1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

***The Official 2009 NHL Playoffs Thread***

Discussion in 'Other Sports Forum' started by unifiedtheory, Apr 12, 2009.

1. unifiedtheory

unifiedtheory Sub Pending Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Bruins v. Habs in round one...how typical.

Discuss your teams folks! I'm going to do some picks once the the match ups are set in stone. Of course feel free to do some of your own!

2. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I'm pulling for the Habs over your Bruins but no way it happens. This is the softest team in the playoffs by far and I would be surprised if the Habs can take it to 6 games

3. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Unless you are a Canadiens "Fan" I can't see why anyone would have rooting interest for them. The dive, they flop, they play dirty and they get favourable calls from the officials.

4. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    Schedule is set, here are my picks:

East

Bruins (1) vs. Habs (8) - Bruins in 6

The rivalry factor will come into play, that's why I'm saying 6 games. The Bruins are healthy and the Habs are not. The only way the Habs win the series is if Tim Thomas flames out or the Bruins get stupid (or the officiating is bad) and take a ton of penalties.

Habitals (2) vs. Rangers (7) - Habitals in 7

Henrik Lunqvist can and will steal games in this series. It should be interesting to watch the floppers (the Caps) take on a team with Avery. There will be more drama in these games then CBS has on Sunday night.

Devils (3) vs. 'Canes (6) - 'Canes in 7

The 'Canes have been smoking hot down the stretch. Eric Cole looks like he did 5 years ago and Eric Staal has been great. The Devils have not been good for the last 2 weeks. This will be a very good series.

Penguins (4) vs. Flyers (5) - Penguins in 7

This will be a war and probably the best series of all of them. I love rivalry series. I think in the end though, the Penguins high end talent will win out. All bets are off if either goaltender flames out or gets hot...which both are more then capable of doing.

West

Sharks (1) vs. Ducks (8) - Ducks in 6

Am I crazy? Maybe but the Sharks are legendary for their playoff egg laying. The Ducks have a TON of playoff winning experience and have been one of the best teams in hockey for the last month.

Red Wings (2) vs. Blue Jackets (7) - Wings in 5

Steve Mason will stand on his head and Chris Osgood will be mostly awful but the talent the Wings have up front will overwhelm the Jackets.

Canucks (3) vs. Blues (6) - Canucks in 7

The Blues? Really? They've been very good for 2 months but the Canucks have been better. The Canucks have every advantage in the series going in (accept for young legs). The Blues have given the Canucks fits all year though. I think it's a coin toss.

Blackhawks (4) vs. Flames (5) - Hawks in 6

The youthful legs and inexperience versus the veteran team. The speed team versus the grinding team. Normally the Flames have all the advantage in the series. I think the Flames play out of control though and if you do that against the Blackhawks they will kill you. Plus, Kipper has been pretty awful for about 90% of the year.

Flame away!

5. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    I'm really looking forward to this Bruins - Canadiens series.

On a side note Uni, it looks like Kessel has rediscovered his scoring touch right at the perfect time.

6. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    He is getting his form back. Bergy has been great the last 2 weeks as well.

As much as I think the B's will roll the Habs I have a tiny little bit if uncertainty gnawing at me....the uncertainty's name is Tim Thomas.

7. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

Thanks for giving my guys the "we're going to make you take it to 7 to beat us".

I think having six guys on a team who can score a **** load of goals is better than (at least the two I know of) guys who can score like crazy - to which i'm sure they have at least one or two guys i've never heard of that can get the job done and possibly more.

The flyers have been making me real nervous lately (I just posted a huge response in the NHL forum) and IMO if the flyers are to win this one they need to have A) a hot goaltender and B)high scoring production and C) they HAVE TO HAVE TO HAVE TO keep themselves OUT OF THE PENALTY BOX.

