as well.

Disnardo likes this.
  28. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the offensive line took a giant step in the right direction, our running game was where it is supposed to be, Pennington was on his game, unfortunately, our receivers were horrible, defensive line mediocre &secondary (especially safety) sucked

Disnardo likes this.