1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the offensive line continues to be an epicenter of worries

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Sep 7, 2015.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    the offensive line continues to be an epicenter of worries:
    1) how long will Albert last this season? he made it to November last year.
    2) not stable & inexperienced at either guard positions.
    3) Pouncey got dinged up last preseason & had a difficult season at guard last year. bad luck or getting old?
    4) serious lack of depth.
    5) we have an acceptable & improving rt if we don't have to move him to fill in a hole.

as the line goes so goes the game...

Da 'Fins likes this.
  2. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    I'm not worried.
    Yet.

3. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I find it humorous that there is an "epicenter" to your worries.... Especially considering how effective the offense has been. This is one of those things where we must realize every team has weaknesses, not just their own. And to have that weakness be your RG and backup LT, your doing something right. Dallas Thomas gets no respect as a guard here because he struggles when forced to play out of position at tackle. The fact that we're seem prepared to succeed without Albert this year is also overlooked. We'll take him back when he's ready, no sooner.

Piston Honda likes this.
  4. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    It seems like to me, that you're making assumptions on the small sample of preseason action, and extrapolating that into truth, the offense hasn't been "so" effective, they've managed a few TD drives against poor competition, and when Tanne played a half against what was the worst defense in football last year we put up 7, so they haven't been stellar.

Both OGs have made A LOT of mistakes in their limited time this preseason, drive killing mistakes, an OG who is OK 85% of the time, in reality, sucks, these guys have proven nothing in a real game and you already have one of them anointed as "not a worry", not sure how you can come to that conclusion already.

Because there are those among us who are not convinced that 2 shaky OGs is going to be enough, is hardly striving to complain, it's looking at what has been, and potentially can still be a big problem for this team.

Phins_Fan_87 and the 23rd like this.
  5. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I bet no team is satisfied with their depth on the offensive line.

With Albert, though, I think ours is above average.

They may not be spectacular, but I'm actually happy with the depth at guard

I worry more about the tackle position if Albert gets hurt again.

Tampa Bay or Atlanta could be the worst.

6. Mcduffie81

Mcduffie81 Wildcat Club Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Lake Worth, Fl.
    Pouncey is getting old?

Tin Indian likes this.
  7. Phins_Fan_87

Phins_Fan_87 Phins and Heat fan Club Member

Mar 9, 2013
    Weston
    Not sure how anyone can be confident in our oline. Just hope they don't cost us games.

8. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

What worries me is that Madden rates our OL as...

Linkenbach 74
    Dallas Thomas 73
    Walton 72
    Brenner 72
    Ja'Wuan James 71

Oh no! Ja'Wuan James is worse than those scrubs! We are doomed.

Da 'Fins, Undisputed and btfu149 like this.
  9. Limbo

Limbo Mad Stillz

Mar 21, 2013
    It's weird, it seems that this year the vast majority of the teams you hear about or watch have issues on the OLine. It's like a League-wide problem. Some of the units (Tampa, Ten, AZ) looked truly horrific. Anyways, I think we have an OC who's clever enough to mitigate the issue, like he did last year. Lazor is huge.

10. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    I just started franchise today and this made me so mad! It starts Billy Turner at LG and Linkenbach at RG

Undisputed likes this.
  11. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    not worried, albert will be starting, james is in his 2nd year, pouncey is a good player, thomas has improved..anyone is better than what we had playing at right guard last year.

12. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Our OL has some issues? Ok. Thanks.

Finatik and Piston Honda like this.
  13. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    This is actually quite true. I cant find the article I read last week but it is true that there is a league wide problem with finding good Offensive Linemen. A great many teams are having the same problems we are and most of them seem to be in worse shape than us. The article tried to link it to college spread offenses and how it does not develop linemen somehow, which I found dubious. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on that could enlighten us some. But regardless of it's truth there is a problem.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    If your biggest concern is guard, then you're doing well and your team is looking good.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    wth cares, its week one, time to play ball..

Sceeto likes this.
  16. magicap

magicap Shonuff

Jan 21, 2012
    We haven't even played a game yet and the sky is falling. Did you ever think that Albert could be in mid season form in a few weeks?The guards got better by playing against our d-line through the preseason and they could grow? I understand the negativity. It has surrounded this franchise for so many years now. Most years I feel that way too but I am optimistic for this year. I see talent. I see playmakers. Let's do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    If Albert stays healthy, we'll be okay. That's a big IF, but it's possible.

18. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    I know right.....Welp....Tannehill and Lamar Miller are getting old, time to start looking for their replacements....Sheesh.
    All jokes aside our most problematic position of worry is our cornerback position. Grimes....is getting older, Taylor can't stay healthy, Davis is hit or miss, McCain is a third stringer who will eventually be forced to start, and Bobby McCain and Tony Lippet (I like both) are extremely green. We are also shaky at the safety position. An injury to Reshad Jones and **** will really hit the fan.

19. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    LOL

Love how some just blow this off and deflect by saying other teams have worse so not worried. WTF does any other teams OL have to do with the Hodge Podge mess they call a line here in Miami. We are going to get our ***' handed to us by half the teams we play. 4 of those games are going to come from within the division in the form of Buffalo and NE.