I'm nervous the flyers will get bumped because I think all three of these things need to happen and really I only see two happening at most - that of the high scoring production and goaltending. the flyers have been scoring all year long and at times their goaltending has been phenominal. biron has shown he can get it done in the playoffs but what is going to haunt them is the penalties in my opinion. With that being said I'll be damned if I'm going to give it to the penguins. i have no idea who wins this one but i'm going orange and black until I can't.

go flyers!

8. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    Rangers in 6. Lundqvist will dominate the series.

9. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba

The only team I always cheer for is whoever is playing the Leafs

I tend to cheer for every other Canadian team. Sure the Habs might dive but so do most teams these days.

The reffing goes both ways, the Bruins will get as many silly calls as the Habs do

10. anlgp

You wouldn't be saying that if you were a flyers fan. Damn zebras.

11. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    As always with this franchise, I'm cautiously optimistic.

I will say this though, Game 1 is extremely important for the Bruins. The Canadiens have owned us historically and I worry about the Bruins psyche, considering their recent early exits in April, especially if they fall behind in this series.

12. anlgp

damn refs are blind. pens are playing good. flyers are too just not well enough. first period still.

13. Jaydog57

Jaydog57 Canes/Fins/Magic fan

Jun 25, 2008
    Daytona Beach, FL
    I just moved to a suburb outside of Raleigh, NC and everybody up here is Carolina Hurricane crazy. I don't know much about hockey, but I guess I should wish them good luck against the Devils.

The instate Penguins & Flyers game must be a madhouse.

14. anlgp

any team that plays the devils deserve to be rooted for. hurricanes are a dark horse team out of the east

and yes, flyers pens game is nuts. reffing is a little more even now; and that's all that i ask. i don't mind if the games are called close but i hate one sided calls that don't get called the other way.

Jaydog57 likes this.
  15. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bro don't start crying about the refs. The game was called well.

Pens just look faster and more phsyical than the Flyers. Tonight was total domination.

The Flyers' thuggery at the end was frikkin ridiculous though. That cross check on Staal was bush league and uncalled for. Hope that's not something that will continue.

16. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Not a good start for the Flyers at all. Pens whooped us all over the ice. I know Pagan is shaking in his leather pants though, all the games won't be like this. :tongue2:

anlgp likes this.
  17. anlgp

The game was one sided.

5-2 on penalty calls for the penguins?

how bout the time where a flyer was charged behind his own net and no call? how bout the little love tap hook that was called against the flyer? it didn't impede his play any... yet i saw a flyer get hooked in the same manner - and no call.

the pens did play better. they were faster and more physical. and most importantly they MADE THINGS HAPPEN. The flyers waited for things to happen (and hit the damn post a lot) and in the NHL you just don't do that to win games. You guys did what you needed to to win.. which is why you did.

i will agree with you the BS has got to stop. I don't enjoy seeing my hockey team play like a bunch of babies. There were a few things that the flyers did that were uncalled for, the Staal one among them; the hartnell interference against flury (which was called). Others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I want my hockey team to win clean games.

If you do defeat us this series (which if we keep playing at this pace, you will) I hope whoever gets you next crushes you.

Good game; but it's only one game out of a possible seven. The fat lady isn't done singing yet.

18. anlgp

dude you are a flyers fan?

if so, :knucks:

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  19. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    My Rangers off to a 1-0 lead in the series with the over-rated Captials thanks to another solid performance by THE KING HENRIK and a surprising show up game for our Power Play unit. :up:

Rangers will win this in 6.

20. anlgp

You mean Henrik Lundqvuistsistist?

21. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    King Henrik.

22. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Bruins vs Habs: Bruins in 7
    Im not sold on Boston's goaltending but I am sold on Montreal's. Boston having a better team in front of Thomas will ultimately help them win the series but not before the Habs steal a few games. If Montreal wants to steal the series its going to take a huge series from guys like Higgins and Kovalev.

