1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

the offensive line

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Sep 8, 2009.

1. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Very disappointing game,plenty of players to point at and plenty of room to improve.We started slowly last year and have to get it together next week .

Ducken likes this.
  2. finserg

finserg Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Linden,NJ
    Ricky really play really good

3. Georgia Fin

Georgia Fin Fin For Life

Nov 25, 2007
    West Georgia
    The unit formerly known as the Orca 5 has a new name, Owned.:pity:

MrClean likes this.
  4. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
  5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    they violated our offensive unit
    as the offensive line looked on without resolve

6. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    calm down dude. i think it deserves seperate discussion. You guys need to relax. Our preseason was misleading, bet thats never happened before. :lol:

FinSane likes this.
  7. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
  8. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    the curse of going 0-4 in the preseason :lol:

9. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    It's early. And I gotta believe they'll get better as a cohesive unit.

But it won't get easier. Atlanta is an aggressive, attacking unit that dominated us.

Next week we play Indy's Tampa 2, with Dwight Freeney testing Jake Long again. The following week we get San Diego's one-gapping 3-4 with Shawne Merriman, Shaun Phillips and Larry English outside.

Oh, and they both have elite offenses to punish you for not scoring points.

As Coach Sparano has said, time is not on our side.

the 23rd and FinSane like this.
  10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it is what it is
    as the offensive line goes, so goes the season
    Redundant? Maybe, but relative to everything Dolphin

you watched the game
    you can see what happened
    it is what it is

our offensive line collectively failed to win the line of scrimmage
    they failed to open holes & failed to protect the QB
    because they failed to do their job, we were never in the game

11. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Our offensive line couldn't beat off a high school defense today.

They were absolutely pitiful, and that ATL is not very good to begin with.

Hope somebody gets released this week, preferably Grover or Frowney

Bpk and the 23rd like this.
  12. FinSane

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Trade smiley and put Thomas at LG and Murphy at RG

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend FinSane:
    1) there will be tremendous & serious pressure brought to bare on this offensive line this week in practice.
    the problems were throughout the line not just the interior. our book ends were a laughing stock.
    Grove had the best game out of the lot & he played badly.
    they were simply terrible, beyond excuse
    unfortunately, they hold the key to the 2009 season in their collective hands. they must improve now.
    2) wouldn't surprise me to see Bonamego replaced by Darren Rizzi or Todd Bowles.
    SpecialTeams is an unresolved problem, demanding immediate attention.

14. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    wow we already want guys fired???

after 1 game???

Anonymous, Bpk, MrClean and 1 other person like this.
  15. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    we should hire the boise state coach :escape2:

and yes im joking before you guys start flaming me

16. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    not the type of performance im looking for from a 150 million dollar line. we better get better quick.

Bpk likes this.
  17. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It's not like poor oline play was something new for
    this game. Perhaps we do need a new oline coach.
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I know this:

Our Passrush shold be FAR superior to the Falcons, a they did pressure Ryan on a few occassions, other than those few, their O-line didn't have the same problems ours did

Bpk likes this.
  19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    am referring to John Bonamego (ST's Coordinator) not DeGuglielmo (OL)
    have been calling for the shake up since game two of the pre-season

20. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    The o-line did play very poor, but at the same time I feel that Pennington held the ball sometimes for way to long. Just MO.

Bpk and the 23rd like this.
  21. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    You really think after 1 game Grove and Smiley should be released? LOL

22. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend RBrown23:

heard this Pennington thing several times now:

1) look @ Pennington under pressure. he plays well. he has a consistent & evident track record. he doesn't fold or make many bad decisions. he handles the ball well & is one of the most accurate QB's ever to play the game. he didn't have a bad day, he had a bad offensive line which not only failed to pass block, but to open holes For the RB's to create a situation to open up the passing game. he was sacked four times & the ball turned over four times & hurried on almost every play. there was no running game for the run-first Miami Dolphins. what do you want him to do with the ball, eat it?
    2) we will live or die with this offensive line. it has been a major investment from day one & has to pan out or 2009 will be a disaster. I've said all along, I thought by game four the OL would be in stride. I still think so & you'd better hope that I'm right on this one.

3) had Chad Henne started this game instead of Chad Pennington, it may very well have relegated him to the BeckSeat. it could have destroyed him as surely as Beck was devastated when put into a game over his head. think about it.

siciliansith likes this.
  23. azfinfanmang

Nov 23, 2007
    I think they better start peerforming a hell of a lot br
    Better than they did today.

Did you not see both of them completely whiff on numerous blocks?

24. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    wow I've seen some pretty ridiculous posts in my time, but this one really blows me away.

I wonder if you've ever had a bad day. If you had a bad day at work, did you get fired?

And to call out those 2 guys and not Jake Long who got continuously manhandled all day long?

25. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Who are they? Don't know a Grover or Frowney on the team. :sad:

Even so, to release an offensive lineman based on just that game, would amount to a major knee jerk reaction. :no:

Also, I forget, how many fumbles did offensive linemen have for us in the game? :wink2:

the 23rd and Bpk like this.
  26. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    we **** the bed

mbmonk likes this.
  27. MrClean

So, in your opinion, weren't even in the game late in the 1st half, when Fasano fumbled in the red zone with the score just 7-0?

28. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

We're all upset, but I am sure no one is more upset at themselves than our O-line.

Expect them to look much more determined and angry next week.

Especially on National Television!!! We have to play well to get our pride back.

29. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Im in on this one, to early to panic !:knucks:

Bpk likes this.
  30. Califin

Califin Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Interesting how the OL could be so unsettled, new coach, but beyond the rust of Thomas and Smiley—who played thru most of 08—Grove's the only entirely new starter among them?

Got a sneaking suspicion DeGuglielmo may see some of Sparano's personal attention this week, while Sparano may see some of Parcells.

31. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    absolutely & for sure
    Sparano & Parcells will take a direct & personal interest in the offensive line
    DeGuglielmo will not have a free hand in the restoration of this unit
    too much at stake,
    there will be intervention

32. MrClean

There is no way Todd Bowles is made the STs coach. No matter what happens to Bonamego. For one thing, Bowles has never been a STs coach.

Granted the STs played poorly overall against Atlanta but firing an assistant coach after one game is not a logical solution. Bonamego had a solid track record before coming to Miami. Are our STs woes more due to his coaching or to personnel. He has no control over personnel.

The OL and STs are not the main reaaon we lost. The #1 reason we lost was our -4 in TO ratio. To go minus 4 in TOs will bring about a loss for any team in the NFL 95% of the time.

33. jetssuck

jetssuck I hear Mandich's voice...

Aug 4, 2009
    Perfectville
    1) What I would like is for him to be able to reach some of those WR's down field with the ball. What I would like is for ppl to stop making excuses for him, including our coach and realize that he's a very limited QB.

2) If this O Line doesn't pan out, the "disaster" will continue beyond 2009 and end when we no longer owe these guys any money and can afford to replace them.

3) Henne isn't Beck, he's not easily rattled like that. The sooner we know what we have in Henne the quicker we can gauge where we are and what direction we need to take. The only way that happens is for him to be named starter....IMO, the sooner the better

adamprez2003 likes this.
  34. MrClean

I've not seen a single sign from the play of the OL that indicates replacing old Mike Maser with DeGuglielmo was a wise decision.

And, if Bonamego is on the hot seat due to the play of the STs, as some here have suggested, then the seat should be wide enough for Gugs to have a place beside him

35. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    There's a reason Pennington was cut in favor of a 40 year Favre. There is a reason 20 teams were'nt beating down his door to sign him when he was cut. He's a limited QB who can run the ship effectively

Agree that the offensive line will dictate how we do. I expect us to play better next week. I pray we play better next week

No way would Henne be destroyed by playing in that game. Lets not pretend that every QB is as fragile mentally as Beck. Beck was a wuss. Henne showed his mental makeup after the tampa preseason game when he came back the next week and had a stellar outing

jetssuck likes this.
  36. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Get a grip:
    1) don't create illusions out of reality. Henne is an unproven commodity. He is an understudy, third string QB on game day. unfair to categorize Beck as being weak, both number #2's were tough & had good arm strength. Beck might have been a little more accurate. could have gone either way with that deal. Henne got the call but is no Chad Pennington & will never be another Dan Marino.
    the TriFecta saw more upside in schooling Henne under Pennington, but nobody knows anything until they have had their baptism of fire. Henne is an unproven understudy, not even near the top QB of his draft class in talent & has much to prove. anything can happen.
    2) say what you will but I know the problem is with the Offensive Line, as they go so goes the season. I hope by game four they have hit their collective stride. would be nice to win @ least one of the first four, if they turn around quickly two. however you cut it it begins in the trenches'
    3) like to give a big heads up for Ricky Williams & our front defensive seven in last weeks effort against the Falcons :up:

bashing Pennington is as ridiculous as smashing you hand in the car door:yes:it was the offensive line that failed

37. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    The offensive line was one of many problems with that game. As 23rd said, Ricky was about the only positive note of that whole offense.

The Offensive line did not cause 2 Fasano fumbles, nor Pennington's fumble either as he had time to throw the ball.

There are quite a few teams in the NFL who play with mediocre, if not awful Offensive Lines (They don't talk about Ben Roethlisberger's ability to shake off tackles for no reason) that still get the job done.

If the OL does a great job, it makes the game much easier. But in no way are they the only ones that need to step up their game. I really don't think Sparano, or any of the coaches are that near sighted.

I promise you that every player on that team got a serious dressing down when they reviewed that film.

Now on the positive note (and back to the topic specifically about the O Line), aside from just now showing up at all, the O line has no where to go but up, right? :)

38. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    Friend SeanP:
    you're right, they can only get better:up:

39. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    why do i always feel like you're going to try to sell me tickets to a monster truck rally on SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY when I read your posts :lol: j/k :up: I think you underestimate how ready Henne is and how good he could become but when you talk about the oline being the key you're spot on. Guess we'll see on MONDAY, MONDAY,MONDAY!

40. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    Ya, I also saw Matt Ryan miss 2 TD passes, and Dan Marino throw multiple interceptions in one game, and Jerry Rice dropped a bunch of passes.

Whats your point? Everyone has bad days. Suck it up, learn from your mistakes and move on.