We are ok because we got Albert and Pouncy? What about the rest of the line and the rotation? Jesus guys we got most of the players no one else wanted - in fact half of them make league minimum($). If we were half of what some claim we are supposed to be Mathis would have signed here. Believe I read he took more then a million less to play elsewhere. This from a guy who is on his way out in a few years. Tells me everything I need to know about the status of the line.

20. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Why oh why can't we have probowl players at every position on the O Line? I think sometimes people are bi-polar when it comes to message boards. Half the time it's "why are we spending high picks on O Line when that's not a skilled position" and then the same posters are complaining like hell that very player on the O line is the worst ever. And the most hilarious one is because Madden, a video game, ranked them like that. They haven't even played a down, series or meaningful game in the 2015/2016 campaign yet. Too funny.

21. Da 'Fins

Da 'Fins Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

Dec 19, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    [​IMG]

P h i N s A N i T y and Kucha like this.
  22. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This line will be among the top reasons why this season either goes well, or crumbles.

resnor likes this.
  23. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    pretty sure he was being sarcastic about the Madden ranking.

Finster likes this.
  24. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Could be. But I've seen it before on this and other boards that it makes me think that some people think madden is actually a real barometer of how a team is going to do.

25. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I dont even know what to say to that. Lol

I always hated watching games with John Maadden. He annoys me. I always turned the sound down.

P h i N s A N i T y likes this.
  26. LBsFinest

LBsFinest Banned

Jul 24, 2012
    Maybe if that was your only concern...unfortunately for us the back 7 on defense is also full of question marks.

27. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Read what I wrote.

I said biggest concern. Not only concern.

I stand by it, if your BIGGEST concern is guard, you're doing well.

28. Piston Honda

Piston Honda Well-Known Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Are we gonna talk about what's needed to beat the teams on the schedule or just aimlessly poke holes in the roster?

29. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner.

Fin D likes this.
  30. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    Our biggest concern IMO is Philbin, not guard. He can lose us more games than a bad guard.

gunn34 and 2socks like this.
  31. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    Last time I went to Disney Land, I visited the Epicenter of Worries.

32. Finster

Finster Finsterious Finologist

Jul 27, 2013
    What is the biggest worry?

OGs?
    Philbin?
    Coyle?
    DBs?
    LBs?
    WRs? These guys have been anointed as a better group, but haven't proven that, I think Parker may be similar to Wallace, Tanne may not be able to take full advantage of his skill set. Parker is neither quick nor physical, which is why so many of his rec in college were contested, Tanne will have to read him open, and that is not Tanne's strong suit.
    Right now, we lack the dynamic deep threat Wallace brought, there isn't a WR on our roster that generates the bracketing and double coverage that he did, which allows teams to move a S into the box, to cover short routes and guard the run.

I think Parker and Jennings are better than Hartline and Gibson, but I think Stills is a huge downgrade from Wallace, and without the attention he drew, the offense might struggle.

33. jcliving

jcliving Active Member

Aug 19, 2014
    Thankfully, we do not have a deep threat that is incapable of catching the ball with his hands or incapable making a play on the ball. All of our deep threats make plays and catch ball. Good times ahead.

resnor likes this.
  34. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    How is Parker at all similar to Wallace? And we're arguing that Parker isn't physical? I haven't watched much of his college stuff, but I thought one of his strong points was using his size to go up and get balls from defenders? He's not fast like Wallace, and he's bigger and high points the ball.

Certainly sounds like the complete opposite of Wallace.

The only thing that Stills is a downgrade from Wallace in, is speed. And I don't think he's much of a downgrade there. They are completely different receivers. I guess it remains to be seen if he will play the same here as he did in New Orleans.

35. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    I don't think Wallace and Parker are alike, at all, but I don't believe Parker is a physical beat you up receiver. I think that argument has been made quite a bit. He can high point, but is not the most physical.

But while I agree they are not the same, that's not what Finster said. His wording isn't the most elegant, but he's saying Parker and Wallace may be similar in the fact that, each of their strengths correlates to a weakness of Tannehill. As in, Tannehill won't be able to take advantage of what makes the WRs good/great. It's explained right here:

It's a reasonable argument. College DBs were always on him, which is why one of his strengths in the scouting report you wrote was "Comfortable with a man on his hip."

Finster likes this.
  36. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How are you justifying the difference between Stills and Wallace as huge? What is it you're pointing to?

37. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    How are you even trying to put Stills in the same sentence as Wallace? Have you not seen the effect that Saints offense had on some other players? Lance Moore nearly put up two 1,000 yard seasons there.

Wallace is a proven commodity in the league with top end speed even Stills can't touch. Let Stills actually earn the praise.

Finster likes this.
  38. P h i N s A N i T y

P h i N s A N i T y My Porpoise in Life

Apr 19, 2012
    Treasure Coast, FL
    I just hurt myself laughing, thanks for that.

This is epic, and I wish it to be my Sig/quote... Thank you also.

We're way off topic now, but You seriously underestimate Kenny Stills bro.

39. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Read what I wrote again. I didn't praise Stills at all.

40. Rock Sexton

Rock Sexton Anti-Homer

Mar 14, 2015
    Hope so.