Caps vs Rags: Rags in 6
    I hate to do this cause being an Isles fan I absolutely hate the Rags but I have nothing other then a gut feeling to go on when I say they'll win the series. Lundqvist is good enough to steal any series and I think he does it here. Sean Avery was the missing link that makes this team go.

Devils vs Canes: Devils in 7
    This should be the best of the first round matchups in the east and Im looking forward to a good battle. The Canes won 3 of 4 in the regular season and were red hot down the stretch. But no way Im betting against Brodeur in the first round when they have home ice even though the Devils havent given us a good run in a while.

Pens and Flyers: Pens in 5
    Flyers have neither the defense or the goaltending to win this series.

Sharks vs Ducks: Ducks in 7
    I agree the Sharks are chokers. Pronger and Getzlaf will go a long way towards taking this series.

Wings vs Jackets: Wings in 7
    No one is giving the Jackets a chance and frankly there's no reason to. I still see them busting their butts and stealing a few games. Nash will have to be huge for them.

Canucks vs Blues: Canucks in 5
    Luongo is the advantage and while the Blues are a tough gritty team they cant match that.

Blackhawks vs Flames: Flames in 6
    Since the Flames great run a few years ago Kipper hasnt been the same but I could see a deep playoff run for this group. Phanuef and Reghyr lead a physical group of D-men that should beat up the hawks young talent most of whom are not playoff tested.

23. anlgp

defense, not for the most part. timmonen is great.

goaltending? if biron plays like he did last year then we can get it done. if he plays like he did tonight (yesterday) in game 1; we're screwed. the team has to step up and help him as well.

24. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Ive said it before and I'll say it again: Bobby Clarke is great at drafting forwards but he is the absolute worst at assembling a blueline and finding a good goalie. Whatever he touches just turns to crap at those two positions.

Kimmo is solid; the rest...not so much. :shifty:

25. anlgp

Sbisa will be good in a few years :up:

I know that does little right now

26. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    36 wins (6th)
    2.10 GAA (1st)
    .933 Save Percentage (1st)

Timmy has to do it in the playoffs but c'mon Boik. Being sold on the headcase that is Carey Price (24th in wins, 31st in GAA, 31st in Save Percentage) is a little bit of a reach. The only goaltenders who are in the playoffs that were worse statistically than Price were Kipper, Theodore and Chris Osgood and whenever you hear someone talking about the Flames, Caps or Red Wings they say the reason they WON'T win is because of goaltending.

I am not counting on anything given the history of these two teams in the playoffs. In fact, I'm terrified but it is not because of the goaltending. I'm afraid of the officials and the Canadiens powerplay waking up.

FaninPatsyLand likes this.
  27. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    As for tonight...

The Canucks dominated 5 on 5, they totally owned the game but they took a LOT of penalties that the Blues could not capitalize on. Roberto Luongo was very good and I can see the Canucks defense taking over the series at some point...as long as they stop taking penalties.

The Pens looked good but they had a lot of luck in my opinion going their way tonight. The Flyers next good bounce will be their first. The end got a little chippy but Pagan mentioned the Staal hit from behind. I saw it totally different. Staal sold it like a flopper and almost hurt himself doing it. That said, Scott Hartnell (who is a piece of crap) should get a fine and a warning for going knee on knee on Letang as should Carsillo for being a moron. If the Flyers keep running around like they did tonight they could be done really quick.

The Devils are back. that late season swoon was a blip. They suffocated the 'Canes tonight. Complete domination.

The Capitals better figure out how to (A) find a goaltender because Theodore was brutal and (B) stop worrying about Sean Avery or they could be done. Henrik stole one tonight and he could steal a series.

B's versus Habs tomorrow...I'm feeling sick with anticipation.

28. anlgp

flyers shots hit the pole way too damn much. what did carcillo do beside push a guy when the ref was right in front of him? did i miss something (asking seriously)?

penguins guys went knee to knee with flyers players too. they should all be fined for that **** I can't stand dirty hockey.

29. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Bro, what game were you watching???? Go look it up, until the cluster**** in the final minute, penalty calls were 7 for Philly and 5 for the Pens.

We went through this **** all last playoffs. Let's not do it again. :pity:

Overrated Caps? You mean as opposed to your team that went STORMING into the playoffs? :rolleyes:

Dude, the Rangers backed their way in. They just as easily could have been watching from home this weekend. :wink2:

30. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    A couple of thoughts:

Man, the Pens were impressive last night, thorough domination. And Uni is right, Scott Hartnell is a douche. Also, I don't see how Flyer fans can complain about the hooking call on Asham in the 1st period. It didn't impede the guy's progress much, but his stick was parallel to the ice, that's a textbook hooking call.

Not to beat a dead horse here, as Uni's numbers speak for themselves, but Carey Price has been pathetic in his recent playoff appearences (he was brutal in the 2nd half of that 1st round series against Boston last year). Yes, Thomas has never carried a team either, but he doesn't need to... especially considering how deep they are along the blue line and how the team has appeared to buy into Julien's defensive system.

I cannot wait for tonight. Chara and Lucic better set the tone (legally) early in this game and send the message that Montreal will not get away with their chicken **** style of physical hockey in this series. The key to this series is simple, and I can't stress this enough, Boston CANNOT take dumb retaliatory penalties and keep Montreal in these games. If this series is played at even strength, Boston will dominate.

Let's go B's!

unifiedtheory likes this.
  31. unifiedtheory

Nov 24, 2007
    Burnaby, BC, Canada
    If you can find it on youtube watch it again. He does not even try to win that face off and lands an elbow to someones head...that is a little dirty.

anlgp likes this.
  32. anlgp

:lol: I didn't watch the last minute (or at least don't remember it). Way too pissed.

Did we go thru this or do you mean you and flyers fans?

Anyway if the penalties were that close I have no objections. I'm not gonna argue with ya bro. Your team played great last night. We didn't. That's the bottom line. We could have killed off your power plays but we didn't nor did we capitalise on ours. That and sloth skating killed us.

33. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007

Even worse, that Knee on Knee shoul've warranted a suspension. Why is it always PHI that does dirty s$#t like that. Remember how many suspensions they had last year? I guess why should this year be any different?

34. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    Nah man, we didn't go at it...it was fans of ANY team that played the Pens in the playoffs last year. It was all I heard. That and the "Crosby's a diver" routine. :rolleyes: :lol:

Oh man bro, the last minute was insane. If it wasn't so bad it would have been comical. TOTAL meltdown by the Flyers.

Actually, you did very well on the power plays. We only scored one PP goal.

anlgp likes this.
  35. anlgp

yeah we didn't score any i don't think and i think that's partially the difference.... one was definitely birons fault on a gift out in front.. one was a nice PP goal.. the other two were just sloppy play.

i'd like to say good luck in game 2... but i can't. :lol:

and mike richards if you hit the post three times in this game and don't score i'm going to be pissed.

36. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    LMAO....I'm still trying to figure out what game you watched bro! Your goal WAS a PP goal! :lol:

anlgp likes this.
  37. wpgfishfan

wpgfishfan Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Well I had my hockey draft and I stacked up on these 4 teams

Washington
    New Jersey
    Detroit
    Chicago- homer pick as they have Toews from Winnipeg and Khabby who was the JETS last goalie

I am not sold on Thomas in Boston and that's why I did not pick them and San Jose usually chokes

38. anlgp

I get kinda excited during hockey so half of it goes in one ear and out the other.

I'm sure I realized it at the time but afterwards... eh the only thing that matters is the final score and really what matters is the series.

39. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    And just to point out, you won't see me complain about the refs even though the penalty that gave you that PP was bogus.

MAF was reaching out with his stick to play the puck and a Flyer came crashing the net and tripped over it, and the called him for tripping.

40. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Yes I am. Not nearly as big as the Dolphins, but I do follow them.